i know the spoof app is funny but someone has been spoofing my girls and they cant sleep and feel like they are being stalked. i like to think its just one of their friends playing a joke but its been a couple days and from a couple numbers.They are actually losing sleep over this now. I just wanted to know if any of you out there know if there is a way to find the actual number they are calling from. they would rather not change their numbers cause they have had them for years. i thought it was kind of weird when a number that called them was to a phone that was off in front of them at the time. or when they were in the same room and one of their phones said it was calling the other one. I am just assuming that it is this app that makes this kind of thing possible.

thanks in advance i just hope i can figure this out for them they arent the most technical phone people
    05-28-09 04:45 AM
    I would simply instruct your daughters to casually inform their friends that Thier Father is getting in touch with an old classmate who works with the Police Department, FBI , Justice department ETC. They are moving forward with getting a court order against the spoofing service to turn over all records connected to their cell phone numbers.

Have them complain that it is a PAIN for them because they must document when the spoofing calls/texts occur.

Word will spread and the spoofing will stop.
    05-28-09 09:56 AM
    take the app off?
    05-28-09 10:03 AM
    Very good idea! Add to it that friends may be asked to give statements as witnesses, etc which would give them another reason to be talking about it to everyone.

It might not be a bad idea to really look into that. I wonder who you call about such things? I imagine this spoofing thing will soon get way out of hand & be shut down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 10:04 AM
    On June 27, 2007, the United States Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation approved and submitted to the Senate calendar S.704, a bill that would make it a crime to spoof caller ID. Dubbed the "Truth in Caller ID Act of 2007", the bill would outlaw causing "any caller identification service to transmit misleading or inaccurate caller identification information" via "any telecommunications service or IP-enabled voice service". Law enforcement is exempted from the rule. ...
    In fact, there are laws in progress, that govern Caller ID spoofing.
    05-28-09 10:07 AM
    take the app off?
    The app wouldn't be on their phones. It's on someone else's phone who has something like this,
    123SPOOF - Change your Caller ID on the Phone

Interesting tidbit, on the above site, I saw this link,
    Do Not Spoof Registry
    Not really sure if it's legit, but I'm going to check it out. It might help the OP.
    05-28-09 10:17 AM
    Oh well that sucks! I hope she gets it figured out.
    05-28-09 10:20 AM
    In fact, there are laws in progress, that govern Caller ID spoofing.
    There should be a law. I brought this up in a thread about the 123spoof app: What if someone enters a random number and it happens to be YOUR number? You get a call, from somebody asking about a call to them that you never made. It could get ugly, and folks are crazy.

It's a dumb, potentially harmful app. If you gotta do all that to trick folks, then maybe you need to change how you live.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 05-28-09 at 10:41 AM.
    05-28-09 10:28 AM
    Well, unfortunately it looks like the Do Not Spoof Registry is mainly aimed at self-regulating telemarketing companies, so it probably wouldn't help much.

The FCC has some info, but again it is aimed primarily at telemarketers.
    Caller ID and Spoofing

You could contact your carrier who might have more success in determining the caller's actual number.
    If the nature of the calls are harassing or threatening, it might be enough to start a criminal investigation.
    If none of the above works, I would resort to changing the phone numbers being called, and not giving them out again, to anyone who is not family.
    05-28-09 10:33 AM
    If they are being affected by it then I would go the extra step and actually report it to the police. It may be just a joke to someone but why take that chance?

Report it and I am sure the cops can get the telecom company involved. They may be able to track down the culprit.
    05-28-09 11:25 AM
    One of the most stupidest and ridiculous apps ever. I hope the OP gets this problem resolved immediately.
    05-28-09 11:46 AM
    i know the spoof app is funny but someone has been spoofing my girls and they cant sleep and feel like they are being stalked. i like to think its just one of their friends playing a joke but its been a couple days and from a couple numbers.They are actually losing sleep over this now.
    Actually there is not a thing you or your girls can do about this. It's one of their friends or a friend of one of their friends, or someone at school with a school directory who is doing this to them and maybe a few other kids at the school. So even though they would rather not change their numbers, it's pretty much what their going to have to do, or ignore it and wait for the person to get tired of playing games.

If the calls are coming after they go to bed, just turn the phones off. If they are being sent txt, save them to turn over to the police, if there are messages on vm, save them as well.

This is one reason that Google Voice (formally GrandCentral) and services like it, will be a good thing for girls in school and single women to use. They only give out the Google Voice number, and never their cell, work or home numbers.

If they don't want to wait and do decide to change their numbers, they are not to lend their phone to anyone, and block their caller ID for every single call they make. If they have friends that do not take blocked calls, they will need to workout some sort of code, to let that person know they are calling, like, call, hang up, call back. Or yes, leave the no blocked calls friend, a voice mail. That way is they start getting more spoofed numbers, it will only be from someone they have given their number to, or called without blocking their caller ID info.

It may also mean that once they change their phone numbers, they will have to change their texting habits as well. Or at least who they text, and where they post their info to txt them.

If they have been texting random people on say facebook or myspace, using their cell phones, rather than the interface on the websites, these random strangers now have their phone numbers,which was the case for a friends daughter. They ended up changing her phone number and nixing her web interactions.
    05-28-09 11:59 AM
    thanks to everyone that replied. so far we have taken record of all the weird calls and contacted the police. but if anyone does find a way to find the original caller. do let us all know how. i would love to know who's playing jokester.
    05-28-09 11:10 PM
    change your number

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 11:25 PM
    Have them get youmail. You can actually make it so that when a number is not on your caller id they get a specific message. There are some very convincing ones that say "the call you are making is being monitor for possible illegal activities" it sounds official too. Turn the tables. BUT YOU CAN trace these calls because of the specific ip signature they leave. People have been arrested for these for calling 911 on a spoof #.FOXNews.com - Prank 911 Calls Send SWAT Teams to Unsuspecting Homes - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News.
    05-28-09 11:33 PM
    Have them get youmail. You can actually make it so that when a number is not on your caller id they get a specific message. There are some very convincing ones that say "the call you are making is being monitor for possible illegal activities" it sounds official too. Turn the tables. BUT YOU CAN trace these calls because of the specific ip signature they leave. People have been arrested for these for calling 911 on a spoof #.FOXNews.com - Prank 911 Calls Send SWAT Teams to Unsuspecting Homes - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News.
    Not a bad idea...
    05-28-09 11:38 PM
    thanks to everyone that replied. so far we have taken record of all the weird calls and contacted the police. but if anyone does find a way to find the original caller. do let us all know how. i would love to know who's playing jokester.
    The police is the best and only thing to do. On the carrier's end, it shows up as the number they inputted.
    05-28-09 11:43 PM
    take the app off?

how is he going to take the app off of someone elses phone?
    05-29-09 01:59 AM
    I always thought those spoof apps were bad news, people should know that they're going to be used for the wrong reasons.
    05-29-09 02:27 AM
    The police is the best and only thing to do.
    I agree that contacting the police is the best thing to do.

On the carrier's end, it shows up as the number they inputted.
    The number may show up as the spoofed number, but how about the ESN or IMEI? The equipment identifier and location is sent to the tower and central office along with all of the other information for tracking and charging purposes.

It would be a royal PITA for the carrier to track this info down, (and it might be an unreported stolen phone being used), but it is most certainly possible, I believe. Am I wrong?
    05-29-09 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD