I lost my phone last week and have since called and left text's with no response at all. I wouldn't expect anyone to answer it unless they were honest. I have the password enabled so I'm not too concerned about them using the phone.

My question is about this program I was reading about called "FindIt".

LINK----->conveniencesoftware.com/findit.html

I am with ATT and I would think that if the thief was using the phone with a different simcard then the gps wouldn't pick it up.

Is this true? What can I do, if anything, to track down my phone if someone is using their own sim card?
    06-13-08 11:01 PM
    Call your carrier, explain it was stolen,have them look up your IMEI, and disable your phone.
    06-13-08 11:03 PM
    I asked them if they could lock my phone if it didn't have the sim card and was told that people sell their unwanted phones all the time and that the carriers cannot make a phone inoperable by it's original owner. That was my first question I asked them when I reported it lost/stolen, as I remember the gentleman at the store writing that number down from the back of my phone when I purchased it. He said it was a specific serial number that was unique to only my phone.

What happens if the person who took my phone uses my phone without using a dataplan? Can I still track down my phone with a program like this?
    Last edited by blackburry; 06-13-08 at 11:16 PM.
    06-13-08 11:07 PM
    I just took my SIM card out, restarted my BB, went to options > status, and it still reports an IMEI so they should still, I think be able to do this. Try again.
    06-13-08 11:17 PM
    Sorry, didn't want to double post. Was editing inbetween your quick/appreciated replies...
    06-13-08 11:18 PM
    Basically, the AT&T csr wasn't really helpful. Find another one.

First, I'd go to the police and file a report, and then inform them that the carrier can GPS locate it if it is on, so that detectives may actually investigate the theft.

FintIt2, would have been good to have on your phone, but since you don't have it, won't help you.

Another thing is you can install a GPS app that just simply reports your phones location in real time to a web site. You can then go to the web site and see where your phone is if you have that app set to run on startup.

With the IMEI, your carrier can disable the phone (if they want), and can even wipe it from what I understand, but only if that number is on your account.

Patrick
    06-13-08 11:30 PM
    So what I hear you saying is that this program is useless unless it was already on my phone when it was lost/stolen.

Can my carrier track any phone calls made from my phone if someone were using a different sim card?

I don't know what the carrier can do to a phone that is being illegally used by someone else who might not even be on the same network. I didn't think the ATT rep could do anything and I was out of luck.

I want to try to track my phone before I end up paying insurance for a replacement.
    06-13-08 11:44 PM
    So what I hear you saying is that this program is useless unless it was already on my phone when it was lost/stolen.
    Yes

Can my carrier track any phone calls made from my phone if someone were using a different sim card?
    No idea

I don't know what the carrier can do to a phone that is being illegally used by someone else who might not even be on the same network. I didn't think the ATT rep could do anything and I was out of luck.
    Again call them and have them disable the phone.
    06-13-08 11:56 PM
    What program can I get that will tell me where my phone is in real time from gps???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-08 12:06 AM
    What program can I get that will tell me where my phone is in real time from gps???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You really should post this question in the 3rd party apps section, so this thread stays focused on the OP's problem.
    06-14-08 12:08 AM
    You really should post this question in the 3rd party apps section, so this thread stays focused on the OP's problem.
    but it would be helpful for the op to know for his/her next bb
    06-14-08 08:10 AM
    but it would be helpful for the op to know for his/her next bb
    Well that's certainly true

Convenience Software: Home of FindIt, find your lost Blackberry even if it's on silent.
    06-14-08 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD