Interesting story today that Starbucks apps are being hacked. And I read all sorts of whining here that there's no Starbucks app available for BlackBerry. Well sometimes it's wise to be careful what you wish for. Starbucks app used to hack into bank accounts, credit cards - Business - CBC News

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 07:34 PM
    And...

'Coffee chain says app is not compromised, blames weak password protection'
    But I suppose.. if there was no app there would be no password lol.
    LazyEvul and shaleem like this.
    05-14-15 07:47 PM
    And...

It seems it's always the users if it a certain type of app. But this is about money transfers not nudie pix. Don't you think better basic protection is what's needed here? Help the consumer protect themselves, not blame them when things go wrong.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    05-14-15 08:06 PM
    So was it just that they got passwords elsewhere or... did they actually 'get into the app code/back-end connection/service'?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 08:13 PM
    So was it just that they got passwords elsewhere or... did they actually 'get into the app code/back-end connection/service'?

Posted via CB10
    Starbucks claims that nothing has been compromised on their end. Only thing they could do to help prevent this (if they don't do this already) is add two-factor authentication, or require stronger passwords - though the former still requires the user to enable it, and the latter usually provides nothing more than a marginal improvement.
    05-14-15 08:49 PM
    Starbucks claims that nothing has been compromised on their end. Only thing they could do to help prevent this (if they don't do this already) is add two-factor authentication, or require stronger passwords - though the former still requires the user to enable it, and the latter usually provides nothing more than a marginal improvement.
    So why didn't go straight to Paypal? Guess it all comes down to the weakest link.

Posted via CB10
    Kosmann likes this.
    05-14-15 09:18 PM
    And...

Or it had property security features for an app that stores CC data, like 2 factor authentication...

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 09:18 PM
    Why not just pay cash, how much coffee are you going to drink anyway.
    05-14-15 11:37 PM
    Don't you think better basic protection is what's needed here?
    I don't really think anything about it because I don't use the app nor do I really give a flying leap about it lol. The arguments are better served by someone who actually.

1) Uses the app.
    2) Cares.

I was just highlighting the fact the title was dramatic but the details inside offered more insight. Not going to feign outrage over something I don't even use, unlike a lot of people these days.
    05-15-15 12:29 AM
    There is a very simple solution for all of these convince apps like Starbucks being hacked, pay in CASH, solved.
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    05-15-15 04:54 AM
    I pay with a credit card there, but the app does give some other people I work with some cool things. You get free things every so many purchases because I here my coworkers saying they got this or that now to redeem. I just get frustrated waiting in lines watching the idiots waiting till last minute to open app and slow things down. The funniest thing I have seen is an older women holding up a large iPad to the scanner to pay with the app.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-15-15 05:44 AM
    I pay with a credit card there, but the app does give some other people I work with some cool things. You get free things every so many purchases because I here my coworkers saying they got this or that now to redeem. I just get frustrated waiting in lines watching the idiots waiting till last minute to open app and slow things down. The funniest thing I have seen is an older women holding up a large iPad to the scanner to pay with the app.

Posted via CB10
    I have a friend in Florida who has a coffee shop and so many customers complained about the fleebs slowing down the line paying with their iPhones and iPads and debit cash, now he is CASH ONLY and says it's the best move he ever made. We survived for 200 years using cash and never had the issues with devices being hacked and security and at least the person on the other end had to be able to count!!!!
    05-15-15 06:22 AM
    I have a friend in Florida who has a coffee shop and so many customers complained about the fleebs slowing down the line paying with their iPhones and iPads and debit cash, now he is CASH ONLY and says it's the best move he ever made. We survived for 200 years using cash and never had the issues with devices being hacked and security and at least the person on the other end had to be able to count!!!!
    Pretty sure card is faster and cleaner (esp if the customer swipes it themselves) than cash, but at the expense of the transaction fees imposed on the merchant.

Not sure what the benefit of having a dedicated app for the sole purpose of paying at one store is... aside from a integrated advertisement reminding you to go back to that store.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 07:43 AM
    Its not just about the card or using the phone and an app for paying at merchants. Its about having employees who buy things and put money into the economy.

All these large chains are trying to do by preaching the electronic payment crap is eliminating jobs and increasing their profits, period.

I still prefer using a teller at my bank and a cashier at the stores rather then those automated checkout machines.

I can't wait when one day the big switch is going to be turned off and all those fleebs with their Apple pay and such are going to be scurrying like rats from a burning garage.

Cash is king and I still prefer using it and communicating with a human being at the other end then some machine, I am just old school that's all.
    Tkarps likes this.
    05-15-15 08:08 AM
    Cash is KING, I may be old school but I would rather use cash or credit card to pay for something than have a app on my phone which can be hacked.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 08:39 AM
    I use credit cards for pretty much everything nowadays. Single swipe, sign, take receipt, go. I hate fumbling with cash and tying up cashier lines.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-15-15 09:11 AM
    I pay mostly by credit card and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. In my mind the credit card model isn't broken yet. I use a no annual fee card, pay on time (preauthorized), it's accepted almost everywhere, is fast, is light, and simple. I don't see why there is any reason to pay by phone except that it's "cool."

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 09:46 AM
    My take on this as a user of the app is that if you lock your app with a password then you presented with a numeric keypad. The danger I see is that many will use a number they remember such as their ATM pin and that is not smart. I'm sure the pin stays on the phone as it only unlocks the app and is not the same as your login and password but still it's a bad idea to use a common pin.
    05-15-15 10:02 AM
    Why not just pay cash, how much coffee are you going to drink anyway.
    Haha. This is the correct observation.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 10:10 AM
    Haha. This is the correct observation.

Posted via CB10
    Because I go through cash faster than many do I suppose, and constant trips to an ATM is a hassle. And I'm not going to carry a large roll of bills around to get through the day.
    05-15-15 10:19 AM
    Because I go through cash faster than many do I suppose, and constant trips to an ATM is a hassle. And I'm not going to carry a large roll of bills around to get through the day.
    Convenience vs security. There's a reason why most celebrities use cash over cards.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 10:33 AM
    Convenience vs security. There's a reason why most celebrities use cash over cards.

Posted via CB10
    And you know that for a fact... how?
    05-15-15 10:36 AM
    Pay CASH beneficial to both ends.
    05-15-15 10:55 AM
    Those saying to pay with cash don't know about Starbucks Rewards.
    05-15-15 11:04 AM
    I pay mostly by credit card and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. In my mind the credit card model isn't broken yet. I use a no annual fee card, pay on time (preauthorized), it's accepted almost everywhere, is fast, is light, and simple. I don't see why there is any reason to pay by phone except that it's "cool."

Posted via CB10
    You've seen the stories about the breaches at Target, Home Depot, and elsewhere?

THOSE are why touchless payment-capable terminals are going to be mandated by the end of the year. The system is very broken. The industry themselves are saying so.
    05-15-15 12:08 PM
82 123 ...