I'm not sure if this site has a good reputation or not but it's being reports on both fiercewireless and phonescoop that Sprint and Verizon are adding WiFi to the tour next year.

Sprint's BlackBerry Tour to sprout WiFi next year - FierceWireless
    07-09-09 08:47 PM
    we have known about this for a long time now for verizon anyway..the tour is the last blackberry to not have wifi
    07-09-09 08:48 PM
    we have known about this for a long time now for verizon anyway..the tour is the last blackberry to not have wifi
    We, or at least I, know that the Tour is the last BB on verizon to be without WiFi, but I gathered from this article is that they are releasing the TOUR with WiFi next year...
    07-09-09 09:12 PM
    still the question remains why no wifi on the current tour????
    07-09-09 09:16 PM
    We, or at least I, know that the Tour is the last BB on verizon to be without WiFi, but I gathered from this article is that they are releasing the TOUR with WiFi next year...
    doubt it. the phone will be another blackberry, but doubt very highly they will release the tour yet again with wifi..very unlikely
    07-09-09 09:18 PM
    That would kinda suck if they release another Tour next year with WiFi...
    07-09-09 09:19 PM
    I have heard from CX and others that the Tour will be the best BB out for a while. It kinda makes you wonder how lond a while is?
    07-09-09 09:24 PM
    [QUOTE]
    I have heard from CX and others that the Tour will be the best BB out for a while. It kinda makes you wonder how lond a while is?[/QUOT
    for us CDMA users, probably abotu a year if not a little longer
    07-09-09 09:25 PM
    It makes you re-think whether signing for 2 years is always the way to go. Is the discount always so much worth it, versus the discount you get even with signing for only 1 year? If a desireable phone will come out within 1 year of signing, I wonder how the math works out if you signed only for 1 year in the average situation.
    07-09-09 09:42 PM
    still the question remains why no wifi on the current tour????
    Do you all remember the rumor about Sprint waiting for a replacement for the Broadcomm chipset used in the early Niagaras, in order to avoid having to pay royalties on their patent? Early on it was thought that this would delay Sprint's release by a few months. And we know that some of the early Niagaras had WiFi. Because of this, I was surprised to hear that Sprint would be releasing the Tour at the same time as Verizon. It seems they couldn't afford to go any longer without a new device.

Jeff Clemow's comments today about the upcoming Tour with WiFi seems to confirm this as he said, "Sprint decided to launch the current version of the Tour without WiFi so as not to fall behind the curve. Speed to market ... outweighed the desire to wait for WiFi."
    Last edited by Scott Spillers; 07-09-09 at 09:50 PM.
    07-09-09 09:48 PM
    blackberry has done this before, they released the curve with gps and then a different one with wifi, so it is possible.
    07-09-09 09:51 PM
    Here's the deal, as I have stated numerous (and for the last) time(s).

Sprint initially was going to "launch" the 9630 WITH WiFi.

That expected release date was the end of August / start of September.

When Sprint realized that the Tour (sans WiFi) was going to officially be announced and that they would be "behind the curve" on the launch of the new device, Sprint contacted RIM and got in on the current Tour.

This was a good decision on Sprints behalf, because how many people would have been irked @ Sprint because they didn't have anything to compete with Verizon?

So...again...to break it down....

Sprint initially was going to release the Tour with WiFi.
    If Sprint did that, it wouldn't launch until late summer.
    Sprint didn't want to lose potential sales and customers, so they committed to RIM and contracted for the current Tour.
    The 9630 WITH WiFi is NOT A MYTH and DOES EXIST and myself and several others that I associate with have these devices in our possession.
    BEST EDUCATED GUESS for SPRINT at this point is that the 9630 WITH WIFI will be released in late fall/early winter on Sprint.
    This will allow final testing without rushing the device to market and possibly launching with some jacked up issues (hello storm and 8350i?), plus it will allow the 9630 WITHOUT WIFI to saturate the market and make them some money.
    07-09-09 09:57 PM
    well since the tour doesn't have wifi wouldn't it make sense to make the onyx available for sprint and verizon especially considering that it will be a newer device and how many of you guys would want to buy a slightly tweaked device instead of a totally new one a new one altogether?
    07-09-09 09:58 PM
    Dude...I am a crackberry addict too and have worked with RIM for many years...But seriously...What BlackBerry (other than the Storm) HASN'T been a "slightly tweaked device"?

And yet people still buy them like they are lining up on a street corner in New Orleans.
    07-09-09 10:03 PM
    And when have you ever known RIM to "make sense". HAH.

They officially named the 8900 the "Curve 2".
    They jacked original Pearl users on video recording.
    To send a message as high priority it's labeled as "Options" rather than Importance or Priority.

RIM makes a great device, but their overall common sense as a company is ridiculously terrible.
    07-09-09 10:05 PM
    that sucks this is the last bberry to not have wifi, but i can't wait for a bberry that does. i have been waiting forever i feel for the tour, so i'll just get it w/o!
    07-09-09 10:40 PM
    I didn't see anything hint to verizon re-releasing the Tour with wi-fi. Sprint said they were going to but Verizon simply said that their BBs from now on will have wi-fi. I didn't interpretate that as another Tour release.
    07-09-09 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD