Just wondering maybe Im paranoid. But i downloaded a theme.. is there anyway that theme creator could have added something to the script to spy on my keystrokes for facebook, e-mail etc.
    08-24-10 06:59 PM
    Can you elaborate. What is happening with your phone?
    08-24-10 07:40 PM
    nothing has happened. I just want to know if these themes that people post for blackberrys. can they be coded so that the creators can spy on your information. such as passwords etc.
    08-24-10 07:53 PM
    There's no way a theme could do that.
    I don't even think an app could, but if one could I bet it would kill your battery.
    08-24-10 08:19 PM
  5. T
    nothing has happened. I just want to know if these themes that people post for blackberrys. can they be coded so that the creators can spy on your information. such as passwords etc.
    Just curious ... What spooked you?
    08-24-10 08:45 PM
    I have wondered this about adding applications to phones. The worst seems to be with Android but sure it could happen on any platform...or so it would seem.
    08-24-10 08:57 PM
    Unless I'm seriously mistaken (possible), it can easily happen on a BB if you download App X and give App X permissions to access your bb, the connection, etc. I, frankly, have no idea what happens behind the scenes in some of the various programs I've downloaded. I hope for the best but no one is truly vetting the apps that we see posted here and in other places.

Now, themes generally don't need all of the permissions some other programs need. But gps programs know where I'm at, some will transmit my tracks to email or a website so they have access to location, the device, communications - how do I know that they are not doing just a bit more than I expect?

I have to guess that is why many IS departments keep their users BB's locked down - no outside apps are allowed on the device.
    08-24-10 09:48 PM
    Just curious ... What spooked you?
    people reuploadings other people's theme that they stole without permission and branding it as their own.

I fear people grab someone's theme, encode it with something and redistrubute it..

.. like there has to be a reason people steal other people's themes... like they get something out of it. Also I got a new icon when i downloaded a them called Application updater .. but all my apps were to date.. they wanted me to update MSN and facebook..
    08-26-10 02:38 PM
    08-26-10 03:52 PM
    Be aware when you give permissions after installing something new.
    08-26-10 04:06 PM
    To be perfectly honest mate i can't really see an application that could be used maliciously to spy on people (or is designed for that purpose) being approved by any mainstream distributor such as MobiHand or RIM's App World, And i'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess that's where you get your apps from. I wouldn't be so paranoid if i were you, As a general rule if you don't want them knowing your location don't enable Geo-Tagging services.
    Last edited by Mowsey; 08-26-10 at 06:50 PM.
    08-26-10 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD