I have done some searching, and have not been able to find an answer.

Is there no way to sync BB with google calendar via usb?

I have an 8330, so I have wireless capability, but no data plan, so wanting to sync via USB.

I understand I can sync with outlook through the BB software. I don't mind outlook, but it lacks the portability of a web based program like google.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    12-23-10 03:52 PM
    I have done some searching, and have not been able to find an answer.

Is there no way to sync BB with google calendar via usb?

I have an 8330, so I have wireless capability, but no data plan, so wanting to sync via USB.

I understand I can sync with outlook through the BB software. I don't mind outlook, but it lacks the portability of a web based program like google.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Have you tried Wi-Fi syncing?
    12-23-10 04:05 PM
    I tried setting up the google sync app, but got the message that I must have a data plan to use it.

If there is some other way to sync wireless I would like to try it.

Thanks for the response.
    12-23-10 04:28 PM
    Have you tried Wi-Fi syncing?
    8330 doesn't have WIFI.

And to the OP... you have a BB without a data plan? No offense, but a BB without a data plan is pretty much useless because of the way these devices require service books to actually have certain functions work. For example (and I know your model doesn't have this capability) but if you had a model with WIFI on it, without a standard BB data plan on it, you couldn't get the service book provisioning to even enable the WIFI capability to pass TCP traffic on it. I think your luck with the 8330 is because it's pretty basic BB to begin with, so with that in mind, there's not a lot of capabilities on it that have to be controlled by service book, except things like Blackberry Maps, browser, email, GPS, etc.
    12-23-10 04:29 PM
    My mistake, my BB is an 8320, so it does have wifi.

True enough the BB is overkill for me. I bought it for reasons I still believe to be valid, even if I will never use much of the functionality. Many people still do not feel for a data plan

At any rate, I am still wondering if there is a way to sync via USB.
    12-23-10 05:58 PM
    My mistake, my BB is an 8320, so it does have wifi.

True enough the BB is overkill for me. I bought it for reasons I still believe to be valid, even if I will never use much of the functionality. Many people still do not feel for a data plan

At any rate, I am still wondering if there is a way to sync via USB.
    you are confusing the **** out of me with that---"the bb is overkill for me" vs "I need to sync to Google". I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg as far as what you want to do with it, isn't it?? You are just too cheap to pay to play. sorry, no sympathy here. next.
    12-23-10 06:05 PM
    Umm, OK genius.

Is this typical of Crackberry forums?

Do people prefer to criticize rather than help, or is it just my lucky day?
    12-23-10 06:21 PM
    Umm, OK genius.

Must be your lucky day, since you put it that way. oh, and I stand by my previous comments.
    12-23-10 06:29 PM
    As stated above, for certain features, you will need to have a BB data plan on the device. If you choose not to, you will miss out on most of the features that the device has to offer. It is a fairly simple situation. Pay to play, or use the device as crippled as it is.
    12-23-10 06:32 PM
    OK. I had read that it was possible to sync with Outlook via USB, so I was only hoping I could do something similar with a gmail calendar.

Thanks for the response
    12-23-10 06:43 PM
    Umm, OK genius.

No it's not typical for these forums from most of the users. There are just a few grumpy people that vent on here from time to time. IF there are users that you feel are a little to abrasive you can always add them to your ignore list and not even give the time of day to read their 2 cents.

The only way that i can think of to sync with Google via USB is to sync Microsoft Outlook to your Google account and sync that way. But that would be my only thought.
    12-24-10 07:36 AM
    As stated above, for certain features, you will need to have a BB data plan on the device. If you choose not to, you will miss out on most of the features that the device has to offer. It is a fairly simple situation. Pay to play, or use the device as crippled as it is.
    For some people it's not a crippled device. I've used a few of my Blackberry's as a phone/PDA only and had no problem. And there is not reason the owner of this phone cannot do the same with theirs as they see fit. the phone belongs to THEM, and THEY can use it however THEY see fit. YOU do not own THEIR phone, so please refrain from these stupid comments.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-10 07:38 AM
    Wow, you shouldn't talk to HF that way. Calling someone's comments "stupid" is uncalled for.

It's no problem if the user wants to use the device without a data plan, HOWEVER, that user needs to accept the limitations that come along with that CHOICE.

Simply put (as HF said), for certain features, you will need a BlackBerry Data Plan.

There's no way currently to use any of the Google BlackBerry apps without a data plan. Syncing to Outlook and then Google on a computer is the only current way to accomplish a "Google Sync" without a data plan (as noted above).
    12-24-10 09:23 AM
    Wow, you shouldn't talk to HF that way. Calling someone's comments "stupid" is uncalled for.

It's no problem if the user wants to use the device without a data plan, HOWEVER, that user needs to accept the limitations that come along with that CHOICE.

Simply put (as HF said), for certain features, you will need a BlackBerry Data Plan.

There's no way currently to use any of the Google BlackBerry apps without a data plan. Syncing to Outlook and then Google on a computer is the only current way to accomplish a "Google Sync" without a data plan (as noted above).
    I never called HeavyFluids "stupid" in your words, i said the comment was. That is not a direct person attack. I did not attack them in any way shape fashion or form. There is a difference. and with over 1,900 post i'm sure they are well informed in things of blackberry, and this forum. Like how to treat newer members. But it's socially unacceptable for someone with that many post to bash on newer members. You can inform them that they have limited possibilities on a non-BIS/BES phone, without coming across the way they did.
    12-24-10 09:49 AM
    I never bashed anyone. I simply stated that if you don't use the BlackBerry with a data plan, it is crippled. In the end, it really is NOT up to the user, but rather the provider. Most providers in the US have now mandated that any BlackBerry on their networks MUST have a BlackBerry data plan. There is no way around this.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-24-10 10:14 AM
    OP, you may be able to use Desktop Manager to sync your Google calendar via Outlook. I always wished that DM would sync with Thunderbird, but I doubt that will ever happen.
    12-24-10 02:33 PM
    You cannot sync Google calendar to Outlook with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. You would need use Google Sync to sync Outlook to the Google Calendar.
    12-24-10 03:25 PM
    I really don't see why people don't understand that if you choose to run a BlackBerry without a data plan, there are consequences, such as this one. If you want the device to work as it should, get the data plan.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-24-10 04:16 PM
    It still makes my laugh that so many sound almost offended that someone could own a BB without a data plan. Get off your high-horses. I am perfectly satisfied to use my old 8320 as a pda, I could give a s**t about sending and receiving email, browsing the web etc.

What I require from a phone is a calendar, tasks, and contacts that I can sync with an application on my desktop. It just happens that I ended up with a old BB. So sorry that that offends the elite BB users! Maybe your fancy phones do not have usb connections? Or is that just to old fashioned for you?

Such an awful price to pay to not have a data plan, a useless old phone.

I found a very simple solution. Set up MS Outlook to get my mail from gmail. Import contacts and calendar into Outlook. Sync Outlook via BB desktop. Done.

Some of the others that rant about people being to "cheap" to pay for a data plan could stop to consider that not everyone is in a position to "pay to play". When you have been out of work long enough, $30 a month matters.
    12-26-10 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD