I've commented on this before but here's an update...

One of my colleagues lost his BBOS7 phone recently. He dutifully went to the same phone shop we have used for years to get a replacement. They REALLY pushed him toward an SG4 (the store owners own them and call them the 'iPhone killer').

He comes to a meeting, picks up my Z10 and says 'I want this. I wish I hadn't ordered the SG4.'. I say, 'No, the amount you talk and SMS/Email you need a Z30 - top of the range, HUGE battery and although BB10 is new, I can take you through it.'

He asks me to call the local independent phone shop and they, rather sneeringly, agree to get a Z30 for him. Apologies as I have repeated my previous thread on this but that's where we were up to 10 days ago.

Today I discover that the Z30 still hasn't arrived. It would seem that the suppliers of the local phone shop, Carphone Warehouse, cannot supply a Z30. My colleague is told by the local independent phone shop that Carphone Warehouse, in the whole of the UK, have sold 'only 4 Z30's in 2 weeks', and that 'They say that there is a strong feeling that BlackBerry will be going soon or at least rebranded. That coupled with the fact that any new BlackBerry (as opposed to my old one) uses a new operating system will pose me just as many problems as any new phone... I asked about a Z10 but they said only in white and that's no good to me so I might as well get the SG4.'

I look on the Carphone Warehouse website and they are offering the Z30 on contract with next day delivery. I ask him about this and he says 'well, the store said that's what they say on there but they haven't got any.'

This despite the fact that the SG4 is entirely inappropriate for him. He has no interest in apps. All he is bothered about is call quality, SMS, BBM Voice/Video, Skype and Email and, believe you me, his phone is BATTERED by communication. He hasn't got time for custom ROM this or rooting that and he is just not interested.

He just wants a phone that works out of the box as a phone and lasts as long as possible!

The Z30 would have been perfect for him, as his first touch keyboard. I've actually told him now he should go back and get a Q10 - not because I've anything against the SG4 (it takes very nice pictures!) but because it just isn't right for him. I've actually told him I give it a week before he slings it against a wall, as none of us can help him with it.

Too late though now, it's CrackBerry fanboy vs local phone shop knowledge plus a sprinkle of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt thrown in despite the fact that the SG4 will, I know, do his head in (British for annoy him very much indeed!). Not because it's a bad phone - it's not. But it won't suit him at all...

So, I've had an idea. From now on any new starters with us will get a phone bought by us, off contract and they can get their own data plan with whoever they like. This doesn't really happen in the UK, we're used to getting phones free on contract but I can't sit back and listen to these sorts of lies and poor salesmanship.

Job done.
    Last edited by bigglybobblyboo; 10-18-13 at 06:00 PM.
    10-18-13 05:45 PM
    Sounds like an anti-BlackBerry salesperson. I find it very hard to believe that they've only sold four Z30s, nation-wide. Riiight...

If all he does is call, email, and text message, then I think the Q10 is a good fit for him. Not a huge slab, it fits nicely in the pocket and has excellent battery life and a very good keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    bigglybobblyboo and Deanig_12 like this.
    10-18-13 05:53 PM
    So, I've had an idea. From now on any new starters with us will get a phone bought by us, off contract and they can get their own data plan with whoever they like. This doesn't really happen in the UK, we're used to getting phones free on contract but I can't sit back and listen to these sorts of lies and poor salesmanship.

Job done.
    And after you've done the first one that way, the next thing to do is ring up said phone shop and share with them how much business they've lost, and how you're going to do it.
    :>) Eff 'em if they can't take a joke!
    bigglybobblyboo likes this.
    10-18-13 05:55 PM
    Sounds like an anti-BlackBerry salesperson. I find it very hard to believe that they've only sold four Z30s, nation-wide. Riiight...

If all he does is call, email, and text message, then I think the Q10 is a good fit for him. Not a huge slab, it fits nicely in the pocket and has excellent battery life and a very good keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. The SG4, whilst, as I say, is a decent phone in itself, isn't going to do him any favours at all.
    10-18-13 05:57 PM
    And after you've done the first one that way, the next thing to do is ring up said phone shop and share with them how much business they've lost, and how you're going to do it.
    :>) Eff 'em if they can't take a joke!
    That's Mondays first job!
    10-18-13 05:57 PM
    What's the difference between loading android roms and BlackBerry leaks?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 06:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    One of them comes from a trusted source. Guess which one?
    miker476 likes this.
    10-18-13 06:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    This isn't the right thread for this, but here's a quick rundown:

* Loading Android ROMs means rooting the device and installing a custom operating system. The bootloader is unlocked, so this is possible.

* However, the bootloaders on BB10 phones are locked, so it is not possible to root them and install a custom OS. Leaked OSs are still made by BlackBerry so they will still work. They are just the current non-release version of the OS that got "leaked" to the public somehow.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 06:09 PM
    Yes I’ve had a similar experience myself in a Uk phone store, was in the store checking out the z10 when it first came out (them none functional sticky demo models) and the person next to me asked about looking at a I think a 9900 and was swiftly diverted to the Samsung models and am guessing that the words ‘Blackberry’ were never mentioned again for the fear of death...
    10-18-13 07:18 PM
    Could y'all just report a problem, instead of responding to it? Please
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    10-18-13 08:45 PM
    Could y'all just report a problem, instead of responding to it? Please
    Will do.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-18-13 09:15 PM
    This despite the fact that the SG4 is entirely inappropriate for him. He has no interest in apps. All he is bothered about is call quality, SMS, BBM Voice/Video, Skype and Email and, believe you me, his phone is BATTERED by communication. He hasn't got time for custom ROM this or rooting that and he is just not interested.
    Blimey, guv, you need to get yourself a clue, you do.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    10-18-13 09:52 PM
    Blimey, guv, you need to get yourself a clue, you do.

And the intent of that comment was...?

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    10-18-13 11:17 PM
    Store Situation So Badly Biased In UK I'm Taking Our Company Off Contract...-img_00000853_edit.png

Posted via CB10(BBM#22) on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    gfondeur, tmanthib, bradu1 and 7 others like this.
    10-18-13 11:33 PM
    I've commented on this before but here's an update...

One of my colleagues lost his BBOS7 phone recently. He dutifully went to the same phone shop we have used for years to get a replacement. They REALLY pushed him toward an SG4 (the store owners own them and call them the 'iPhone killer').

He comes to a meeting, picks up my Z10 and says 'I want this. I wish I hadn't ordered the SG4.'. I say, 'No, the amount you talk and SMS/Email you need a Z30 - top of the range, HUGE battery and although BB10 is new, I can take you through it.'

He asks me to call the local independent phone shop and they, rather sneeringly, agree to get a Z30 for him. Apologies as I have repeated my previous thread on this but that's where we were up to 10 days ago.

Today I discover that the Z30 still hasn't arrived. It would seem that the suppliers of the local phone shop, Carphone Warehouse, cannot supply a Z30. My colleague is told by the local independent phone shop that Carphone Warehouse, in the whole of the UK, have sold 'only 4 Z30's in 2 weeks', and that 'They say that there is a strong feeling that BlackBerry will be going soon or at least rebranded. That coupled with the fact that any new BlackBerry (as opposed to my old one) uses a new operating system will pose me just as many problems as any new phone... I asked about a Z10 but they said only in white and that's no good to me so I might as well get the SG4.'

I look on the Carphone Warehouse website and they are offering the Z30 on contract with next day delivery. I ask him about this and he says 'well, the store said that's what they say on there but they haven't got any.'

He just wants a phone that works out of the box as a phone and lasts as long as possible!

The Z30 would have been perfect for him, as his first touch keyboard. I've actually told him now he should go back and get a Q10 - not because I've anything against the SG4 (it takes very nice pictures!) but because it just isn't right for him. I've actually told him I give it a week before he slings it against a wall, as none of us can help him with it.

Too late though now, it's CrackBerry fanboy vs local phone shop knowledge plus a sprinkle of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt thrown in despite the fact that the SG4 will, I know, do his head in (British for annoy him very much indeed!). Not because it's a bad phone - it's not. But it won't suit him at all...

Job done.
    One question: is the 'independent phone shop' Carphone Warehouse? (I'm just asking for clarification).

There are plenty of UK retailers selling the Z30 off-contract, just Google them.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    10-18-13 11:37 PM
    the only reason why they would push one phone over another is because of "incentives" for pushing a phone.
    10-18-13 11:42 PM
    And the intent of that comment was...?

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    If you don't know, you obviously need a clue as well. Or maybe you don't have time for custom ROMs and rooting either, just like the fictitious chap in the OP's cockeyed ramblings.

10-18-13 11:45 PM
    If you don't know, you obviously need a clue as well. Or maybe you don't have time for custom ROMs and rooting either, just like the fictitious chap in the OP's cockeyed ramblings.

Maybe I do need a clue. Enlighten me, because I really have no idea what you're talking about.

And the "fictitious chap" seems pretty genuine. What's been said here matches what the OP has said elsewhere on completely different topics at different times.

10-19-13 12:24 AM
    Hey BBB, can you return the phone?

#IchooseBlackBerry10 (BB#25)
    10-19-13 01:14 AM
    I agree this has been my experience from each phone shop I have gone in, nobody wants to sell you a blackberry z10 or 30 and look at you if you are mad if you ask to see one as they seem to have a bad opinion of them.
    10-19-13 02:00 AM
    I know that some manufacturers offer sales reps trips and other incentives for selling their phones. For example I had a friend who used to work at wireless wave and he sold a certain amount of Samsung gear over a certain period and he won an all inclusive trip somewhere nice. So there are financial incentives for salespeople to direct you to a certain product.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 02:52 AM
    So he got an S4? I think the stores do get paid a premium by Samsung right...

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 03:18 AM
    If I was to get a phone that just works out of the box I would get an iPhone. Very easy to operate with almost no learning curve.
    10-19-13 03:47 AM
    Wow that's quite strange. When I went in car phone warehouse in Nottingham. They had none and went in three stores. They did say they were selling well tho

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 04:31 AM
    Production numbers for the z30 could be very low to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-19-13 04:41 AM
44 12