It keep falling during recent trading sessions. looks like bad news has leaked out. At the mean Apple's stock price has passed 500$ milestone with the ipad3 expectation.
    02-14-12 03:03 PM
    Lock it on up!
    02-14-12 03:04 PM
    The higher Apple goes...the more they stand to lose.
    BearSnout, hpjrt, ayekon and 2 others like this.
    02-14-12 03:05 PM
    Similarly, the lower RIM goes, there is nothing to lose
    morales0416 likes this.
    02-14-12 03:08 PM
    RIM is low because people are greedy, and thus the same reason why Apple is up.

They know that people LOVE Apple, but Apple is like most in the US. Apple is popular, but MUCH less popular in other countries. Specifically, I can presume that in countries where the culture revolves around family, you can say that BB is more popular because of the connections between family members. In America, most people couldn't get a flying bat turd about family, so you see them going towards phones other than BB.

Now, Apple did release their pitiful version of BBM, but still...

I have no clue. I'm talking out of my , but India and South America love BB, and they also have very, very close families. Two examples do not prove anything.
    Jeovex likes this.
    02-14-12 03:14 PM
    Sure....Apple stock was about $5.00 in 1984 and $7.00 in 2002.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 02-14-12 at 04:01 PM.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    02-14-12 03:15 PM
    It is scary. People still expect them to move higher though.

The same comments were made everywhere when they initially reached $100 not too long ago. I and my friends were contemplating purchasing some at the time, but we thought it was too much of risk. We'll we were all wrong and still have no guts to invest in theirs, although they have some good products.

However, the only way for them to falter is either 1. they make a major mistake 2. well rounded competitor shows up. #1 can happen any time, but #2 is no where in sight yet. We'll have to look again in few years.
    02-14-12 03:16 PM
    Read what people who stuck with Apple from 1997 - 2003 said about stock price, and their judgement of the work being done

To answer the question of this post, the answer is No. Full stop.

The stock is the stock. The company is the company. They don't have to be closely related for long periods of time. Otherwise RIMM would have tanked years ago, not now.
    02-14-12 03:17 PM
    Sure....Apple stock was about $50.00 in 1984.

Roman Empire was huge many centuries ago? Your point? Wait 30 years and RIM will be back up on its feet again?
    02-14-12 03:17 PM
    Read what people who stuck with Apple from 1997 - 2003 said about stock price, and their judgement of the work being done

To answer the question of this post, the answer is No. Full stop.

The stock is the stock. The company is the company. They don't have to be closely related for long periods of time. Otherwise RIMM would have tanked years ago, not now.
    No comments...
    02-14-12 03:18 PM
    It keep falling during recent trading sessions. looks like bad news has leaked out. At the mean Apple's stock price has passed 500$ milestone with the ipad3 expectation.
    whats the bad news we are referring here?
    02-14-12 03:19 PM
    whats the bad news we are referring here?
    I was also wondering the same. Looks like RIM lost 15% over the last week or so.
    02-14-12 03:20 PM
    They know that people LOVE Apple, but Apple is like most in the US. Apple is popular, but MUCH less popular in other countries. Specifically, I can presume that in countries where the culture revolves around family, you can say that BB is more popular because of the connections between family members.
    People keep repeating this, but no one ever responds to this:

Apple sold 23 million iPhones outside of the US last quarter. RIM shipped 14 million including the US (so only about 10 million outside), and RIM expected that number to be even lower this quarter.

So why do people still think Blackberry is more popular than iPhone outside of the US? I don't understand this at all. That used to be true maybe a year ago, but surely no one believes this now? The gap will be even bigger this next quarter with general availability of the 4S in China.

If you completely omit the United States, the iPhone still outsells Blackberry in the rest of the world. That is a fact from recent results.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-14-12 at 03:27 PM.
    02-14-12 03:23 PM
    By the way, folks, no offense but your "Apple was on the brink of bankruptcy once but is doing great now. Therefore, RIM will do great, too. Just wait" argument is fallacious. Apple may very well be an outlier.

There are hundreds and thousands of companies who are on the brink of bankruptcy and eventually go out of business. Why are we picking an unusual one from the bunch?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-14-12 at 03:31 PM.
    02-14-12 03:24 PM
    stock price does not say it all, or even half of it. I have a ton of investments in penny (or dollar) stocks that are not going away. As long as the company can make more than it spends I can keep getting devices I like with the added benefit that some of my friends have jobs.
    Regardless of where the stock goes, most people here are enthusiasts of the product, hope it has a rebound and gets to be the darling-of-the-moment again and become competitive in the marketplace. Whether that is top 3, 5 or 10 who knows. It's probably pointless to poke holes in peoples balloons just because they congregate in a pro-user forum, but it seems to be entertaining for some..
    All that said, if it all goes bust, not many will hang themselves and will find migrate to something else.
    sleepngbear and kemj like this.
    02-14-12 03:25 PM
    People keep saying this, but no one ever responds to this:

Apple sold 23 million iPhones outside of the US last quarter. RIM shipped 14 million including the US (so only about 10 million outside), and RIM expected that number to be even lower this quarter.

So why do people still think Blackberry is more popular than iPhone outside of the US? I don't understand. That used to be true maybe a year ago, but surely no one believes that now?
    Besides, BB share outside of the US is still shrinking compared to other devices/platforms.
    02-14-12 03:25 PM
    Stocks reflect expectations, that's all.

People want A, but RIM give them B, so the people screw RIM over for not doing what they want. It's very simple.

Apple is doing the work of their stockholders. RIM's stockholders want RIM to sell themselves.
    02-14-12 03:26 PM
    RIM is low because people are greedy, and thus the same reason why Apple is up.

They know that people LOVE Apple, but Apple is like most in the US. Apple is popular, but MUCH less popular in other countries. Specifically, I can presume that in countries where the culture revolves around family, you can say that BB is more popular because of the connections between family members. In America, most people couldn't get a flying bat turd about family, so you see them going towards phones other than BB.

Now, Apple did release their pitiful version of BBM, but still...

I have no clue. I'm talking out of my , but India and South America love BB, and they also have very, very close families. Two examples do not prove anything.
    Where did families come in?

And how are you uniquely positioned to comment about family ties across 3 continents? I think its a little offensive when you classify Americans as uncaring about family.

What makes you think Indians care more about their family than Americans? Pre-conceived notions....
    02-14-12 03:28 PM

People want A, but RIM give them B, so the people screw RIM over for not doing what they want. It's very simple.

Apple is doing the work of their stockholders. RIM's stockholders want RIM to sell themselves.
    Isn't this what "consumer satisfaction" and "competitiveness" are all about?
    02-14-12 03:29 PM

Stockholders want to make money.

Customers want featires which they think they can use. If customers get those they will buy BBs and RIM share will go up. If not it will go down.

What's your point here? Customers should buy something they don't want just so the sales figures look good and the stock rises??
    02-14-12 03:33 PM
    By the way, folks, no offense but your "Apple was on the brink of bankruptcy once but is doing great now. Therefore, RIM will do great, too. Just wait" argument is fallacious. Apple may very well be an outlier.

There are hundreds and thousands of companies who are on the brink of bankruptcy and eventually go out of business. Why are we picking an unusual one from the bunch?
    The argument is that the current stock price represents destiny. The simplest contradiction was chosen by most people. Stocks move a lot more than the underlying businesses.
    02-14-12 03:35 PM
    The argument is that the current stock price represents destiny. The simplest contradiction was chosen by most people. Stocks move a lot more than the underlying businesses.
    What's happened to efficient markets and intrinsic value?
    02-14-12 03:40 PM
    The stock is falling ahead of OS 2.0 release. I thinks its a clear show of no support and expectations of failure. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any new advertising lately aside from those dudes playing music and they happen to have a Blackberry.

RIM cannot survive if they don't change the PR and advertising. Period.

ps. As we speak, the desktop software icon just popped up saying there's a new release!! Yippeee!!
    02-14-12 03:45 PM
    It's a rejected theory, duh?
    02-14-12 03:46 PM
    On that note, markets are not efficient all the time. Just like any human endeavour they are inefficient and illogical. If they were totally efficient, people wouldn't be able to make money from undervalued or overvalued stock. Every stock would be stable at its intrinsic value.
    02-14-12 03:46 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD