I definitely think this was supposed to be funny and not really a bash on BB users. It felt like I was reading a piece on Cracked or The Onion.
    richardat, esk369 and 00stryder like this.
    10-19-12 06:29 PM
    I thought his final point was interesting:

Be sympathetic.
    Be understanding. Be generous. Be nice. Because someday, you might be on the bottom rung of the social ladder, still clinging to your hopelessly outdated old iPhone.
    10-19-12 07:01 PM
    I don't really care if it's meant as a joke or not. I just don't feel compelled to support a website full of unprofessional writers like theirs (not referring to this article specifically).
    That's fine, it's certainly your right! I don't think this particular article is unprofessional, having said that, it has no....content value. it's just a joke, entertainment...you could definitely argue, as with all jokes, that it's in bad taste, but I wouldn't even go that far....poking fun at people in a tongue-in-cheek way for their phone is open game to me. Just as open as writing a joke piece about....oh.....whatever....people who drive Cavaliers/Hummers/Hog's....or people who read romance novels....or people who watch Survivor.....or people who like...80's music....whatever. It's more Onion than serious tech article.

Y
    Get a frickin life all fan people of all platforms it just not necessary.
    And for the guy who wrote the piece he just exposes himself as a tool.
    I didn't find him to be entertaining he would probably be better suited to be a shock jock on a morning zoo radio show.
    Btw I mean that as the highest compliment richardat I think you know that.
    LOL. No lecture from me, you know I have always argued that it's JUST a phone! I don't like broad generalizations of any users (serious ones anyways)! All I've ever done is point out inconsistencies: there are a lot of people here, who are offended now, who would have LOVED that article if it were a joke bash (or even a serious bash) of iphone users or android users! (you know that's true my man ;-)

I agree, the piece IS intended to be entertainment like a shock jock (like I said...it was completely over-the-top...which is good...it's supposed to be obvious that it's a joke). That's why I said 'no big deal", no sense getting upset over phones in general. Biig warning: if one get's upset over this article, then one is probably taking their phone choice too seriously, and is going to be upset during down times, though thrilled when all is
    roses....all over a phone....

Of course, one IRONY is....jokes like this RELY on people having emotional connections to the product, either positive or negative....either will do! If one truly doesn't care about phones or RIM...one wouldn't be upset about the article...one would just say "meh". If somebody wanted to write a joke roast of say....people who wear blue jackets (pick anything nobody cares about)....the whole thing, would of course, flop! No matter how well it was written, or to what extreme they took it!

It is human nature though...we all get upset sometimes if a writer or a person is joking about a product or company we like. The awful thing is....it means we've fallen for the materialist sales trap corporations rely on! People forget....RIM isn't their friend, Heins isn't their friend, Pepsi isn't their friend, Ford isn't their friend, Chevy and CEO Akerson aren't you're friend....they all just want you to sell you something ;-)
    10-19-12 07:30 PM
    I definitely think this was supposed to be funny and not really a bash on BB users. It felt like I was reading a piece on Cracked or The Onion.
    LOL. I just said "Onion" in a post above! You got it Penguin.
    10-19-12 07:31 PM
    The guy that wrote the article is half being a joker and ragging on BB for fun, and the rest is just lact of tact mixed with bias. He see's BB as the failing platform that is currently IS and is not shy about pointing it out. It's up to RIM to change this with BB10 and prove the world wrong about them being dead and gone, old news. I LOVE my "new" blackberry 9900 that I just bought, and I do indeed believe that the android and iDevice platforms are superior to the current OS7 platform. We are looking to the future for RIM and wanting great things, but they have to prove that they can do it and the reality is that RIM is as close to dead in the market as yesterdays roadkill.

I came over to BB from 6 years of iDevices because I like the image, I like the hardware, and I like the concepts BB is built off of. I'm not however so absorbed in "what might be next spring" that I am going to ignore what IS right now, today. RIM needs to drop it like it's hot and show these people like the author who wrote the piece in the OP that RIM is back and the world better start taking them seriously............... BUT it has not happened yet and as a stock purchaser I don't eat off of blue sky. I wanna see it, and I'm praying hard I do.
    10-19-12 07:53 PM
    They see me flowin' they hatin'
    10-19-12 08:06 PM
    Funny how certain kinds of older technology, such as a 1911 pistol or a 50s-60s era muscle car, are admired in comparison to other technology such as cell phones. From what I'm seeing, many people are ditching smartphones altogether for so-called "feature phones" due to the insane data prices.
    esk369 and BlackStormRising like this.
    10-19-12 08:21 PM
    Funny how certain kinds of older technology, such as a 1911 pistol or a 50s-60s era muscle car, are admired in comparison to other technology such as cell phones. From what I'm seeing, many people are ditching smartphones altogether for so-called "feature phones" due to the insane data prices.
    LOL. Well...haven't seen to many people admiring a 1986 Dodge Omni, a 1994 Civic, a 1992 Beamer, a 1997 Grand Am, or a 2002 Corolla...even though in terms of functionality...these cars have almost everything. So....I think it's the minority of products that end up being admired as they get old...of course if you go back 50 or 100 years like your example, then I think anything in good shape will be admired by at least a few people! I'm sure some collector will like your pristine Blackberry in 100 years....although even then, a gun and a muscle car have far more "appeal" than a phone! Don't think there are too many people going ooh and ahh over this:

still hatin'!-telephone-1900.jpg

In about 15 years, you'll be able to show kids your BB with all the affection of those who have a Zach Morris phone now.....Maybe they'll make a Night at the Roxbury sequel and the character will pull out a BB and everyone will laugh.

PS. I kept my Motorola Microtac and Startac....the microtac can double as a weapon.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-19-12 11:22 PM
    That's fine, it's certainly your right! I don't think this particular article is unprofessional, having said that, it has no....content value.
    Like I mentioned, my "boycott" of Gizmodo isn't because of this article. I just find that the website doesn't add anything of value to me from previous experiences, so I'm not going to give them any more of my time. Let's just leave it at that, as I'm not going to go further off topic posting about a site I supposedly don't care about. :P
    esk369 likes this.
    10-20-12 12:03 AM
    Richard.
    Human nature indeed fascinating unpredictable humans that we are.
    And yes corporations are not our friends and don't have the collective well being of us in mind they want our money ( the nerve ) and a lot of people don't get that use the technology use the brand don't let it use you that's how I feel about the subject.
    As I said I don't get the fact that if rim/BlackBerry are so irrelevant why keep writing about even for satirical purposes for example there was a skit from Saturday night live poking fun at the iPhone it was posted on the boards and the only people insulted were people who own the device everyone else loved it yours truly included I could have been outraged by the portrayal of Chinese people the over worked underpaid people who slave away at these factories so we can have our shiny new devices.
    I wasn't outraged by it I found it funny it doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic to the plight of workers in china or anywhere its just that I save my outrage for the proper venue.
    So I say let write till their fingers bleed as I said before in the end they will be one of two things right or wrong in relation to rim bb only time will tell and for the record I hope its the latter and then the people that find it necessary will be able to turn the tables on their tormentors.
    Btw I know a few iPhone users who found the snl skit was hysterical not offensive comfortable enough in their own skins that I like just as I like the bb user who has the same outlook not to let their device define who they are as a person.
    Human nature indeed.:-)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-20-12 09:12 AM
    Hey, esk369, speakin of love. GO BIG BLUE! (saw the sig!)
    esk369 likes this.
    10-20-12 12:29 PM
    All I've ever done is point out inconsistencies:
    Wanna see some inconsistencies? Check out this beauty of a thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...-apple-750408/
    10-20-12 12:35 PM
    Hey, esk369, speakin of love. GO BIG BLUE! (saw the sig!)
    Yah, GO BIG BLUE!!! I live like... 10 minutes from MetLife Stadium.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-20-12 12:37 PM
38 12