so... i just called Sprint, and this is what they told me.

Carrier IQ is in my Bold 9930. However, they say (dont believe them), that they have a privacy policy and do not look at what I see, or read my messages, sms, bbms, email, etc. The purpose for it, so they say, is to see how much I use the phone and to ensure that everything is working fine. They said it does not take up battery life or data.

so i really dont know what to say or do. Should i request they remove it since RIM says it's not authorized?
    12-01-11 09:14 PM
    Where?
    It has to be in the phone itself. It can't just hide itself, it will at least show up as a .cod, Service book or something. No one has any idea where the file is.
    12-01-11 09:23 PM
    Where?
    It has to be in the phone itself. It can't just hide itself, it will at least show up as a .cod, Service book or something. No one has any idea where the file is.
    they said it was installed by them, not RIM. I didnt ask where it is though...
    12-01-11 09:27 PM
    This is real bs from Sprint and these other sh*t carriers. I'm sick of the antics. I'm almost inclined to say **** it, pay the etf, and no more money for Sprint from me. What would I do? I don't really care at this point. Simple Mobile or some prepaid call and text plan.
    12-01-11 10:09 PM
    I'm almost inclined to do the same thing and ask whether AT&T put this on my phone.

If both RIM and Sprint are telling the truth, that RIM never authorized the carriers to install Carrier IQ on BlackBerry devices and Sprint did so anyway, could this maybe be a breach of contract by Sprint? Could even RIM have a case against them?
    12-02-11 12:14 AM
    I'm almost inclined to do the same thing and ask whether AT&T put this on my phone.

If both RIM and Sprint are telling the truth, that RIM never authorized the carriers to install Carrier IQ on BlackBerry devices and Sprint did so anyway, could this maybe be a breach of contract by Sprint? Could even RIM have a case against them?
    and could the consumers have a case? because this is nowhere in my contract, this is a breach of privacy...
    12-02-11 01:24 AM
    If it doesn't say anything in their policies or contract, I think that is illegal. I believe they have to tell the customers about this somewhere in the privacy policy or contract.
    12-02-11 03:14 AM
    If I was on Sprint, I would drop them like a hot potato. I would even inform them that there would be no EFT from me.

US Cellular and Verizon have both publically announced that they do not install CIQ. I doubt they would lie about it because if people are looking for it on their phones they would only be digging a deeper hole for themselves.
    12-02-11 06:34 AM
    so... i just called Sprint, and this is what they told me.

Carrier IQ is in my Bold 9930. However, they say (dont believe them), that they have a privacy policy and do not look at what I see, or read my messages, sms, bbms, email, etc. The purpose for it, so they say, is to see how much I use the phone and to ensure that everything is working fine. They said it does not take up battery life or data.

so i really dont know what to say or do. Should i request they remove it since RIM says it's not authorized?
    Do a quick global search on the phone for "IQ" and see if anything pops up. I'm wondering if it shows up as an app or if they've found a way to hide it deep in the ROM. If you can't find it I may finally start installing hybrid OS's on my phone too. Apparently T-Mobile uses it too, but I couldn't find it on my phone.
    12-02-11 07:56 AM
    Do a quick global search on the phone for "IQ" and see if anything pops up. I'm wondering if it shows up as an app or if they've found a way to hide it deep in the ROM. If you can't find it I may finally start installing hybrid OS's on my phone too. Apparently T-Mobile uses it too, but I couldn't find it on my phone.
    did that already. checked the service books, system files..nothing
    12-02-11 11:41 AM
    "I would like to inform you that Carrier IQ can't be removed. Carrier IQ is an integral part of the Sprint service. Sprint relies on Carrier IQ to help maintain our network performance. It is integrated into the phone system and enabled by OEM phone firmware." word's from Sprint Rep. this is what they are being told to tell us.. and they state the privacy policy covers this
    12-02-11 12:27 PM
    CIQ has been ripped out of my rooted Android. Dirty b@stards!
    12-02-11 12:27 PM
    OEM??? I thought that was RIM ...
    12-02-11 12:38 PM
    "I would like to inform you that Carrier IQ can't be removed. Carrier IQ is an integral part of the Sprint service. Sprint relies on Carrier IQ to help maintain our network performance. It is integrated into the phone system and enabled by OEM phone firmware." word's from Sprint Rep. this is what they are being told to tell us.. and they state the privacy policy covers this
    Do you think installing an OS released by a non-American (or even non-Sprint) carrier would remove Carrier IQ?
    12-02-11 12:39 PM
    This is real bs from Sprint and these other sh*t carriers. I'm sick of the antics. I'm almost inclined to say **** it, pay the etf, and no more money for Sprint from me. What would I do? I don't really care at this point. Simple Mobile or some prepaid call and text plan.
    Go to VZW, they confirmed they don't use it period.
    12-02-11 12:41 PM
    Go to VZW, they confirmed they don't use it period.
    But does it use another similar spyware program?
    12-02-11 12:47 PM
    my advice is to use verizon's software now.
    12-02-11 12:55 PM
    But does it use another similar spyware program?
    No, not that anyone knows of. Only AT&T and Sprint have confirmed they do it. T-Mobile hasn't even said anything yet AFAIK.

I trust VZW more than Sprint anyways. There was an article posted on this site a few years ago saying that Sprint handed over millions of customers info to the government. I know other carrier do it too but this is just crazy.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/1...-8-million-law
    12-02-11 01:02 PM
    Can anyone confirm if Tmobile is running this and if its on the 9900, my prof spoke of how he almost got scammed thru his friends phone email.
    12-02-11 01:36 PM
    Can anyone confirm if Tmobile is running this and if its on the 9900, my prof spoke of how he almost got scammed thru his friends phone email.
    T-Mobile hasn't said a word yet AFAIK and all other major US carriers have.
    12-02-11 01:39 PM
    How about deleting the Sprint certificates?? Won't that stop it?
    12-02-11 03:47 PM
    T-Mobile hasn't even said anything yet AFAIK.
    The statment from t-mobile us/uk

T-Mobile US:

T-Mobile utilizes the Carrier IQ diagnostic tool to troubleshoot device and network performance with the goal of enhancing network reliability and our customers' experience . T-Mobile does not use this diagnostic tool to obtain the content of text, email or voice messages, or the specific destinations of a customers' internet activity, nor is the tool used for marketing purposes.

T-Mobile UK:

I can confirm that Carrier IQ software is not and has not been installed on any T-Mobile phones.
    12-02-11 04:00 PM
    So VZW is the only major US carrier not using it then. Good to know.
    12-02-11 04:07 PM
    So if ATT, Sprint and T-Mo use it, where is it on Blackberry's? No one has reported finding any files related to it yet.
    12-02-11 04:44 PM
    So if ATT, Sprint and T-Mo use it, where is it on Blackberry's? No one has reported finding any files related to it yet.
    I posted this in the other topic:

Intersting discussion:

Re: Does CarrierIQ run on BlackBerry devices? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

From Page Two:

"On BlackBerry, third party applications can only capture keystrokes when they are in the foreground (their screen is shown)." --Mark Sohm, BlackBerry Development Advisor

and:

"If you check your module list, either on the phone or with javaloader, you see all modules. A 'hidden' application would be a system module, but still visible in the module list."

Could someone please provide in layman's terms the steps for doing this?

I'll post it in this one, too, hopefully for some reply.
    12-02-11 04:50 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD