My wife bought me a iPod touch for Xmas which has given me a chance to play around with a number of iPhone Style functions. One area that I have been impressed is the number of sites with iPhone friendly web pages. The pages are formatted for and thought out for the iPhone, but it looks like there isn't anything overly complex on the pages and I don't see anything that would stop a Blackberry (particularly a Storm) from rendering these pages.

Is there any simple way to spoof the pages to say that I am using an iPhone.
    01-11-10 01:14 PM
    nopz it would have to be built into the blackberry and thats more then likely not going to happen the current options are "blackberry" "firefox" "internet explorer"
    01-11-10 01:17 PM
    It was my impression that normally the web sites are built to recognize a mobile device, and thus render the page appropriately. This should be irrespective of it being an iPhone, Storm, or other device. That said, there is nothing to prevent them from doing as you say. The browser identifies itself when you connect to a web site, so the iPhone identifies as a Safari browser.

I'm guessing though that what you are seeing is the Safari browser itself, rendering a regular PC web page. It is just an excellent browser, which makes pages look like they were formatted for the iPhone. You may have noticed all of the complaints about BB browsers, and that is the reason why -- Safari!
    01-11-10 01:22 PM
    It was my impression that normally the web sites are built to recognize a mobile device, and thus render the page appropriately. This should be irrespective of it being an iPhone, Storm, or other device. That said, there is nothing to prevent them from doing as you say. The browser identifies itself when you connect to a web site, so the iPhone identifies as a Safari browser.

I'm guessing though that what you are seeing is the Safari browser itself, rendering a regular PC web page. It is just an excellent browser, which makes pages look like they were formatted for the iPhone. You may have noticed all of the complaints about BB browsers, and that is the reason why -- Safari!
    It doesn't make them look like they were formatted for the iPhone. They
    purposely were formatted for the iPhone.

You'll see what I mean if you go to a site like the tipb.com, boygeniusreport.com,
    or even deadspin.com all on an iPhone or iTouch
    01-11-10 01:27 PM
    Exactly. They are not a normal rendered for mobile browsing site, they are made specially for the iPhone and look quite nice.
    01-11-10 02:45 PM
    It doesn't make them look like they were formatted for the iPhone. They
    purposely were formatted for the iPhone.

You'll see what I mean if you go to a site like the tipb.com, boygeniusreport.com,
    or even deadspin.com all on an iPhone or iTouch
    bgr loaded the mobile version for me on blackberry but the iphone blog did not
    01-11-10 02:52 PM
    I don't have a Blackberry yet so I can't tell you. Firefox and possibly Opera should be able to spoof the browser header. If you can run either of those on your handset there is hope.

I can spoof browser headers from my desktop browsers, haven't tried it on my Nokia yet. Might be interesting.

I would have to look at it again to remember what I had to do in Opera. In Firefox/Seamonkey/Mozilla, go to about:config and add a string called general.useragent.override and paste the desired header string in there.

How do you find the "desired header string?" You can search the net but if you have a device and want to know the header, like in your case, go to grc.com and use the Shields Up area to find your browser header string. There are other sites that show you it as well.
    Last edited by F0nage; 01-11-10 at 03:01 PM.
    01-11-10 02:58 PM
    bgr loaded the mobile version for me on blackberry but the iphone blog did not
    The page view is at the bottom of their page. It's the same for their forums
    as well. I know for sure that in order to view the forums in the format we're
    discussing you need to switch to mobile view as well manually.
    01-11-10 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD