I can't take this anymore!!!

I have a Sprint Tour 9630 but tethering it as a modem to a mac is getting to me. I have followed ALL the tutorials to the letter that i can find online. I use to have a Sprint Curve that worked perfectly well using this same process. However, the Tour is giving this problem among many others. I am staring to think this phone worthless. I have tried both #777 and #96* and nothing!!! I get the following message:

"Internet Connect

A modem error occurred. Please verify your settings and try again."

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP...
    09-15-09 08:08 PM
    Come on everyone, I know there has to be someone who knows about this. Am I the only one with this issue??
    09-16-09 12:49 PM
    I have the same problem with my Tour and my Curve, try to connect but, the "Modem Enable" message show for 2 seconds and disappear.
    Provider Sprint.
    09-16-09 07:07 PM
    I didn't have any problem setting up my macbook Pro (Mac OS Leopard) with my BB Tour. I didn't need any script and found it straightforward via the bluetooth/modem installer. Make sure to have the option "Access the internet with your phone's data connection" ticked. Phone Vendor: Sprint; Phone Model: PCS Vision; Username: (blank); Password: (blank); Phone Number: #777.
    09-29-09 08:31 AM
    I didn't have any problem setting up my macbook Pro (Mac OS Leopard) with my BB Tour. I didn't need any script and found it straightforward via the bluetooth/modem installer. Make sure to have the option "Access the internet with your phone's data connection" ticked. Phone Vendor: Sprint; Phone Model: PCS Vision; Username: (blank); Password: (blank); Phone Number: #777.
    Same here with no problems.

Unless this goes back to the recent tethering being cut off for some Sprint customers. I think its being narrowed down to those that now have the any mobile any time or whatever they are calling it. Some of us still dont' have it on our accounts but will once the next cycle comes through.
    09-29-09 09:49 AM
    In northern VA, we got the Blackberry 9630 Tour working as modem over usb on windows xp and over bluetooth on mac -- and using multiple means, with and without VZAM (on PC) and without added software or scripts on MAC.

Then we take the mac and Tour to Richmond VA and it won't work!!

Also, sometimes after a failed attempt to connect, seem to need to pull the battery from the phone and reinsert it to get it to work again.

Maybe the difference between those who its its easy and those who can't make it work is a little more subtle than some of the comments claim?? Help!!
    09-30-09 09:03 PM
    I have the same problem with "modem timeout error". I had it working on my old 8830 and then worked the on my Tour. After a few uses, just stoped working. I hope someone finds the solution soon. Ive spent hours and found several posts all saying the same problems with no answers.
    10-08-09 08:25 PM
    For those having issues...in osx, go into system preferences, then bluetooth prefs, and delete the tour from your paired devices list. Then go into network connections, and delete the existing bluetooth dun connection. Now, go up to the top right hand corner of your screen and click the bluetooth icon (if its not there then go into system prefs, bluetooth) and re-pair your tour with osx. During the pairing process, it will ask if you want to use the phone to conect to the internet-select this checkbox. Now, it will bring up some options...select sprint pcs from the dropdown list of vendors...it may or may not have populated one of the fielkds below with a number ...erase everything, and manually ttpe in "777" for the phone number. Finish the setup steps and you're done. During the process you should see an option that says something along the lines of "show modem status in the toolbar"-or whatever it says...click yes. This will put an icon of a phone in the top right of your screen by the clock and the bluetooth icon. Click the phone icon and select "connect" ... Should be smooth sailing from here. Sorry for messy outline...I'm in the process of writing up a very thorough and detailed set of instructions for tethering on all carriers/operating systems. Any questions for mac tethering with the tour or 8830, pm or pin me 30D43DF4

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 08:35 PM
    I just installed the newest Sprint OS v4.7.1.57 as well as the new BB Desktop Manager for Mac. Am running OS X 10.5.8 on my mac and am no longer able to tether with my tour. I have tried deleting paired device from bluetooth and network in system preferences, then adding a new bluetooth port in network and re-pairing my tour, all to no avail. Phone is pairing fine, just when I go to connect, it tries but eventually times out. I am just wondering if there was something in the new sprint software update that has disabled the tethering feature.
    10-11-09 09:51 PM
    I had an 8830 and was able to connect to my Mac. When I switch to the Tour I had a hard time connecting until I followed the directions given in this thread (thank you!). I had connection for at least a week and now I can't connect again! If Sprint is removing this feature why did I connect to at all? Is it that they caught on to the connection? Could it be that this phone has too many apps that don't let the modem connect? They are closed so I don't know. It's driving me crazy!!!

P.S. When I go to the Bluetooth Setup Assistant it does not let me add the Vendors name so it stays as Generic and the phone model says Bluetooth LAN Access.
    Last edited by Lisetica15517; 10-15-09 at 10:18 PM.
    10-15-09 10:09 PM
    I tried deleting from both the computer and from the mac. I also went into network preferences and deleted the existing dun connection. Now I get an error message stating "bluetooth setup assistant cannot set up my device as a dial up modem because the bluetooth interface is not available. open network preferences to add it". I don't know what to do from here.
    10-22-09 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD