My girlfriend got her phone stolen today. and she hadn't set up her Blackberry Protect. Is she SOL? I was hoping there was a way to locate it since theres some stuff on the phone that she hadn't backed up. of course there's a passcode on there and they keep turning off the phone and turning it back on (according to my BBM D/R) .
    05-26-13 02:28 AM
    My girlfriend got her phone stolen today. and she hadn't set up her Blackberry Protect. Is she SOL? I was hoping there was a way to locate it since theres some stuff on the phone that she hadn't backed up. of course there's a passcode on there and they keep turning off the phone and turning it back on (according to my BBM D/R) .
    Go through your carrier, hopefully they have phone tracking support (they should)
    05-26-13 02:32 AM
    Assuming the device is powered on there is always a way to locate it whether or not location services are enabled... just requires the correct equipment

Kah
    05-26-13 02:34 AM
    Assuming the device is powered on there is always a way to locate it whether or not location services are enabled... just requires the correct equipment

Kah
    is this type of equipment in your possession?
    05-26-13 02:41 AM
    Can this thread be closed or deleted. AT&T couldn't locate it, and therefore because someone indeed has it and is ignoring my calls. I've decided to have it reported stolen and is consequently being blacklisted in 24 hours. Although they are shipping me a new Z10 with in 72 hours for only 100$ deductible.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS SET UP BLACKBERRY PROTECT! and encrypt your media files! (lock codes don't hurt either
    bungaboy, H_O_Boomaye and slade632 like this.
    05-26-13 03:21 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yeah.. had my bb9900 stolen three months ago... first thing they do is remove battery... can't track... but you could still remotely have device wiped.....

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 03:42 AM
    Sorry to hear this. I am curious, what happened?

BlackBerry Z10- I use it for a phone and a computer
    05-26-13 07:16 AM
    Now if only the BlackBerry Link on our desktops allow us to remotely trace or even remotely wipe wherever our devices maybe.
    05-26-13 07:22 AM
    Go on blackberry protect, type in you BlackBerry user name and password, then you have choices like locate, display message on phone, ring it even if it's on silent etc

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 07:32 AM
    And I just read she isn't using protect- ignore my previous post

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 07:32 AM
    Now if only the BlackBerry Link on our desktops allow us to remotely trace or even remotely wipe wherever our devices maybe.
    That's what BlackBerry Protect is for, and it's not bad (though a little laggy). Trouble is, the OP's girlfriend hadn't set that up yet.
    05-26-13 07:44 AM
    Yeah if she had set up her blackberry protect we would have retrieved her phone. I tried it out on my phone and it works really well for a 1.0 service. Hopefully they blacklist the phone so no one can use it.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 12:50 PM
    Blackberry protect is garbage. BBOS had better third party options that saved my phones twice. Now those developers won't develop for BB10 because they don't want to compete with blackberry protect.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 01:32 PM
    Can BlackBerry disable the PIN, so that the phone is unusable?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 03:18 PM
    Whoever at AT&T told you that phone would be blacklisted lied and probably only told you that because you asked about it. They do not blacklist phones by IMEI (the only way they'd be able to do it). No carrier in the USA does that. They do that in Europe, not here, and there's a lot of potential headaches with it - like people who sell phones, later regret it, and screw the buyer over by reporting the phone as stolen.

Or people who sell a phone and then report it as stolen to get a new one for $100 and make a profit - in those cases blocking the IMEI completely screws up the legit buyer of the device.

They don't do that, but you're free to believe it if it will make you feel better.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 05-26-13 at 05:43 PM.
    05-26-13 05:15 PM
    A PIN block by BlackBerry will only disable BlackBerry services on the device (ie BBM. BlackBerry Protect, BlackBerry World)

Everything else will still work for the thief.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 05:34 PM
    A PIN block by BlackBerry will only disable BlackBerry services on the device (ie BBM. BlackBerry Protect, BlackBerry World)

Everything else will still work for the thief.

Posted via CB10
    Yea, PIN Blocks are way less effective on BB10 than they were on the BB OSes that preceded it.
    05-26-13 05:52 PM
    Since you are out of luck with BlackBerry Protect you will have to get creative.

Wait a couple of weeks. Setup your BBM profile with a new name and a picture of a scantily clad woman. Send a BBM chat request. Chat this thief up for a while then arrange a meeting. When he realizes you are not the bikini model he believes you are, unleash the fury.

PS. Make sure you setup and TEST BlackBerry Protect with your new phone. It has saved my but multiple times.
    Balti43 likes this.
    05-26-13 07:20 PM