Ok,
    Guys, please I need your advise. Couple of months ago, early week of October last year, my phone (9800) got stolen on a bus. How it happened still puzzles me, not the type to be careless like that. Either it dropped or was smoothly taken from my pocket (hate to think its the latter). Anyway, it got stolen. Spoke to the thief who had it, he was playing games and eventually took the sim out, said so because, the line wouldn't go through.
    So, as normal, was filled with rage, hoping the bloody phone explodes on him, tried to think clearly. So went to my phone network. Asked if they could block the phone, they said they couldn't (I'm currently in West Africa, don't know why the networks here can't). In fact, back when I was at home in the UK, the network provider, usually have an idea of the phone I'm using. So, when they said so, wasn't sure what to do next. Thought blackberry protect, but I remember I never thought I'd need it. Although, it was installed on the phone, I've never once explored its functions. So, I thought the only way I could go about trying to get it back is for the phone to resurface again (I'd try to ping it). So I waited, for about 3 months and during this time, went to report to the police.
    Now, the phone has come online. Knowing that I once used my BlackBerry ID with the phone and when I got my new phone (9810), I used the blackberry ID, it asked if I want to stop emails etc going to the other phone, I said yes. Can't remember again if it did ask. I know I got a message saying it has stopped emails going to the previous phone.
    So now I'm wondering, let's say I didn't log in with my blackberry ID on my new phone, and my old phone is still paired with it, could I have gone online and through blackberry protect, protect and lock, wipe do all sort to it remotely (bearing in mind, I never once played with the blackberry protect on the phone ever since I had it. But it is installed on the phone)?
    Secondly, if I had wiped and locked it and the phone got wiped completely. Could it still be locked and therefore rendered kinda useless. Since my ID would still be paired with the phone?
    Thirdly, if I can't do all the above. Is there a way, RIM keeps all devices formerly paired to with blackberry ID? I'm asking, with the hope that I can still do some damage and maybe get the phone back. I hope my last question was clear enough.

These are really the only options I can think of. Especially since I don't think I have the case of the phone anymore, the reciept too. And don't know the IMEI number. only the PIN I know.

Thanks in advance. All replies appreciated.
    Last edited by New1Mike; 02-19-12 at 04:33 PM. Reason: to make post clearer
    02-19-12 04:16 PM
    Regarding blackberry protect, if you never logged in on the phone, I don't think you can use it as I remember I had to log in first to activate it.

Let's assume you can wipe and lock it, it would be rendered useless for a while until he gets back in after he enters the password wrong so many times. You would have to keep doing it.

I do believe RIM keeps the pairing because when I bought a blackberry on ebay, when I activated it, it was still paired with the previous email/person as I was receiving his emails until I called them. But when I called, RIM just asked for the PIN and just changed it. I'm sure he can just make a call to RIM and they would just change it unless you somehow alert RIM.

But just a FYI, if he really wanted to, he can buy an old 8310 or other blackberry, change the PIN and IMEI number (though illegal) of your 9900 to the 8310. I know you can change it on my model but not sure of the 9900. Again, illegal but you can do it.
    02-19-12 05:08 PM
    If you never loaded BB Protect You would naver had been able to use it

BUT if you ran it once, the first thing it asks is for your BB-ID.
    If you had run BB Protect, I would not have been too to quick to wipe it. Instead I would have locked it & then used the BB website to track it's exact location & given that to the cops

By the looks of it, once BBX phones come out, BB Protect ID's will be forced to be setup B4 the system turns on. This will be way better.....Though I would like to see the phones improved so that IF a remote wipe has been done, the entire phone is wiped EXCEPT by entering a password. Thus making it impossible for the thieves to use the phone!

Now you may ask, but then can't they brute force hack the password as they will have more then x# of attempts? NO. Not if the password was one that was generated by RIM & sent to your email. After they try to hack the random PW multiple times, it times out & requires a new one (which you once again recieve)

This would be an AWSOME security feature, which is not possible with the current phones, but could be with QNX.
    02-19-12 05:13 PM
    Regarding blackberry protect, if you never logged in on the phone, I don't think you can use it as I remember I had to log in first to activate it.

Let's assume you can wipe and lock it, it would be rendered useless for a while until he gets back in after he enters the password wrong so many times. You would have to keep doing it.

I do believe RIM keeps the pairing because when I bought a blackberry on ebay, when I activated it, it was still paired with the previous email/person as I was receiving his emails until I called them. But when I called, RIM just asked for the PIN and just changed it. I'm sure he can just make a call to RIM and they would just change it unless you somehow alert RIM.

But just a FYI, if he really wanted to, he can buy an old 8310 or other blackberry, change the PIN and IMEI number (though illegal) of your 9900 to the 8310. I know you can change it on my model but not sure of the 9900. Again, illegal but you can do it.
    Cheers for the reply.
    Yh, I'm guessing that's what he did. Entered the password a number of times, because it was passworded. I just thought, because I have a blackberry ID (and without running bb protect on the phone, even though it was installed already), that maybe I could have locked it.
    And I would try to call RIM in that case. Although, when it got stolen, I thought calling RIM wouldn't be a useful idea guess I was wrong. Just hope as proof ownership, they could check and realise it was once paired to my blackberry I'd. You think I've got a chance with this?
    If I could really lock it always. I wouldn't mind having to do it all the time. Making the useless from time to time, with a message saying, "its a stolen phone, call this number".
    And about the illegal method, I guess that would be a smooth idea. But would have to buy that old blackberry you spoke about first.
    The phone was a gift. If I can't use it, don't nobody else doing the same (sounds mean, but can't help the fact somebody is using it right now all smiley)...no, there's got to be a way! Funny thing was, I had loads of data on the external memory card too. Just hope the guy didn't remove the memory card immediately. So everything got wiped with the phone memory.

Cheers for your reply again. Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by New1Mike; 02-20-12 at 03:54 AM.
    02-20-12 03:33 AM
    If you never loaded BB Protect You would naver had been able to use it

BUT if you ran it once, the first thing it asks is for your BB-ID.
    If you had run BB Protect, I would not have been too to quick to wipe it. Instead I would have locked it & then used the BB website to track it's exact location & given that to the cops

By the looks of it, once BBX phones come out, BB Protect ID's will be forced to be setup B4 the system turns on. This will be way better.....Though I would like to see the phones improved so that IF a remote wipe has been done, the entire phone is wiped EXCEPT by entering a password. Thus making it impossible for the thieves to use the phone!

Now you may ask, but then can't they brute force hack the password as they will have more then x# of attempts? NO. Not if the password was one that was generated by RIM & sent to your email. After they try to hack the random PW multiple times, it times out & requires a new one (which you once again recieve)

This would be an AWSOME security feature, which is not possible with the current phones, but could be with QNX.
    Cheers for your reply too,
    Exactly, think I had to enter the ID upon phone startup, which should mean BB protect was active then, I think. Without having to separately run BB protect on the phone.
    Now, about tracking the phone. The maps online about this place aint detailed AT ALL and the police officers wouldn't have had a clue how to trace it 2bh.
    About your security idea of the phones. I thought something like that is out already, with BB OS 7. Although, not as security intensive as your idea. But the user being forced to enter their blackberry I-D at phone startup (thereby setting protect up,I think).
    All in all, your idea is good. Hope RIM is reading.
    02-20-12 03:51 AM
    Unfortunately Protect is optional (at the moment anyway) and merely downloading it is not enough. You must also sort of configure it.
    Someone pointed out the best sequence of using it.
    Download,
    Configure,
    Enable.
    When a device is lost/stolen:-
    Lock,
    Warn whoever has it to return with a message on screen (only useful if lost),
    Track on Protect website using its GPS,
    Fetch the feds,
    On Protect website make it ring loudly when you arrive at GPS location,
    Make arrest,
    Recover berry. Hooray!
    You can wipe it at any time as long as you back up everything. Protect can run regular backups in the background if configured well.
    There, its not a magic bullet but it can work.
    02-20-12 07:15 AM
    BB Protect can be set to back-up your 'basics' periodically, Ex. once per week

If you have a BB phone use/download Protect, set it to periodically back-up

Typing "blackberry protect" in any search engine will take you to the login screen
    02-20-12 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD