Hello, I was wondering if someone can help me understand more clearly how security goes on blackberrys...over a week ago, my phone was stolen and i did have a security code on it. so after 10 tries, and if someone types 'blackberry' is the phone completely wiped without me having to make any setting changes? if so how? also, if the thief actually did wipe your phone, couldn't they just start from scratch? or would they still need the security passcode?

i have one more question..i bought a used curve this past weekend and it was clean..i mean no apps, no emails etc...but when i hooked up my service to this phone, the sellers email folders came up, and i had access to it...now i did not go through his emails, just deleted the accounts right away, but now i'm curious about what will happen when i sell this phone eventually...will my email folders come up for the next person who buys this phone? thank you so much for all your help!
    04-11-11 10:13 AM
    sorry, but also, how are you able to password protect your media card as well? thank you
    04-11-11 10:17 AM
    Interesting.

I think it's because those accounts are associated with the phone's PIN, which is unique to each phone. I suppose as soon as you register your device with your network, which might be I think, the same as the old owner's, it automatically brought back whatever accounts where on said PIN number. So his accounts were brought up automatically.

What he should have done was delete his accounts manually. Then Wipe his device.

Any other precautions crackberrians?

As for your lost phone, I am not exactly sure. Maybe the device was wiped, but what about the SD card?? I'd use an app like Blackberry Protect, to try and locate my stolen device, and manually wipe my own device from afar to insure no sensitive info will be used. Though, am not sure of the extent of Blackberry Protect's Wiping authority. Can it Wipe the entire device, SD card included? There are a few other apps that are supposedly good for such cases. Look into them. Tracing lost/stolen phones, wiping phones from afar, turning off a siren to scare the shyt of whoever is holding your device, that kind of thing.
    04-11-11 10:22 AM
  4. T
    sorry, but also, how are you able to password protect your media card as well? thank you
    I'm not sure how to password protect a media card, but I can tell you how to encrypt media files. If you apply these settings, no one will be able to view your encrypted media files except in your unlocked device or in another device provided s/he enters your password. Here's how to encrypt your media files and essentially "password protect" your media card.

1. Make sure your phone is password protected.

2. Then, go to Options>MediaCard. Make sure "Media Card Support" is ON, "Encrypt Media Files" is set to YES, and "Encryption Mode" is set to SECURITY PASSWORD. It's very important that you select SECURITY PASSWORD (and not one of the other settings) if you want to be able to read your media card in a different BlackBerry.

Also, you'll need to make sure Mass Storage Mode is set to OFF, and that you transfer files you want to encrypt from PC to your device using Desktop Manager (versions less than 6). (Files transferred to the device using Mass Storage Mode will not be encrypted; files transferred using Desktop Manager or downloaded over the air will be encrypted.)

A few caveats:

You'll need to remember your password. If you put your media card in another device, the other device will prompt you for your media card's password. If you don't enter it, you won't be able to access your media card or its encrypted files.

If you remove your media card from your device and then change your device password (while your media card is not in your device), you will need to enter your media card's password (your device's former password) to access your media card and encrypted files. In that case, it works just as if you had put the media card in a different device. So, REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD! Though any device will then give you the opportunity to change the media card password to its own device password, it's best to change your device password when your media card is inserted in order to avoid having to remember too many passwords.

In my experience, videos made when media card encryption is set to ON, cannot be viewed EVEN IN THE DEVICE YOU MADE THE VIDEO ON. I believe this is a bug. So, if you go to make a video, make sure you turn "Encrypt Media Files" OFF when making your video. Then, remember to turn it back on when you're done making videos.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Tnis; 04-11-11 at 12:16 PM.
    04-11-11 12:12 PM
    Interesting.

I think it's because those accounts are associated with the phone's PIN, which is unique to each phone. I suppose as soon as you register your device with your network, which might be I think, the same as the old owner's, it automatically brought back whatever accounts where on said PIN number. So his accounts were brought up automatically.

What he should have done was delete his accounts manually. Then Wipe his device.

Any other precautions crackberrians?

As for your lost phone, I am not exactly sure. Maybe the device was wiped, but what about the SD card?? I'd use an app like Blackberry Protect, to try and locate my stolen device, and manually wipe my own device from afar to insure no sensitive info will be used. Though, am not sure of the extent of Blackberry Protect's Wiping authority. Can it Wipe the entire device, SD card included? There are a few other apps that are supposedly good for such cases. Look into them. Tracing lost/stolen phones, wiping phones from afar, turning off a siren to scare the shyt of whoever is holding your device, that kind of thing.
    Deleting the accounts manually will not get rid of the pin association with the emails. You have to call the carrier or rim and have the pin disassociated with the account of the previous owner. Whenever I switch to a new blackberry I always call my carrier and have the tech support disassociate my old pin. Otherwise the new owner will have access to my emails AND my new blackberry wont have access to them.
    04-11-11 04:25 PM
    hey guys thanks for the answers, but i guess i'm just being very paranoid and wondering, besides my media card, is the data on my stolen blackberry safe since i had a password on it? thank you
    04-11-11 10:38 PM
    Q
    hey guys thanks for the answers, but i guess i'm just being very paranoid and wondering, besides my media card, is the data on my stolen blackberry safe since i had a password on it? thank you
    Yes, your data that was in device memory was irretrievably deleted by the security wipe.

04-11-11 11:15 PM
    Check out BlackBerry Protect for your new device... You can remotely back-up, and wipe your info

04-11-11 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD