So you may think from the thread title
    "Traitor!"
    "How could you go against BlackBerry?"

Let me explain.
    So funny thing happened today. I went into a Rogers store here in Toronto to buy a flip case for my Z10. While I was choosing between black and white, I noticed a man talking to a woman about the Z10. (all the sales people were busy so this customer was helping her instead.)

She was upgrading from a curve 9300 and she was thinking of an iPhone since it had apps like Netflix and Instagram and BlackBerry doesn't have any apps. However the guy talking to her whipped out his Z10 and said look "I have Instagram and Netflix and also have vine"

She was impressed and said she was going to choose the Z10 since she wanted to stick with BlackBerry and now it had apps so the choice was clear. However I had to intervene.

Me:
    "Excuse me miss, I don't think the Z10 would be a good choice, I think an iPhone will be a better fit instead. The Z10 doesn't have Instagram or Netflix or any of the apps you said you wanted"

The guy:
    "Of course it does! Look I have it on my phone, you just don't know anything about the new BlackBerry's do you?"

Me:
    "No I know all about it (I pull out my own Z10, guy looked surprised)
    Now miss you can get these apps however you will not find them in the app store. You will have to sideload them. First you will have to install either an unlocked android runtime, or register a debug token online. You can install either of these by downloading a program called Sachesi or use an extension on Google Chrome. Then in order to get Instagram and other apps on your phone you will need to download what's called an apk from a site and then convert it into a bar, or you can find already converted bars online. Then you can drag and drop them onto your BlackBerry by connecting with a usb cable then you will have these apps. However they will have limited functionality. You will not be able to buy items or use specific services. Also the app may stop working g anytime of the developer decides to change the api's"

The lady looked stunned and extremely confused. I told her an iPhone would be a better fit for her since it has all the apps she is looking for. She ended up leaving with one. The guy who tried to sway her to a Z10 was obviously a Crackberry member (I'm pretty he will read this post lol) due to his knowledge of BlackBerry 10 and sideloading, but mainly trying to act as a salesman.

But long story short, do not tell people lies or the partial truth. BlackBerry does not have Instagram (no 3rd party does not count for most consumers), Netflix, vine, Google maps, snapchat, shazam, and pretty much all of the other top apps. Unless it is in BlackBerry World, we cannot tell people yes BlackBerry has "x" app. The average consumer does not want to fiddle around with their phone like me and many other Crackberry people do. They do not want to sideload or load leaked os's. All they want is to search for an app and download it.

How would you feel if you went into a Honda dealership and the guy told you "this has over 300hp!" only to buy it and take it home and be dissapointed. That you must tweak the ecu, get a turbo, upgrade exhaust etc. To a car person this is no big deal, but to the average person it is.

So all I am saying is, stop trying to sell BlackBerry for features the average consumer will never have access to.

Rant over

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 05:02 PM
    good guy z10 owner tells others to sway away from z10 if they arent tech savvy enough to get the apps they want.
    11-14-13 05:06 PM
    Uh, 10.2.1. Heh heh heh....
    11-14-13 05:06 PM
    Uh, 10.2.1. Heh heh heh....
    Haha OK. Just make sure you have the -1 model!!

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-14-13 05:08 PM
    When 10.2.1 is released it will fix the problem, but until then you sir are correct and saved a woman from hating BlackBerry more. If she would have bought the Z10 and had troubles it would have been returned and she would have never bought another.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 05:12 PM
    When 10.2.1 is released it will fix the problem, but until then you sir are correct and saved a woman from hating BlackBerry more. If she would have bought the Z10 and had troubles it would have been returned and she would have never bought another.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, much easier to bring someone back to BlackBerry if they are neutral with it, then if they hate it.

Posted via CB10
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    11-14-13 05:16 PM
    Can't wait to see the thread: "BEWARE: We have been infiltrated!!!: Samsung/Apple paying Z10 'owners' to roam around stores and scare people away from upgrading to BB10!!!!" (with the usual seemingly-inevitable title typos, of course).

It's gonna be great.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 05:21 PM
    This is great, minus did she go out understanding that BB10 is still a new platform and even though it currently does not have the apps she is looking for in six months it may? I don't know, of course the sales rep should not have said that it has those Apps. But at the same time, did you engage her enough to find out if those apps were ones she used or if those were ones she had heard of? Does she actually watch Netflix on the 4inch screen on her phone? Without an Apple Air device she can't stream it to a TV, wouldn't it have been better to recommend a Samsung? I'm just curious, because it sounds like you did the right thing but at the same time left a user with the impression that BlackBerry is subpar, and further more still didn't engage in the actual needs of the user.

I also suggest those who really want those Apps to go Android as down the road, in say a year or two when it is time to upgrade again I tell them Black Berry might be ready for them than. At that time I hope that Google Play or at least runtime support is better integrated into the phone so that the switch is easier for the end user. I also usually find out which kind of tablet they might possibly have, what do their friends use? Are they concerned about security?

Well I guess to each their own, just curious as I would hate this to be another person who just thinks BlackBerry is dead and has gone off and been lost as a permanent customer. I know it's difficult to get those users back once they leave.
    gfondeur and GitchaGitcha like this.
    11-14-13 05:25 PM
    Exactly, much easier to bring someone back to BlackBerry if they are neutral with it, then if they hate it.

Posted via CB10

Really...? Well done you.

So, you have saved a poor deluded customer from buying the phone that they wanted from one of the last remaining sales reps that believes in the product enough.

And before you come all 'holier than thou' over me think about all those people, across the world right now, who NEEDED a BB10 device with what it did straight out of the box but have been stuck with a crappy imitation instead where they then spent however long trying to find the 'app for that' because the salesman said it was best.

When this company needs sales...

If you are a BB fan on a BB fan site...

I despair...
    11-14-13 05:28 PM
    I don't understand this thread. But, kudos on a job well done. Steering away someone from a BlackBerry Z10 to an iPhone is a very important task to take on. Well done. We need more like you.
    This is great, minus did she go out understanding that BB10 is still a new platform and even though it currently does not have the apps she is looking for in six months it may? I don't know, of course the sales rep should not have said that it has those Apps. But at the same time, did you engage her enough to find out if those apps were ones she used or if those were ones she had heard of? Does she actually watch Netflix on the 4inch screen on her phone? Without an Apple Air device she can't stream it to a TV, wouldn't it have been better to recommend a Samsung? I'm just curious, because it sounds like you did the right thing but at the same time left a user with the impression that BlackBerry is subpar, and further more still didn't engage in the actual needs of the user.

I also suggest those who really want those Apps to go Android as down the road, in say a year or two when it is time to upgrade again I tell them Black Berry might be ready for them than. At that time I hope that Google Play or at least runtime support is better integrated into the phone so that the switch is easier for the end user. I also usually find out which kind of tablet they might possibly have, what do their friends use? Are they concerned about security?

Well I guess to each their own, just curious as I would hate this to be another person who just thinks BlackBerry is dead and has gone off and been lost as a permanent customer. I know it's difficult to get those users back once they leave.
    I get what you mean, but many consumers are not going to "support" phones like we do. They don't want to hear in 6 months time it may have a certain app. They want it now, and if not, then they will get the phone that does.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    Hard to sell someone on an iPhone. Like selling water to someone in a desert.

SGN3--->5S----> z30. CB10
    Coachbulldog, loyalIND and cckgz4 like this.
    11-14-13 05:29 PM

Really...? Well done you.

So, you have saved a poor deluded customer from buying the phone that they wanted from one of the last remaining sales reps that believes in the product enough.

And before you come all 'holier than thou' over me think about all those people, across the world right now, who NEEDED a BB10 device with what it did straight out of the box but have been stuck with a crappy imitation instead where they then spent however long trying to find the 'app for that' because the salesman said it was best.

When this company needs sales...

If you are a BB fan on a BB fan site...

I despair...
    You dont get what I am saying. She wanted apps, and BlackBerry 10 does not have those apps.
    OK if I stayed silent and watched her buy it, she would of returned it the next day when she finds no top apps in the app store.
    And this wasn't a salesman, he was a customer also helping out this lady. NOT a salesman

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 05:31 PM
    Wait until she try to drag and drop music files and realizes she needs to play with iTunes. Or wait until she realizes there is no removable SD card, LED and removable battery. Lots of things she was use to with her BlackBerry are now gone. But hey she has Netflix which she never used before but thinks she will suddenly now watch movies on that gigantic iPhone screen. She prolly had to sign a 2 year contacts and her plan is now $70 month +tax. All for Netflix ha

I could go on lol

11-14-13 05:34 PM
    Awesome story. Good man, Jason. Nice to know that kind of helpful honesty still exists in some people. Well done! :-)

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-14-13 05:35 PM
    And the moral of this story is, BlackBerry Rocks!
    Dont listen to no one just buy the BlackBerry phone and you will love it period!

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-14-13 05:35 PM
    I would've let her buy the Z10. She was after all a BlackBerry user and the onus is on the sales guy. Who knows, maybe she would've enjoyed sideloading
    11-14-13 05:36 PM
    I'm with you man. I have steered people in those directions before. From they time they say they want apps that aren't readily available for BlackBerry, I tell them which way to go away from BlackBerry.

They wouldn't be satisfied with it. Not everyone gets a new phone every year like I do. I rather support the person than the business.
    richardat and bbq10l like this.
    11-14-13 05:37 PM
    You dont get what I am saying. She wanted apps, and BlackBerry 10 does not have those apps.
    OK if I stayed silent and watched her buy it, she would of returned it the next day when she finds no top apps in the app store.
    And this wasn't a salesman, he was a customer also helping out this lady. NOT a salesman

Posted via CB10
    So he really told her she could get the apps from app world without side loading? I'd never do such a thing personally. I'd. Mention with a lite bit of research you could get them or wait until the next couple of updates.

11-14-13 05:38 PM
    I get what you mean, but many consumers are not going to "support" phones like we do. They don't want to hear in 6 months time it may have a certain app. They want it now, and if not, then they will get the phone that does.

Posted via CB10
    And did this lady want vine or instagram? Is she going to be installing them on her new iPhone? This lady was upgrading from a CURVE. She apparently didn't even need a top of the line BBOS phone. She doesn't strike me as an app crazy user.

But hey, I'm glad you were able to "save" her. I too have talked people into going to other phones, but ONLY after finding out what their needs were. And I would NEVER turn around and brag about it on a FAN SITE. By posting this thread you knew you would **** people off. May I suggest you check out imore.com I suspect they will be more appreciative of your "help"......but then I guess you wouldn't get the reaction you want from that site would you?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 05:41 PM
    Wow. I didn't even read the op's post. However what's the point of this thread?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 05:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    So you assumed that she either would be dissatisfied within 24 hours, or she was a complete Moron who hadn't done any investigating about how to side load android apps. You did her a disservice, because the phone she wanted was available and there are ways for her to get the apps she wanted. basically you imposed your narrow point of view onto her purchasing decision.

so basically if you and i were at a car dealer, and i was looking at a jeep, you would steer me towards a prius, because you assume to know more that me what i want.

I would have knocked you flat on rear end if you had done that to me/
    11-14-13 05:44 PM
    And did this lady want vine or instagram? Is she going to be installing them on her new iPhone? This lady was upgrading from a CURVE. She apparently didn't even need a top of the line BBOS phone. She doesn't strike me as an app crazy user.

But hey, I'm glad you were able to "save" her. I too have talked people into going to other phones, but ONLY after finding out what their needs were. And I would NEVER turn around and brag about it on a FAN SITE. By posting this thread you knew you would **** people off. May I suggest you check out imore.com I suspect they will be more appreciative of your "help"

Posted via CB10
    She specifically wanted Instagram and vine yes. Her needs were apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 05:46 PM
    Thank God for these types of threads..on CrackBerry. They complete my day! LMFAO

Posted from my gorgeous Z30
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    11-14-13 05:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ok, fair enough, you have saved the lady from the BB fan customer NOT the sales rep (knew it was too good to be true, my bad, I was hoping I guess...).

So, just out of interest, what features of OS7 do you think she will miss with her iPhone? Did you ask what she liked about it?

She may have mentioned apps, but did you point out the things to her that she was used to that she wouldn't get with her new iPhone? You know, all that communicating easily stuff that she probably does now?

The unified inbox, for example?

Never mind the iapps, did you show her the Hub?

Are you sure that wasn't what she ACTUALLY needed and that apps were just a want rather than a need?

In other words, did you qualify your prospect properly?

Or did you just decide what she wanted was an iPhone based on what you heard in 60 seconds?
    11-14-13 05:48 PM
300 123 ...