Well now has come the time to make a decision. The Tour that I currently have developed a bad speaker(First time I have had an isuue with a BB) and now I can only use it with a bluetooth headset. So I am looking at options. Currently with CSpire and I like the comapny but the options on BB is limited to about 2 options (Curve 9350 or Bold Touch 9930) or leave BB outright and go with a IPhone 4S or a Moto X2.
    I have had a BB for around 6 years now and have always enjoyed the easy of use and although the rumors of the company don't bother me I have heard from several associates that a lot of cellular providers ar moving away from BB and going strickly android and IPhone.
    So I am seeking advice from others much more knowledge than me for advice and guidance. Thanks in advance
    07-08-12 02:54 PM
    Well now has come the time to make a decision. The Tour that I currently have developed a bad speaker(First time I have had an isuue with a BB) and now I can only use it with a bluetooth headset. So I am looking at options. Currently with CSpire and I like the comapny but the options on BB is limited to about 2 options (Curve 9350 or Bold Touch 9930) or leave BB outright and go with a IPhone 4S or a Moto X2.
    I have had a BB for around 6 years now and have always enjoyed the easy of use and although the rumors of the company don't bother me I have heard from several associates that a lot of cellular providers ar moving away from BB and going strickly android and IPhone.
    So I am seeking advice from others much more knowledge than me for advice and giudence. Thanks in advance
    Have your particular needs in a device changed at all? If not, definitely go with the 9930. If the BBOS has gotten a little stale for you and you'd like to see what all is out there, try the other platforms. Have you done much in the way of research regarding how the iPhone 4S and Moto X2 function, their capabilities, potential dealbreakers, etc?
    07-08-12 02:57 PM
    Have your particular needs in a device changed at all? If not, definitely go with the 9930. If the BBOS has gotten a little stale for you and you'd like to see what all is out there, try the other platforms. Have you done much in the way of research regarding how the iPhone 4S and Moto X2 function, their capabilities, potential dealbreakers, etc?

I guess that I am a little old fashioned... Needs have not changed mainly only emails text message and phone calls. Like the intergration with Outlook that I use on all my laptops for scheduling etc. Don't really download video,look at youtube etc. Only complant is that if I do look something up on the internet I usually get frustrated and quit because the browser is to frustrating to mess with.(Click on something and nothing happens, can't see the whole site even when you scroll etc). By the way my Tour is 9630 with v5.0.0624. Which is all the carrier will allow on this model.
    I have played with the others on occasion and all seemed to be geared towards lots of Bells and Wistles that I don't think that I would ever use. But also donlt know what would happen if my cellular carrier decides to quit carring BB. Thanks
    07-08-12 03:43 PM
    Are you going through BES? If so, I would stay BB. You will miss the integration with contacts, calendar, etc as well as the email management.

If your email provider is not BES but supports Activesync (Exchange), then you might try the iPhone in my opinion. I think you might find Android a lot of work to get setup if you don't enjoy tweaking.

Ultimately if BB pleases you today except for the browser, you will probably be thrilled by the 9930. The browser is very good and the screen and keyboard are great.

I don't think your carrier would dump you. If they are selling BB's they will support them for years to come.
    07-08-12 03:51 PM
    I guess that I am a little old fashioned... Needs have not changed mainly only emails text message and phone calls. Like the intergration with Outlook that I use on all my laptops for scheduling etc. Don't really download video,look at youtube etc. Only complant is that if I do look something up on the internet I usually get frustrated and quit because the browser is to frustrating to mess with.(Click on something and nothing happens, can't see the whole site even when you scroll etc). By the way my Tour is 9630 with v5.0.0624. Which is all the carrier will allow on this model.
    I have played with the others on occasion and all seemed to be geared towards lots of Bells and Wistles that I don't think that I would ever use. But also donlt know what would happen if my cellular carrier decides to quit carring BB. Thanks
    If your cellular carrier decides to quit carrying BB, that shouldn't impact you at all since you'd still be on contract, right? They won't be able to just shut your device down. I think a 9930 would suit you just fine.
    07-08-12 03:54 PM
    BB O/S 7.1 which is what is on the BB 9900 once you upgrade it from the original O/S 7.0 has a very useable internet browser. I don't know if it is "as" fast as iPhone or Android but it is pretty close. BB still wins as a communication tool, but iPhone and Android are clearly better toys.

If you like what you have and enjoy the integration you currently have then you should stick to BB and re-evaluate in a year when BB 10 comes. One of the reasons you may look to BB 10 is if you want better contact inetegration with Twitter/Facebook/etc.

Do you use BBM or have friends on BBM?

Do you have or plan to have a Playbook?
    07-08-12 04:05 PM
    Just grab a 9930.
    07-08-12 04:19 PM
    You won't find that browsing frustration with a 9930. BB7 is eons ahead of BB5 in many areas, probably most notably of those being the browser. If you haven't messed with a 99** yet, I think you'll be quite pleasantly surprised.
    spike12 likes this.
    07-08-12 04:26 PM
    So I am seeking advice from others much more knowledge than me for advice and giudence. Thanks in advance
    Well they are not trying to get rid of BB all together, just not pushing them. The real question is: Do the current BlackBerry models (in this case just the Curve and Bold) do everything you want it to do? Do you really need a full touchscreen, or a front facing camera? I personally never use the front camera on my Droid Razr, which was a big reason (the other was NFL Mobile which claimed I could watch every game for free with a 4G phone, but I really can't just whatever game they decide to play) I decided to take that over the Torch 9850. I would be happier with the 9850. Another question is: are there enough apps in the App World?, which there is a much bigger selection for the 9930 and BB7 devices in general coming from a former Tour owner myself because I checked online.
    07-08-12 05:18 PM
    My fiancee has the 9930. It's a great phone. I hope my carrier gets that phone someday. The browsing experience is better, the keyboard is nice and the touchscreen is very responsive. It's a great phone in my opinion.

�~*Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile*~�
    07-08-12 05:25 PM
    The 9930 does everything I need and more. The combination of track pad and touch screen is powerful and very useful. I don't miss the huge screen my droid had and never have had a reason to use a front facing camera so far.
    07-08-12 07:00 PM
    If you can get a 9930, I would do that. No point in going with the base phone imo as the Bold is a much better piece. Build, keyboard, screen size, processor, etc. All around better product.

IF you want to try the others then no better time imo as you're not really missing much from BlackBerry.
    07-08-12 07:02 PM
    Thanks to all for the guidance so far. I have been told on many occasions that I don't use my current blackberry to its full potential now.
    07-08-12 07:06 PM
    Quick question... If your BB phone is doing what you want.... Why are looking elsewhere?
    07-08-12 08:00 PM
    Hey dbpowell - are you whodathunkit? The reason I ask is I have a tour and am thinking about changing to another device and am struggling with the same decision. I use my device exactly as you do and would love the 9930 but buying an older device (Sprint guy tells me it has been out a year) may not be the wisest choice. The reason many are dumping BB is the lack of choices and what many say is no future for RIM. I've tried the droid and iphone and I can't stand typing on a touchscreen and really long for a physical keyboard. I'd LOVE to order a BB10 physical keyboard device but no such animal even in the works. I suppose one course of action is to get the 9930, enjoy the physical keyboard experience (I have been told even better than the Tour) and see what happens at RIM in a year. You could always switch over to a droid or iPhone then if nothing becomes reality. On the other hand, many think BB10 will never come out since it has been delayed so many times and better to go with a droid or iPhone now to get used to it and take advantage of the apps that BB doesn't have. I can argue both sides but in the end I am not sure what I am going to do. What do you think?
    Last edited by whodathunkit; 07-08-12 at 08:39 PM.
    07-08-12 08:36 PM
    There's nothing wrong with trying other platforms.
    Does your carrier have a period of time where you can return it if you don't like it? Like with some companies you have a certain amount of days to return the phone if you don't like it.

If so, try one of the other platforms. I'd you don't like it, return it & get the Bold 9930.
    It's a really great device! Currently missing mine haha.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    07-08-12 08:49 PM
    I'm not familiar with CSpire, but since they're a CDMA carrier, I wonder if either a used/reconditioned Blackberry could be flashed to their system. If this is the case, then you can separate your needing to replace a phone with choosing how to exercise your contract renewal. If you really liked the Tour, then maybe you'd want to try a Bold 9650 that you can pick up pretty cheaply right now off contract. And then later when a heap of new phones are dropped on us, you can take your time to decide.
    07-08-12 09:11 PM
    Quick question... If your BB phone is doing what you want.... Why are looking elsewhere?
    The answer is yes....the Tour is the third model that I have had and I have throughly enjoyed all 3. Just concerned about all the press
    07-08-12 09:37 PM
    Hey dbpowell - are you whodathunkit? The reason I ask is I have a tour and am thinking about changing to another device and am struggling with the same decision. I use my device exactly as you do and would love the 9930 but buying an older device (Sprint guy tells me it has been out a year) may not be the wisest choice. The reason many are dumping BB is the lack of choices and what many say is no future for RIM. I've tried the droid and iphone and I can't stand typing on a touchscreen and really long for a physical keyboard. I'd LOVE to order a BB10 physical keyboard device but no such animal even in the works. I suppose one course of action is to get the 9930, enjoy the physical keyboard experience (I have been told even better than the Tour) and see what happens at RIM in a year. You could always switch over to a droid or iPhone then if nothing becomes reality. On the other hand, many think BB10 will never come out since it has been delayed so many times and better to go with a droid or iPhone now to get used to it and take advantage of the apps that BB doesn't have. I can argue both sides but in the end I am not sure what I am going to do. What do you think?
    The 2 reason why I am looking to upgrade from the Tour is because the speaker is shot and it is running OS5 and I heard that the OS7 are great improvement from what I have now. I have read all the news on RIM and anyone associated in any way with ther products would be a little concerned.As far as other OS platforms I have played with them a little and not confortable with them at all. I have short fat finger syndrome haha and like the physical keyboard instead of the virtual on the other platforms(android and Iphone). As far as OS10 I have never been one to have the lastest and greatest when it first comes out so wether it does or does not is not a deal breaker for me.
    07-08-12 09:44 PM
    Antheauxny- yes they have a trial period it is based on usage and not on days so........

Louzer- unfortunatly it can only be phones from Cspire something dealing with preloaded carrier software. Don't know the exact particulars but thats what I was told.
    07-08-12 09:48 PM
    Just try out Android or iOS and you can always get another BB if you don't like it. Nobody can make decisions for you but yourself. Good luck with your choice.
    07-08-12 10:35 PM
    I will keep it simple, get the 9930! Has everything you need and it. Plus the touch screen is a bonus eh
    07-08-12 10:35 PM
    So I am seeking advice from others much more knowledge than me for advice and guidance. Thanks in advance
    Could you give us more info on exactly which providers are moving away from blackberry? If you differentiate fact from hearsay it may assist in your decision, because I have not heard this.
    Confirmation of that fact would be key. I don't believe it is true. See if you can research it and get more specifics. There are a lot of rumors flying around.

I personally recommend sticking around and giving the Torch 9810 a run - just got one and couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-09-12 at 12:21 AM.
    07-09-12 12:02 AM
    Antheauxny- yes they have a trial period it is based on usage and not on days so........

Louzer- unfortunatly it can only be phones from Cspire something dealing with preloaded carrier software. Don't know the exact particulars but thats what I was told.
    Can't you port out to a GSM carrier ? Buy an unlocked phone after that and try the variety available.
    07-09-12 02:37 AM
    I would suggest picking up a 9900/9930 if you can. It's a solid phone, in my opinion, and it sounds like the iphone or a droid (moreso) might be a little more than you need.

I've used the other platforms, but always come back to blackberry because it has everything I need, and is a simple and intuitive (mostly) device. As far as apps go, other than a FEW useful apps that haven't made their way over to blackberry yet, I have found everything I need.

At the end of the day, every device is great and not so great at certain things. Whichever is the greatest at the things you need is the right one to choose. Good luck with your decision!
    07-09-12 03:10 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD