They say my blackberry can last over 500 hours on "standby" mode.. Are they referring to holding the mute key to put it into "standby" mode where all it does it turn off the screen and the keyboard? OR are they talking about powering "off" holding the power button until it turns "off" ? It seems my BB would never last even 30 hours while I just leave it in the "hold mute" standby mode. Even if I disable BT and Data it still is eating far too much battery to ever hope to approach even 100 hours, let alone over the 500 hours claimed.

What causes this? I have only the standard built in programs running at the time. I have security enabled, content protection enabled and I keep the BB inside its sheath which forces the screen to stay off (I presume the same as what I think Standby mode is) Yet even in its sheath with Data turned off and all programs that can be closed closed it still uses too much battery.

Your thoughts?
    11-13-11 02:50 PM
    here are three scenarios ive experienced on my 9700.

1.) network and data shut off....slowly draining at like 0.2% an hour. it lasted for like 15 days. (untouched/unused)

2.) turn the network on and let it sit, it will drain at about 1-1.5% an hour and will last (untouched/unused) for roughly 3-4 days.

3.) power off totally by using the power off button, the battery will last for probably upwards of a month, slowly draining charge even though its powered off.

my guess is standby time should mean #2, from what we would assume "standby" should mean. but in reality, i believe manufactures consider standby more like #3.
    11-13-11 07:47 PM
    Well in my situation I have an 8800. I have turned Data off, bluetooth does not even work and is disabled any way and the GPS is turned off along with its assist option.

leaving my BB alone in its magnet enabled sheath it drains 3% per hour..

Apps I have installed:
    Google talk (closed but sometimes it opens on it's own maybe?)
    Google Maps (not running)
    Twitter (not running)
    Tiny Monitor (not running) / It tracks battery drain over time even while closed maybe it has a hidden way of functioning in the background wasting battery life maybe??
    BlackBerry App world.
    UC web browser (Not running)
    Some kind of network activity counter (not working) (it does start on reboot and needs closing)

Does anything there seem fishy? The only thing running when I do these tests are the basic things I cannot close. The browser which is on the bookmark page, BBIM, Messages and the calls page or what ever which lists the calls. All things You cannot close.

I am at a loss. I have now uninstalled the following in an attempt to see if the level of drain lowers:

Google Talk
    Twitter
    Blackberry App World
    That network traffic activity thing

So I will have to see what happens. Do you have any clues as to my 3% standby battery drain?
    11-13-11 07:56 PM
    i have no clue what could be draining your phone. i dont know if the older BB devices drained quicker just because of the older OS/hardware or if its related to an app you have installed.

i have found that some apps create a drain more than others. you can try removing them all and installing them one by one and see which one causes a drain. or make sure you are on the newest OS.
    11-13-11 08:01 PM
    This is a brand spanking new battery I ordered the other day, original BB battery. My 8800 is rated at over 500 hours standby battery life and like 5 - 7 or something hours talk time. I have seen other people say they dont think standby time is 500 hours but "maybe" 400 hours. Well since I am leaking 3% life per hour minimum, there is no way I could ever hit nice figures of standby runtime. I was dead sure disabling data and GPS would fix it but there is absolutely zero difference.. 3% drain just the same.
    11-13-11 08:05 PM
    here are three scenarios ive experienced on my 9700.

1.) network and data shut off....slowly draining at like 0.2% an hour. it lasted for like 15 days. (untouched/unused)

2.) turn the network on and let it sit, it will drain at about 1-1.5% an hour and will last (untouched/unused) for roughly 3-4 days.

3.) power off totally by using the power off button, the battery will last for probably upwards of a month, slowly draining charge even though its powered off.

my guess is standby time should mean #2, from what we would assume "standby" should mean. but in reality, i believe manufactures consider standby more like #3.
    When you say in number 1 with network and data shut off, are you saying with no phone abilities just as a totally isolated device totally offline? Then number 2 meaning with just the normal phone network on so you can make calls? If I have that right, the runtime on the BB with just phone access seems very low. My old sony ericsson K500i I am only now replacing (2004 phone) would last way over a week if I left it alone. But it was still able to receive and make calls etc.

So can you clarify for me the comparison here?

Thanks
    11-13-11 08:33 PM
    When you say in number 1 with network and data shut off, are you saying with no phone abilities just as a totally isolated device totally offline? Then number 2 meaning with just the normal phone network on so you can make calls?

So can you clarify for me the comparison here?

Thanks

yes and yes
    11-13-11 09:01 PM
    yes and yes
    Hmm I figured a BB would last longer than 3 or 4 days with just phone access. Either way I love my BB. If you could get such long runtime without the phone network or data, then with just the phone network it drops to 3 or 4 days, what are BB doing differently with the phone network/radio than a normal mobile phone would do with it? I mean if you have data and everything else disabled, shouldn't it have as good or longer runtime as a typical phone perhaps?
    11-13-11 09:04 PM
    Well I did my test with no third party software installed on it and wrote down the time and 100% battery. Went to bed, woke up and did the calculations and it worked out at like 3.6% per hour being drained. That was no data enabled, no bluetooth, just only the normal phone network and in its holster idle with no extra software running.

I have not done a test with even the phone network disabled, because in reality I would never do that because the point is to have at minimum phone contact and then if I am not in the house enable data so I can have extra communication. The problem is having the data enabled or disabled has zero impact on my battery.. does that sound right to you?

Why would I use the same amount of power even after disabling data communication?
    11-14-11 03:13 PM
    Here's a link that may help explain just what BlackBerry Standby Mode is http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...5/#post6034363
    11-14-11 03:19 PM
    Here's a link that may help explain just what BlackBerry Standby Mode is http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...5/#post6034363
    Thanks. My tests were in holster mode so it was already in a power saving "mode" and it was using 3.6% just doing nothing. I had no programs open or running and the only radio working was the standard phone network. Everything else was disabled. I do not understand why I am having this kind of usage.
    11-14-11 03:31 PM
    Both my 9800's run at >1% even with network and wifi on during slack times, meaning with light (really light) usage they go about a week between charges. This is on OS version .666, so maybe it's not such a bad number after all. My 9810 has been below 1% but only overnight, same conditions. Average for 9810 is 1.5 on a slow day.
    Last edited by AugustArborists; 11-14-11 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
    11-14-11 03:35 PM
    Thanks. My tests were in holster mode so it was already in a power saving "mode" and it was using 3.6% just doing nothing. I had no programs open or running and the only radio working was the standard phone network. Everything else was disabled. I do not understand why I am having this kind of usage.
    Some apps will access the data network on a reglular basis. FaceBook is notorious for this. Using the data network does use up battery faster than not using the data network.

Try this just to test a principle. Re-boot your phone to Safe Mode. Safe Mode is a "clean" boot with no 3rd party (non-RIM) apps for this boot only.

Safe Mode is invoked by re-booting the phone and holding down the <Escape> key which is located to the right of the trackpad. No 3rd party apps should result in battery drain as RIM planned it. Being in a poor network reception area can also drain the battery even in Standby Mode.

Cell phones talk to the network very briefly about evey 30 seconds in good reception areas.

When reception falls off, the dialog process can talk longer to complete. Additionally the phone will always try to find the strongest signal and will work hard to eliminate what is known as multi-pathing to eliminate signal echos and other radio network nasties.

Lastly poor reception will cause the phone to increase the rate at which the phone will try to say "Hi" to the network.

The above will happen in normal or Standby Mode.
    11-14-11 04:41 PM
    I am going to try that safe mode thing. The only thing I am curious about is I uninstalled like almost all the applications and it was still using battery like crazy. I generally have good signal here too. Technically speaking, should disabling "Data" on the phone save any power if you are just receiving push email? Or is it just saving on data "usage" rather than power?
    11-14-11 06:04 PM
    Ok, I tried safe mode (I fully charged the battery) and here is my findings:

Safe mode:

23:05 100%
    23:47 100%

So as you can see after like 42 mins or what ever it is still on 100% battery. I just rebooted the phone and presumably it will be in "normal" mode? Well I am doing another test now to see what the difference is. I think the only third party app left on here is GPSLogger or something or what ever it is called. Its the program that works offline to track your movements and provide speed, distance, time etc stats. But if I do not load it up, I do not see why it would be using any power.

If this next normal mode test uses more battery than safe mode, other than uninstalling that 1 last app off my phone, is there anything else that would cause this or that I could do to prevent the drain?
    11-14-11 06:54 PM
    seems I was not in safe mode since I am reading safe mode is for v4.6 + and my BB is version 4.5.x However I noticed a quick drop off by 5% when I next looked after a reboot after like 20 mins. So is it that the battery indicator on the status page is only updated every 5% or something? The "Tiny Meter" I was using would track each percent.
    11-14-11 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD