I'm aware there are several threads already about Blackberry vs Android stuff, but I felt that some of my questions were specific enough to start a post. Feel free to simply direct me to any posts I may have missed.

Anyway, I am an owner of a Droid Eris. The reason I got it? I wanted an Incredible, but couldn't afford it. Now, here's what I love about my phone: pretty quick, decent touch screen, TONS of free apps, I can tether my phone to my computer, integration with Gmail and other email apps, dropbox app, ability to view flash videos, youtube, etc.

Long-story short, I have an upgrade that will be coming by later this year and after visiting my Verizon store I've noticed that many of the Android phones are pretty much disappointing. The Droid 2 is ok, it does have a QWERTY keyboard, which my phone doesn't, but it's slightly bulky. I realize Verizon's Blackberry selection is...lacking, but the pure size of the phone was a plus. Blackberry has been around for a very long time, so I would hope it doesn't have too many issues with compatibility.

I currently work on computers and play around with the Android OS in my spare time. There are really only a few small problems but I always want to know my options. The only Blackberry I've ever seen that made me seriously consider switching providers is the Torch. Unfortunately, money said no and my Eris was young enough I didn't care. Today, I read this article on a blog indicating that Verizon maybe coming out with a Torch-like Blackberry.

So here's the deal, the closest thing I've ever had to a blackberry was a Motorola Q, which I had a bad time with. My biggest points are I need something that I can tether at least 3G web from (via usb is fine), will work fairly quickly, have decent web browsing ability, sync up with my computers (not necessarily mac either, but that is a plus), have a decent selection of free apps, have manageable battery life, and have a QWERTY keyboard.

I have no idea if that one blog article is even entirely true, but I've always heard great things about Blackberry. I've never had a hands-on experience with the newest OS, so I'm open to suggestions. Do you think that a Blackberry could do all this for me?
    02-27-11 08:51 PM
    If it's e-mail and such, it could. You would have to get to know the device and use it for quite a while. Verizon is CDMA, in which is not even 3G, but comparable to EDGE. There are other carriers which have 3G that allows both voice and data at the same time. Claims for 4G are nonsense, they're really 3G or 3.1, 3.2/3.3/3.4/3.5G in terms of speed and reliability. CDMA can go through walls good, but there's allot of rumors about it saying yes and no.

You should be able to make your own decision on what a blackberry could do for you. Give it a trial and see.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 09:42 PM
    i dont see how you think the android selection is disappointing when you settled for a 2 year old android device that is pretty behind the new android line up. Droid 2, droid x and Incredible are all great android phones

i think as far a BBs go there is the bold and the storm and maybe style but i am not sure. If you want a BB you should wait another 6 months and there might be some better options as the newer BBs will hopefully be out then. The storm 2 is not worth purchasing on contract right now for sure.
    02-27-11 09:47 PM
    i dont see how you think the android selection is disappointing when you settled for a 2 year old android device that is pretty behind the new android line up. Droid 2, droid x and Incredible are all great android phones

i think as far a BBs go there is the bold and the storm and maybe style but i am not sure. If you want a BB you should wait another 6 months and there might be some better options as the newer BBs will hopefully be out then. The storm 2 is not worth purchasing on contract right now for sure.
    My Eris wasn't a dated device when I got it for one. Two, I understand that some are supposed to be faster and whatnot, but for the most part, I can do everything I need the same way I could do it on one of the newer androids. I'm not saying android is a bad OS or that any android phones aren't good, I'm just wondering if I might get everything I need in a Blackberry instead since they seem pretty reliable.

Either way, I planned on waiting for awhile either way. I'm interested in something like the Torch and I've read that something like the Torch could possibly be coming to Verizon in March of this year, but that seems a little stupid if the Torch 2 comes out a couple months later with AT&T...
    02-27-11 10:07 PM
    Test drive a BB. That is the only real way you will be able to figure this out.
    02-27-11 10:28 PM
    Yea, don't get a Blackberry now. The new devices will be better, but they will still be running OS 6.x.

The Specs are only half the issue with Blackberries. The Software is also a big issue. Not designed for touchscreens, terrible soft keyboard, doesn't really perform that well, cumbersome menus which are liberally used - making the situation much worse. Even half of the new devices will be coming out with VGA screen resolutions... In the middle/end of 2011...

With WhatsApp adding GroupChat, BBM isn't that much of an Advantage.

Email is overall better on Android. Blackberries do not support Exchange ActiveSync, and Android has much better HTML Email Support.

Browsing and Multimedia are better on Android. You can do 720p Video recording on Android, not Blackberry. Blackberry App World is pretty bad even compared to Windows Phone 7 Marketplace, TBQH, which will pass it up in app count in short order.

Android can tether wirelessly, easily.

I mean... There are advantages to Blackberries, but they just don't measure up to anything factorable these days... I think the spec boost on the up and coming blackberries is good, but I think the OS itself is the real issue for most consumers who choose other platforms. It's just like with the HD2. It had Nexus One-level hardware, but Windows Mobile was terrible software...

Even if you wait for the new devices, we can be pretty sure none of them will be updated to the QNX BBOS when it is released...

/shrug/ test them out and see what you think. That's what I personally did (ordered a Curve 3G, then a Bold 9780). I just couldn't see any point in keeping them. Firstly, the devices sell for ridiculous prices give the hardware and, IMO, shoddy software running on it. Secondly, the 9780, which I probably would have ended up keeping, has huge QC issues with defective keyboards and trackpads - among other things... So I sent it back and got an HD7. I'm glad I did, and I saved over $100 USD in the process
    02-28-11 02:24 AM
    I just picked up a Torch a few days ago, and after not having a Blackberry for quite a few years, it feels nice to be back. I don't think you can get a Torch unless it's unlocked (since it seems you are on VZW), but I can speak for Blackberry in general in saying that the Email on it is great (and what it's known for), the tethering on mine at least is rated to operate very well, the battery life lasts at least a day and a half for me (not running a bunch of apps, no tethering, and limited internet browsing), and it syncs up great to PC or my Mac. BB App market might not be as large as others, but has I think 16,000, if that's enough for you. Web browsing is decent on 3G, and great on Wi-Fi with a good network connection (Torch is Wireless-b/g/n capable).

Ultimately though, you should test one out for as long as you can and make a decision. That's what I did...spent about 2.5 hours in the store playing around with the BB and HTC Inspire running Android, and went with the BB, and it is serving me very well so far.
    Last edited by ModernMacguyver; 02-28-11 at 05:05 AM. Reason: misspelling
    02-28-11 05:04 AM
    I just picked up a Torch a few days ago, and after not having a Blackberry for quite a few years, it feels nice to be back. I don't think you can get a Torch unless it's unlocked (since it seems you are on VZW), but I can speak for Blackberry in general in saying that the Email on it is great (and what it's known for), the tethering on mine at least is rated to operate very well, the battery life lasts at least a day and a half for me (not running a bunch of apps, no tethering, and limited internet browsing), and it syncs up great to PC or my Mac. BB App market might not be as large as others, but has I think 16,000, if that's enough for you. Web browsing is decent on 3G, and great on Wi-Fi with a good network connection (Torch is Wireless-b/g/n capable).

Ultimately though, you should test one out for as long as you can and make a decision. That's what I did...spent about 2.5 hours in the store playing around with the BB and HTC Inspire running Android, and went with the BB, and it is serving me very well so far.
    Thanks. I'll admit it feels weird going into an ATT store which is really the only reason I haven't played with one. I wish Android would consider a similar design to the torch. The major thing with Android is the fact that the apps don't close in the background when you exit them and you have to use an appkiller to save battery life.

If the merge ever comes out I may try that, blackberry just seems user friendly. My dad doesn't like blackberry, he had a couple several years ago.

02-28-11 06:44 AM
    Thanks. I'll admit it feels weird going into an ATT store which is really the only reason I haven't played with one. I wish Android would consider a similar design to the torch. The major thing with Android is the fact that the apps don't close in the background when you exit them and you have to use an appkiller to save battery life.

If the merge ever comes out I may try that, blackberry just seems user friendly. My dad doesn't like blackberry, he had a couple several years ago.

no that is not correct. task killers should NOT be used. they actually can harm your battery life. the apps you think are running are actually just cached and probably not using any CPU cycles at all. You are wasting you battery life by shutting down apps that will start right back up and go back to cached status.
    02-28-11 06:55 AM
    no that is not correct. task killers should NOT be used. they actually can harm your battery life. the apps you think are running are actually just cached and probably not using any CPU cycles at all. You are wasting you battery life by shutting down apps that will start right back up and go back to cached status.
    Ah...it seems I was misinformed by the wonderful knowledge utopia that is Best Buy (aka my last place of employment). I learn something new every day.
    02-28-11 10:17 AM
    Look- Blackberries do everything android phones do. You don't really need all of the awesome specs. They are more reliable and more secure. The battery life is better.

Wait 6 months for the new BlackBerry touch lineups. The torch 2 is rumored to be on VZW and the new bolds and curves are coming out. Both touch and both look fantastic. Also there is the monaco... all touch if you are into that sort of thing.
    02-28-11 10:38 AM
    best buy and VZW both keep pushing task killers even though with froyo and above especially they are not needed.
    02-28-11 10:44 AM
    Look- Blackberries do everything android phones do. You don't really need all of the awesome specs. They are more reliable and more secure. The battery life is better.

Wait 6 months for the new BlackBerry touch lineups. The torch 2 is rumored to be on VZW and the new bolds and curves are coming out. Both touch and both look fantastic. Also there is the monaco... all touch if you are into that sort of thing.
    no they can not. sorry but you are uneducated on them if you think that
    02-28-11 10:47 AM
    no they can not. sorry but you are uneducated on them if you think that
    Makes calls, sends emails, SMS/MMS, web surfing (its opinion on which is better, mine works fine,) apps(though not as many, I concede on this point.)

I guess I'm not sure what else Android phones do....
    02-28-11 10:52 AM
    If you're going to get a Blackberry you should wait a few more months for the new models to come out since they will be better hardware-wise. You can get a cheap Bold off craigslist and test out the BB waters that way. Now since I have the Droid Pro I would recommend it due to the keyboard and candybar layout. The stock battery on the Pro is terrible(depends on usage, but still sucks) and with the extended battery it will last all day no problem. Downside is that there isn't much developer interest as far as rooting, ROMS, kernals, etc.
    02-28-11 11:20 AM
    Look- Blackberries do everything android phones do.
    You might want to do more research before you start spreading misinformation. The guy was already misinformed about task killers, now you are claiming BB OS in its current state can do everything Android can do. You are completely wrong. Every BB out doesn't even have some of the hardware features most Android devices come with today. Let's not even mention that not one single GSM BB has a GPU. That right there limits the capabilities.
    02-28-11 11:53 AM
    Makes calls, sends emails, SMS/MMS, web surfing (its opinion on which is better, mine works fine,) apps(though not as many, I concede on this point.)

I guess I'm not sure what else Android phones do....
    Record video in HD. HDMI out capabilities. Real desktop like HTML email. Flash support. Widget support. Way more apps. Some have front facing cameras. Endless customization. The list goes on.

Also, I understand in your opinion on BB web browsing and you think it is "fine", but anyone who has used both an BB and Android device (or a simple look at CrackBerry Kevins video comparison between the Torch, Galaxy S and iPhone 4) can easily tell that BB browsing is not up to par with other platforms. That is also talking about an OS 6 device, OS 5 browsing is about 40x worse. QNX will but BBs on par in terms of features, polish and capabilities with other platforms. For all we know right now, it may even make BBs better.
    02-28-11 11:59 AM
    ill add a few

free google maps turn by turn directions
    overclock/underclocking
    opengl gaming
    no truncation of email
    wireless hotspot
    support for activesync with folders and calender sync

and i do agree that QNX will bring a completely new life to blackberries. It can not get here soon enough.
    02-28-11 12:06 PM
    Record video in HD. HDMI out capabilities. Real desktop like HTML email. Flash support. Widget support. Way more apps. Some have front facing cameras. Endless customization. The list goes on.

Also, I understand in your opinion on BB web browsing and you think it is "fine", but anyone who has used both an BB and Android device (or a simple look at CrackBerry Kevins video comparison between the Torch, Galaxy S and iPhone 4) can easily tell that BB browsing is not up to par with other platforms. That is also talking about an OS 6 device, OS 5 browsing is about 40x worse. QNX will but BBs on par in terms of features, polish and capabilities with other platforms. For all we know right now, it may even make BBs better.
    Totally, recording in HD is a completely essential part of a smartphone. So is front facing cameras.

The point here is, the things that people use the most are available on BBs and Android phones alike. Everything else is a gimmick. The majority of people will never use the other stuff. At least not at this point, its to new. They are still refining it.
    02-28-11 12:50 PM
    I'd stay with BB if you want to your use phone mainly for efficient processing (?) of emails, messages, calls, etc. Go with an Android if you want a toy that also makes phone calls.
    02-28-11 01:36 PM
    Totally, recording in HD is a completely essential part of a smartphone. So is front facing cameras.

The point here is, the things that people use the most are available on BBs and Android phones alike. Everything else is a gimmick. The majority of people will never use the other stuff. At least not at this point, its to new. They are still refining it.
    A gimmick to you. Tons of people use their cameras and video camera that come with their smartphone. It's a gimmick that all other platforms come with better quality video recording than a BB? It's a gimmick that many smartphones being released now are coming out with front facing cameras? I use my FFC all the time now that I have one. I know a lot of people who have iPhones or have Facetime on their computer. Video chat is pretty refined. Some people thought apps were a gimmick at first, look how big of a role they play on smartphones now.

When BBs get it, will it still be a gimmick or will it be ok because it has RIM branding on it? Dumbphones can get email, browse the web, multitask, have GPS, record/take pictures and a lot of what a smartphone can do. According to your point, that would make smartphones a gimmick.
    02-28-11 02:00 PM
    I'd stay with BB if you want to your use phone mainly for efficient processing (?) of emails, messages, calls, etc. Go with an Android if you want a toy that also makes phone calls.
    Yes, because Android devices can not be used as tool at all. Only if you carry a BB you are considered a professional because that is the only smartphone that can be used as a tool.
    02-28-11 02:02 PM
    A gimmick to you. Tons of people use their cameras and video camera that come with their smartphone. It's a gimmick that all other platforms come with better quality video recording than a BB? It's a gimmick that many smartphones being released now are coming out with front facing cameras? I use my FFC all the time now that I have one. I know a lot of people who have iPhones or have Facetime on their computer. Video chat is pretty refined. Some people thought apps were a gimmick at first, look how big of a role they play on smartphones now.

When BBs get it, will it still be a gimmick or will it be ok because it has RIM branding on it? Dumbphones can get email, browse the web, multitask, have GPS, record/take pictures and a lot of what a smartphone can do. According to your point, that would make smartphones a gimmick.

I just don't see how this makes a BlackBerry any less of a competent phone. Again, I concede on the apps and the specs (processors etc.) I too think that BlackBerry really did miss the mark on the current phones because they are too underpowered. However, I think its a bit of an overstatement to say that BlackBerries are inferior.

It does what android does: Makes calls, text messages, social networking. It goes on the web.

As far as facetime and front facing cameras, most people I know don't ever use it. So while tech geeks may, the greater masses do NOT. Therefor when considering a phone, I don't think this is really an important feature.
    02-28-11 04:00 PM
    I just don't see how this makes a BlackBerry any less of a competent phone. Again, I concede on the apps and the specs (processors etc.) I too think that BlackBerry really did miss the mark on the current phones because they are too underpowered. However, I think its a bit of an overstatement to say that BlackBerries are inferior.

It does what android does: Makes calls, text messages, social networking. It goes on the web.

As far as facetime and front facing cameras, most people I know don't ever use it. So while tech geeks may, the greater masses do NOT. Therefor when considering a phone, I don't think this is really an important feature.
    So now your a tech geek for using FaceTime? That's interesting. Who are you to speak for the greater masses? Everyone I know who has a FFC on their device uses video chat. Every iPhone user I know uses FT. Are you just going to asume that they are tech geeks? Have you ever even used an iPhone? It is anything BUT a tech geek device. The iPhone is made for everyone.

I never said these were important features, I just said they were features that BBs do not have. It still all goes back to the point that BBs do less. These things may not be important to you, but that does not take away the fact that other platforms (for now) have more capabilities. I do not care what the masses do, that has nothing to do with this.
    02-28-11 05:13 PM
    Fine. We get it. You prefer Android over BlackBerry. However, for what the OP says he needs his new phone to do, both an Android device or a BB device should have the capability. It is more a matter of preference. I'd recommend the OP go to a store to check out the various phones. If he can wait a couple-few months, that might be better still, to see if anything new gets announced.
    02-28-11 06:34 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD