About a week ago, there was a very detailed post from a one-post account that described a conversation with a TCL executive who said that BlackBerry tried to cancel the DTEK60 but the process was too far along. The post was later deleted. There was a ton of detail in the post - more than anyone would bother to fabricate.

My guess is that JC intended to cancel both the DTEK60 and Mercury after the announcement but found that it would be better, financially, to launch them.
    11-11-16 01:47 PM
    My guess is that JC intended to cancel both the DTEK60 and Mercury after the announcement but found that it would be better, financially, to launch them.
    I've always thought the D60 was much further along than the Mercury... and I always thought the D60 would come because the production costs were already spent. So, I agree that there is some financial sense in trying to recoup the D60's production costs by releasing it.

I can't see any financial sense in putting the Mercury into production. Chen, at the ER, said the prototype was on his desk awaiting his production go-ahead. So presumably that money hasn't been spent yet. I can't see how those avoidable costs can be recouped by the number of PKB devices that will be sold. So, anyone sensible would avoid them! But, who knows anymore... <shrugs>

If this were a Bollywood movie, there'd be an inexplicable burst of singing and dancing right about now to break the tension of the plot .

Start the music.... Cue John Chen ...
    11-11-16 02:10 PM

(couldn't find any "family friendly" dancing girls) So, use your imagination
    If you seriously want to know more about JC, or ANYTHING for that matter, there are only two places you can trust.
    Ask Oprah or read it in the National Enquirer.

Everyone seems to agree that something here 'doesn't make sense.'
    Consider, for a moment, that nothing in your world really makes any sense.
    Then you'll realize that everything in this thread makes perfect sense!
    Flatman and JeepBB like this.
    11-11-16 04:00 PM
    Jeep and app_D just made me snort Coca-Cola through my nose.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-16 04:05 PM
    About a week ago, there was a very detailed post from a one-post account that described a conversation with a TCL executive who said that BlackBerry tried to cancel the DTEK60 but the process was too far along. The post was later deleted. There was a ton of detail in the post - more than anyone would bother to fabricate.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rumor-1091051/

I don't delete. It was a little far fetched but not so sure now...
    11-11-16 04:15 PM
    The landlord that rents the warehouse space that is storing BlackBerry's unsold inventory is the only one making money on their handsets.
    I'm sure that there will be PR or comments by Thurber to "clarify" Chen's remarks that we "misunderstand".
    11-11-16 04:43 PM
    http://www.picturesanimations.com/b/bananas/9.gifhttp://www.picturesanimations.com/b/bananas/9.gifhttp://www.picturesanimations.com/b/bananas/9.gif

If you seriously want to know more about JC, or ANYTHING for that matter, there are only two places you can trust.

Hey, what are you doing with our Aus Bananas in Pyjamas? B1 and B2, (their names), are two of our national icons
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    11-11-16 05:05 PM
    Honestly I thought he was doing this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty...p_your_balance

But now I think its more like this...

Attachment 411896
    I've got secret footage from a BlackBerry executive meeting:

11-11-16 05:13 PM
    Well that sums it up. I am laughing, I am a "expert" at laughing. I won't however be laughing when Mr Chen is laughing. Because I am an "expert" at laughing.
    11-11-16 07:44 PM
    I'm curious about this from a shareholder point of view.

The earnings call is somewhere that he has to be honest and clear, otherwise there can be legal ramifications if he's misleading the shareholders. He said then that they would have hardware off the books by the fiscal year end.

Since then they've introduced the DTEK60 and now he's committing to a new PKB phone. If they both flop and end up costing the company another few hundred million dollars, how does he square that to the shareholders?

We're getting out of hardware, but before we do, let me just burn through a bit more capital first...

I'm really curious about this.
    It's becoming clear that J.C. is flying by the seat of his pants ... deceitful and on the verge of talking complete B.S.
    11-11-16 08:06 PM
    I've always thought the D60 was much further along than the Mercury... and I always thought the D60 would come because the production costs were already spent. So, I agree that there is some financial sense in trying to recoup the D60's production costs by releasing it.

I can't see any financial sense in putting the Mercury into production. Chen, at the ER, said the prototype was on his desk awaiting his production go-ahead. So presumably that money hasn't been spent yet. I can't see how those avoidable costs can be recouped by the number of PKB devices that will be sold. So, anyone sensible would avoid them! But, who knows anymore... <shrugs>

If this were a Bollywood movie, there'd be an inexplicable burst of singing and dancing right about now to break the tension of the plot .

Start the music.... Cue John Chen ...
    I recall someone from BlackBerry saying that lead up time (design, parts order, manufacturing, etc.) for devices is a year. For the DTEK60, it was probably less since they had less design work to do, but for Mercury, it was probably at least that long... so, if there were sunk costs in the DTEK60, then there must have been sunk costs put in much earlier for the Mercury. The money must have been spent for parts, so is manufacture + sales with risk of unsold inventory better than write-off of parts?

Also, with such a long lead up time, it does make sense why Chen would announce exit from hardware and yet still have new devices in play for sale or pending for sale. The message is: They're out of hardware and still have some newly developed devices for sale. This is much like Nokia declaring that they would release N9's but drop support for Maemo (the OS) and switch to Windows Phone.
    ardakca likes this.
    11-11-16 08:14 PM
    It's becoming clear that J.C. is flying by the seat of his pants ... deceitful and on the verge of talking complete B.S.
    Do you leave any room at all for having to revise strategies based on quickly changing conditions?
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    11-11-16 08:16 PM
    Some of us have recognized this for well over 2 years now.

Interesting to see so many coming around to that reality now.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-11-16 08:36 PM
    http://www.picturesanimations.com/b/bananas/9.gifhttp://www.picturesanimations.com/b/bananas/9.gifhttp://www.picturesanimations.com/b/bananas/9.gif

You lost me at "Dancing Girls "
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    11-11-16 09:05 PM
    You lost me at "Dancing Girls "
    I thought I lost you at the orphanage.
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-11-16 10:15 PM
    The landlord that rents the warehouse space that is storing BlackBerry's unsold inventory is the only one making money on their handsets.
    It would be hilarious if the warehouse landlords were Mike & Jim, and this whole debacle were the longest (and most capital dissolving) of long trolls.

Posted via CB10
    Menage, JeepBB and PantherBlitz like this.
    11-12-16 04:34 AM
    I've got secret footage from a BlackBerry executive meeting:

One like isn't enough for this video!

I laughed... and laughed... and then realised that I'd been the "expert" several times in my career. I could even put actual names to the people in that meeting!

The line that made me laugh hardest was: "what stops you from having 7 lines perpendicular to each other? ... "well, geometry!" as I have seen that exact same blank look of total non-comprehension on the faces of marketeers and business people as I explain how some technical or physical reality makes what they want impossible. And I've had the "how do you know until you try?" put-down every time. LOL

Poor Anderson... he'll have to move to a different company before reality intervenes ... moving on was certainly the way I've dealt with similar "geometry problems".
    FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    11-12-16 05:14 AM
    Isn't the Priv a physical keyboard phone running Google, and didn't it sell like ****?
    11-12-16 08:37 AM
    Quite possibly.

For older readers: recent events in the BB Soap Opera make the infamous "Bobby in the shower" plot twist from Dallas (where the previous two seasons were revealed to be a dream so that the dead Bobby could return to the show) seem like Shakespearean drama!
    Damn. You could have put this in a spoiler wrapper. I had just started watching that series and now you've spoiled it for me!

Just kidding. But I do wonder why I never did watch that series when it was on????????? Hmmm, inherent good taste???????
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    11-12-16 08:50 AM
    Damn. You could have put this in a spoiler wrapper. I had just started watching that series and now you've spoiled it for me!

Just kidding. But I do wonder why I never did watch that series when it was on????????? Hmmm, inherent good taste???????
    Yes, that was Dallas "jumping the shark" alright!

I recall my wife, who at the time was a big Dallas fan, literally shouting "whaaaaaaat?!!!" at the TV screen when that scene aired ... and she didn't watch another episode of Dallas ever again.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-12-16 09:56 AM
    Isn't the Priv a physical keyboard phone running Google, and didn't it sell like ****?
    Because slider.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-16 10:17 AM
    It's a new maneuver called the "flailpivot".
    Business is a dynamic environment; you always expect the unexpected....If BBRY has an opportunity to do something with this project, as long as it is financially viable, I have no problem with them going for it.
    11-12-16 11:30 AM
    Do you leave any room at all for having to revise strategies based on quickly changing conditions?
    That does not fit the bash-Chen/BBRY narrative so many are eager to engage in.
    11-12-16 01:03 PM
    Jeez some of you people really need to move on. Maybe get a hobby or something.
    11-12-16 03:04 PM
    Jeez some of you people really need to move on. Maybe get a hobby or something.
    Make everyday life somewhat less boring and pointless than it already is ... sure, why not.
    11-13-16 03:14 AM
60 123