Hi there,

just a quick question, I just purchased a secondary blackberry that I'm going to use for travel and backup if my 8900 ever goes down, I had it unlocked, its an 8520. I probably travel overseas or to the USA 2-3 times a year if that. I dont like using my "daily-use" blackberry cause of the expensive roaming voice/data charges with rogers, I always buy a local sim card to where I'm traveling (I have a pretty good collection of sim cards from around the world).

I was just wondering, when the "secondary/backup" blackberry is not in use, what is the best way to store it, do i leave the battery in? fully charge it and shut it down and pull the battery? keep it on and charge it once in awhile? is there any prep before that I need to do before she goes on siesta,

I've heard of people not being to use their phone once its been out of use for sometime (just wouldnt boot), my old nokias never had a problem but not sure about the blackberries

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Titan
    07-26-10 06:21 AM
    I dont think you will have a problem with it booting after along time of no use... But I would just turn it off. Keeping the battery out isnt needed but it wont hurt either.
    07-26-10 06:30 AM
    I dont think you will have a problem with it booting after along time of no use... But I would just turn it off. Keeping the battery out isnt needed but it wont hurt either.
    Agreed, you could go a very long time without ever booting it up and it would boot up no problem but to save time just turn it off. If you're worried about it turning back on then yes take out the battery but turning it off should suffice, just make sure you dont have an alarm set I did that with my old bb and had to figure out why my alarm on my bb wouldn't go off lol, it was 0430 though
    07-26-10 07:27 AM
    Reduce your battery to about 45% - 50% capacity before you turn it off to store it. If you store the battery with a full charge it will dissipate very quickly but a half full battery will last a lot longer in storage.
    07-26-10 10:00 AM
    Reduce your battery to about 45% - 50% capacity before you turn it off to store it. If you store the battery with a full charge it will dissipate very quickly but a half full battery will last a lot longer in storage.
    Can I ask why this is? Really curious now lol
    07-26-10 10:39 AM
    I've always been under the impression that it's best if you're going to be storing a phone for any period of time, to remove the battery. I figure it can't hurt...
    07-26-10 10:56 AM
    Can I ask why this is? Really curious now lol
    I can't remember the technical reason, but LIon batteries discharge fastest when at full capacity. It's why they are all shipped with a half charge.

As for storing them outside the device I'd do that if storing it for a month or more.
    07-26-10 11:10 AM
    thanks guys for the heads up!
    07-27-10 01:07 PM
    I can't remember the technical reason, but LIon batteries discharge fastest when at full capacity. It's why they are all shipped with a half charge.

As for storing them outside the device I'd do that if storing it for a month or more.
    Thanks! Ya learn something new every day
    07-27-10 04:20 PM
    Leaving the battery in the device will drain the battery.
    Remember to keep the battery at room temperature or lower. - lower being better.
    07-27-10 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD