Wouldn't say the Troll got me mad, more like Continental airlines. Got up at 5:30am to drive Miss CrackBerry to the airport (she's off to Vegas for a week for a tradeshow for her job). They oversold the flight and she didn't get on. Sooo mad. So we both came home ticked, off, I saw this thread... and yeah... I guess I saw the thread title, read the post, and yeah... responded.

Though really, I had a ton of fun on the Engadget Mobile podcast on Friday playing the role of "BlackBerry Defender". The more I think on it and hear others arguments against RIM, the more I'm getting excited (again) that RIM can pull off a pretty stellar comeback (talking US market - I get they are still strong in a lot of other markets) if they get everything aligned right and execute.

I think my new mission for the forums here will be to respond to every troll comment. A week of doing that and the trolls will realize they might as well not even bother trolling to begin with. Good idea?

Absolutely!.....and yes, the BB is positioned very favorably in overseas markets, and I have personally witnessed in the last 2 years how popular the Blackberry brand is in places such as Africa, South America, and the Middle East.
    01-29-12 11:34 AM
    Wouldn't say the Troll got me mad, more like Continental airlines. Got up at 5:30am to drive Miss CrackBerry to the airport (she's off to Vegas for a week for a tradeshow for her job). They oversold the flight and she didn't get on. Sooo mad. So we both came home ticked, off, I saw this thread... and yeah... I guess I saw the thread title, read the post, and yeah... responded.

Though really, I had a ton of fun on the Engadget Mobile podcast on Friday playing the role of "BlackBerry Defender". The more I think on it and hear others arguments against RIM, the more I'm getting excited (again) that RIM can pull off a pretty stellar comeback (talking US market - I get they are still strong in a lot of other markets) if they get everything aligned right and execute.

I think my new mission for the forums here will be to respond to every troll comment. A week of doing that and the trolls will realize they might as well not even bother trolling to begin with. Good idea?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Stick around the forums more often and put the trolls in their place Lets bring back the CrackBerry forums to its glory days that we all know and love!
    maddie1128 likes this.
    01-29-12 11:42 AM
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Stick around the forums more often and put the trolls in their place Lets bring back the CrackBerry forums to its glory days that we all know and love!
    I'm afraid it'll take more than a few random appearances from Kevin for that to happen. Hopefully once BB10 is released things will start to change..
    01-29-12 11:46 AM
    I'm afraid it'll take more than a few random appearances from Kevin for that to happen. Hopefully once BB10 is released things will start to change..
    That may be so, but I'm of the opinion we shouldn't have to wait for the next BB superhit to tone down the hateful demagoguery. Some really good, albeit, a bit over enthusiastic, members have been banned because they just had enough of the overt trollery, and because they defended the Blackberry brand perhaps a tad beyond what the forum rules permit, they are now, sadly, no more.
    Pdinos3, spike12, Dapper37 and 3 others like this.
    01-29-12 12:04 PM
    I see that you got that Skyrocket. Let me know how it works for you. I'm still leaning towards the Vivid.
    *****MOMENTARY DETOUR******

I've loved the last 24 hours. It's a killer device.

Although.....

1) Battery life is abysmal.....I was ready for that and I'll be tweaking the living daylights out of it
    2) Sync with my iTunes playlist is proving challenging. I've got all my music....no playlists. Pain in the patootie.
    3) Why Samsung would ship a phone without drivers is beyond ludicrous. Sent me on a chase trying to figure out what drivers I needed. Had to go digging through Samsung's website which is terrible then through Android Central, where I found a link. Then I had to repair something...can't remember what because by that time I was tossing coffee cups against the wall. Finally it worked. Then Rick and RMJones also lent some assistance. BUT....setting up the email was a no brainer in comparison to my frustrating DAYS with the Atrix.

All in all, phenomenal device.

No, I won't give up my BB. Still prefer it. The Skyrocket is an affair. The BB is a marriage.

*******BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TROLL BASHING FEST*************
    01-29-12 12:08 PM
    Why hate? I like to say "don't hate the playbook, hate the game"
    01-29-12 12:19 PM
    The hate is because there are too many people whose sense of self worth is validated by how much they bash others
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-29-12 12:20 PM
    3 Words Kevin.

About Bloody Time.

I hope you can voice this new shift in to the Mods so they can "hit back" as well.

Tolerance of the negativity under the guise of not being intolerant is exactly the thing that eats away at the core moral and usurps the point of this website.

This is not about having thicker skin and ignoring the hate, this is about charting a new course to end the "BS" tolerance specifically towards this kind of negativity/trolling that pretty much defines the forums now.
    spike12, maddie1128 and jivegirl14 like this.
    01-29-12 01:05 PM
    *****MOMENTARY DETOUR******

I've loved the last 24 hours. It's a killer device.

Although.....

1) Battery life is abysmal.....I was ready for that and I'll be tweaking the living daylights out of it
    2) Sync with my iTunes playlist is proving challenging. I've got all my music....no playlists. Pain in the patootie.
    3) Why Samsung would ship a phone without drivers is beyond ludicrous. Sent me on a chase trying to figure out what drivers I needed. Had to go digging through Samsung's website which is terrible then through Android Central, where I found a link. Then I had to repair something...can't remember what because by that time I was tossing coffee cups against the wall. Finally it worked. Then Rick and RMJones also lent some assistance. BUT....setting up the email was a no brainer in comparison to my frustrating DAYS with the Atrix.

All in all, phenomenal device.

No, I won't give up my BB. Still prefer it. The Skyrocket is an affair. The BB is a marriage.

*******BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TROLL BASHING FEST*************
    Glad you like it. Nice to have people that help you out. My Celtic blood makes me stubborn though, and i'm still going to get that Vivid. Enjoy!
    01-29-12 01:13 PM
    This may be my all-time favorite thread ever on Crackberry!! Thank you for jumping in Kevin, though sorry to hear about the mix up at the airlines. I thought it was great that the new CEO spoke with you. Still needs to prove what he preaches but we are here for him. Go RIM!
    maddie1128 likes this.
    01-29-12 02:32 PM
    ... You're saying he hasn't done anything for the brand yet. True....
    OK Kevin, I get you should write about the new CEO. Yes, it's BlackBerry news. But why not challenge him?

Example : When he said "Give us your feedback", why didn't you ask why he didn't simply read the Crackberry forums as there's lots of feedback already there? How many posts on here ask if RIM reads the CrackBerry forums, and everyone always says "Of course!", but no one really knows and there are never any official responses on here.

Why allow him to ask us to do something for him when by your own admission so far he has done nothing yet - NADA - for us, the people who have given him our money and, in the case of Crackberry participation, so much of our time and energy?

As far as I'm concerned, I appreciate your efforts in giving us all this background, but everything I've read has been corporate PR and softball Q&A, rah-rah and Barney songs. I agree RIM and Blackberry need some enthusiasm - I fight a rear-guard action every day as the lone Berry user in our company, surrounded by iPhones. But that enthusiasm needs to be based on more than "I think I can I think I can!". That's all we've had for too many years now.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but if you get a very rare opportunity to speak to a CEO, it's time to take advantage of that and ask tough questions.

- R.
    01-29-12 06:57 PM
    ...I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but if you get a very rare opportunity to speak to a CEO, it's time to take advantage of that and ask tough questions.

- R.
    Not sure how much of the interview you read or heard, but it did seem Kevin did ask some tough questions. And he got straight answers. If you heard Thor (that's got to be his Crackberry handle...), his comments and answers clearly showed to me that he is aware of the concerns expressed on this site.

One more thing. He is the CEO. Not a PR puke. And he is new in this position. He will decide how much to be engaged with Crackberry based on how fairly he is treated here. Not cupping, hugging, or otherwise gifting his junk, but having useful and frank dialog with Kevin and getting useful feedback from the site.

This should be handled like a long-term relationship and you don't want to go past first base with a CEO on the first date. How's that for a metaphor?
    Last edited by Brianflys; 01-29-12 at 07:40 PM.
    spike12 and john_v like this.
    01-29-12 07:08 PM
    Making a post like this makes me want to beat you with my old BlackBerry 7290. Or maybe my old 8700. I did get hit in the head with that thing once and it hurt like HE LL. Don't be a BBHater. Be a BBPlayer.
    I think you just "Rock and Rolled" this..
    01-29-12 07:27 PM
    Not sure how much of the interview you read or heard, but it did seem Kevin did ask some tough questions. And he got straight answers. If you heard Thor (that's got to be his Crackberry handle...), his comments and answers clearly showed to me that he is aware of the concerns expressed on this site.

One more thing. He is the CEO. Not a PR puke. And he is new in this position. He will decide how much to be engaged with Crackberry based on how fairly he is treated here. Not cupping, hugging, or otherwise gifting his junk, but having useful and frank dialog with Kevin and getting useful feedback from the site. This should be handled like a long-term relationship and you don't want to go past first base with a CEO on the first date. How's that for a metaphor?
    I read the entire interview series.

Softball question example #1 :
    "Kevin: On the topic of change, on the conference call you said, "We don't think significant change was needed." Obviously there is a lot of change already in progress with the migration (from BlackBerry OS) up to the BlackBerry 10 platform, but I'm seeing that the media and financial community are not in total agreement about that message. Can you clarify and explain why you don't think you need change? "

Alternative :
    "We've been promised a lot in the past that hasn't been delivered, or been delivered late or in less than good working order. Given that track record, why did you say on the conference call "We don't think significant change was needed?"".

Just one example of how he could have been challenged in an honest and open manner. I could go on and on. If he can't handle that, from the head of Crackberry, a HUGE fansite, then he really isn't interested in "frank dialog" (your own words). If he can handle it but doesn't have a good answer, then I am concerned for RIM's future.

In my experience, a strong person will respect you more if you ask strong questions. And you'll always, always, get better information in response.

- R.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-29-12 07:35 PM
    How could anyone NOT like Thor? Give that dude a chance.
    01-29-12 07:40 PM
    I read the entire interview series.

Softball question example #1 :
    "Kevin: On the topic of change, on the conference call you said, "We don't think significant change was needed." Obviously there is a lot of change already in progress with the migration (from BlackBerry OS) up to the BlackBerry 10 platform, but I'm seeing that the media and financial community are not in total agreement about that message. Can you clarify and explain why you don't think you need change? "

Alternative :
    "We've been promised a lot in the past that hasn't been delivered, or been delivered late or in less than good working order. Given that track record, why did you say on the conference call "We don't think significant change was needed?"".

- R.
    Uh, no. The questions were basically the same, only your setup was much more confrontational. But the most important part is that Thor answered the question completely and frankly, certainly for a CEO who has had the job less than a week.

This is not 60-Minutes. There is a tone you use with a CEO, particularly if you represent the enthusiast community and if you expect more than PR-speak in response. AND if you want to ever get another opportunity to have a future discussion.
    john_v and llllBULLSEYE like this.
    01-29-12 07:51 PM
    Seriously people, give the guy a chance to prove himself before you start to bash him...
    He took the trouble to address the Crackberry nation and of course he does this by speaking to our fearless leader, and invited us all to give him feedback, that is a really nice gesture I think, now just wait and see how things develop and start your CEO bashing next year or so...
    For the few who suggest that he should start a thread on the forum, really? you think a CEO of a company has the time to discuss every micro thingy with thousands of forum visitors? nah...that's just not realistic...

@Kevin, show those trolls the way to Mordor...they belong there...
    01-29-12 07:55 PM
    Seriously every other other article on crackberry is something about this guy, get off his nuts honestly the guy hasn't done anything as of yet for the blackberry brand
    How about you get off the internet!!

I said it before and I'll say it again, the man has been CEO for a week. And in one week he made something happen that Kevin was waiting 5 years for.
    alnamvet68 and rrrebo like this.
    01-29-12 08:03 PM
    I am new here, and I don't really know much about this Thorstein character but I find the thread title a little bit rude. Why do you think people are hugging this guys nuts? I don't see anyone hugging his nuts. I think that when you are drawn to a brand many times you get drawn to the person who is the CEO or the top person. Its just how it works, how can you respect a brand but not respect the company? If i don't respect a company I won't buy their products. I think people are just trying to give this guy a chance. Its kind of like running for the President of the USA, once the new guy comes in you don't just start bashing him, give him some time. If he ends up being a you can bash him then. Its like when Obama came and got elected and everyone thought it was the Change that was needed, and that he magically would fix everything...it just doesn't always work that way. Lets see what this guy does, maybe he will do something great. Who knows
    01-29-12 11:09 PM
    If there's no reason to hug his apple sack yet, then there's no reason to be riding his a$$ either...
    01-30-12 12:58 AM
    OK Kevin, I get you should write about the new CEO. Yes, it's BlackBerry news. But why not challenge him?

Example : When he said "Give us your feedback", why didn't you ask why he didn't simply read the Crackberry forums as there's lots of feedback already there?

- R.
    Right - because the CEO of a multi-million dollar international company has time to peruse this site and sift through the piles of troll garbage to find insightful feedback.
    rrrebo, Vee_G, sam_b77 and 1 others like this.
    01-30-12 05:49 AM
    Seriously. Grow up.

You obviously don't get it. Week one.... EXCITEMENT and ENERGY. After years of needing a shake up, this is exciting for the BlackBerry community. Heck, it's even exciting for employees at RIM who we need to be excited if we want to see BlackBerry kick some a$$. And we had an interview this week with the new CEO so are posting articles from it. I've been waiting for an interview with a RIM CEO for FIVE years. You want me to do an interview and not do any posts? I don't wake up in the morning thinking... hmm.. better not write anything for the site today. We cover everything as it happens. Week 1 of a new CEO after 27 years with the same management. Of course that's news and of course were going to cover the heck out of it. That's what we do on CrackBerry. We only cover one topic. BlackBerry. What other "tech" sites do in one or two posts on BlackBerry, we go granular and in depth and do wayyy more. We're CRACKBERRY. We're not "kinda talk about BlackBerry". And do you think we're going to only blog about Thorsten from now on and not cover any other posts on the site? Of course not. The posts always keep coming from every angle. A bump up in one topic is always temporary.

Week 2 and beyond.. I suspect the new CEO news and excitement will quickly subside so then it won't be all over the homepage as it sort of is at the moment. I'm excited for the following weeks and months ahead... have a ton of editorials and articles planned with GOOD ideas for this NEW RIM. I think you'll like those articles. You're saying he hasn't done anything for the brand yet. True. But this is a guy who does have a mandate for change and will take advice from others. We as CrackBerry Nation are going to throw our ideas out there straight up. There's change happening here for real. Not an easy road ahead for RIM and they'll have lots of challenges, but I'm definitely feeling the excitement again and want the community to feel it too. Coverage of this change on the site is good.

But seriously. Scroll down if you don't like an article. Making a post like this makes me want to beat you with my old BlackBerry 7290. Or maybe my old 8700. I did get hit in the head with that thing once and it hurt like HE LL. Don't be a BBHater. Be a BBPlayer.
    Can you change the thread title? This isn't a boys locker room.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-30-12 06:00 AM
    Can you change the thread title? This isn't a boys locker room.
    *pops Chrisy520 on the patootie with a towel and scampers off, cackling like a 9th-grader*
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-30-12 06:10 AM
    At least you said it decently.
    01-30-12 06:17 AM
    I like the title, otherwise it would just be another me too troll thread that gets locked, deleted, or members banned. With the founder of CB responding as he did, the thread has allowed for some to voice their frustrations with CB trollery, and the title is an attention getter....over 1400 views in less then 24 hours....not bad.
    Vee_G likes this.
    01-30-12 06:17 AM
240 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD