I've left the BB realm a long time ago but keep up on this site as my mom (and now my sister who just got a 9700) aren't as savvy with the BBOS and so turn to me for help. I just spent 2 days in possession of my mothers Torch getting it up and running the way she likes things, and I have some thoughts on OS6 and the new hardware.

First thing - I am impressed by the hardware. It's much better than I felt it looked in the media launch information. In person it's a solid device. Not stuck on the keyboard and preferred my old 8330 keyboard but the slider is awesome. The screen, on the other hand, SUCKS - however that is likely due to me being spoilt by my super AmoLED. The Torch screen is no where near as responsive as my Vibrant, but if I had been comparing it to my Pre or Storm it would be equal (in case of the Pre) and a step up on the Storm. The processor can be a little laggy but not as bad as the Storm.

I have to say, I am not stuck on the OS. I found it busy, counter intuitive compared to the old OS, and a processor hog. I like it in theory and some of the things they have done, but I got frustrated pretty quickly with it. I assumed it was the learning curve and it would get better as I got used to a BBOS again after WebOS and Android, but it didn't get better for me. Some of it is well done but some of it seems like it was thrown in a pile and left wherever the stuff happened to land.

Big browser improvement, but still slower than the Pre browser and the Android browser. Still, compared to the old BB browser (which was crap) it's a huge, HUGE improvement.

I am happy to be back with my Vibrant, but if there was a device that would tempt me back to the BB side it is the Torch. It needs some fine tuning and a big processor and screen bump but its definitely a step in the right direction for RIM.

My sister just went BB for the first time, and didn't like the Torch but went with a Bold 9700. Gotta say that is the top of the heap BB right there - why isn't that the screen on the Torch?
    10-09-10 07:05 PM
    Good honest review coming from an Andriod/WebOS fan...

Not sure why they didn't use the Bold screen to be honest, but I am sure others would have an idea.

When I test drove the Torch for an hour at the store, I thought it was hardware wise solid, but don't care for the KB compared to my 9700 and some people will say they are similar, which I don't get. Felt cheaper to me and top heavy when typing because of the slider.

TS was nice and seemed responsive and didn't take long to get used too. OS6 was nice, but didn't make me say WOW! Honestly OS5 works fine for me and again honestly can get by on Opera5 for a browser and it is faster native wise, but not much more so than Opera5...granted I browse mostly mobile on OS5 to OS6 on full HTML pages, but I am on a phone, not a computer, so not as big of a deal to me compared to most, lol!

Media was better, video's came in a lot better for whatever reason than my 9700, which come in like **** on a stick!

Photos seemed a little better, not much though. Snappier pic taking and sending off...

Overall, I am sticking with my 9700 until something really blows me away. Hoping QNX software OS is implemented on the phones as well as the playbook....

If not, I am never tied down to one brand and will get what best suites me.

Again awesome review!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 02:42 PM
    The screen does seem to register incorrectly when I press on it at times, like I'm pressing about an eighth of an inch below where I actually pressed. Doesn't seem to be a problem on all of them, some that I've used are spot on.
    10-10-10 02:49 PM
    What's wrong with the screen? I keep hearing that the screen sucks, but I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 03:44 PM
    Good review. However I don't mind the screen resolution. I find it is sufficient for what the device needs to do. Everything looks sharp enough to me, except for text on a webpage when it's full screen, but I always zoom in text with a double tap to read it. I don't care to read text at size 2pt.
    10-10-10 04:09 PM
    I find the screen to be perfectly suited to my needs. I don't watch movies or play games (beyond Sudoku) so for me it's fine.
    I have seen the display on the iPhone 4 and it is absolutely gorgeous, the most gorgeous display I've ever seen. However, my needs go beyond a gorgeous display. So, for my use and my needs and wants, the Torch is perfect. Love the slightly larger size, don't want to carry one of those huge devices around.
    If Apple had given me a user replaceable battery and true multitasking, I would have bought an iPhone 4. Since they won't, I'll stay with Blackberry...until Dell releases the Lightning....we'll see if I get that.
    10-10-10 04:18 PM
    Why did it take two days to set up? Sounds excessive.
    10-10-10 04:52 PM
    Like I said, if I hadn't used the Vibrant I'd probably like the screen. However, I am now used to the super AmoLED and so anything else in comparison is going to pale. It's not as if I watch movies or play games either - Angry Birds is it, but for browsing and just general use I was still disappointed in the screen coming from the Vibrant. If they had used the screen res from the 9700 I'd likely be more impressed but it felt like they cheaped out on the screen, and considering they are marketing the Torch as a multimedia phone it makes no sense to me.

As far as why it took two days? You have never met my mother and I *may* have drawn out the process to play with it. Also, this happened last weekend in between me getting married and leaving for my honeymoon so there were more important things than her BB, but she wouldn't wait until after the honeymoon and if she had attempted it herself she would have bricked the thing (she is the antithesis of tech savvy heh). The majority of the work was done the night before the wedding because I was scared to death, nervous and it gave me something to do other than freak out.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 10-10-10 at 05:10 PM.
    10-10-10 04:53 PM
    Oh. That makes sense. Congratulations.

I know when I played with a Torch in the store, it just didn't feel all that impressive in any regard vs what the competition is offering. It probably is the best BB so far but for me, as one who is interested in more fun/multimedia functionality while retaining good messaging capabilities, it seemed to fall short, especially after all the ads.
    10-10-10 05:07 PM
    Oh. That makes sense. Congratulations.

I know when I played with a Torch in the store, it just didn't feel all that impressive in any regard vs what the competition is offering. It probably is the best BB so far but for me, as one who is interested in more fun/multimedia functionality while retaining good messaging capabilities, it seemed to fall short, especially after all the ads.
    Thanks It was set up her Torch or drink. I went with the Torch. LOL
    10-10-10 05:09 PM
    I find the screen to be perfectly suited to my needs. I don't watch movies or play games (beyond Sudoku) so for me it's fine.
    I have seen the display on the iPhone 4 and it is absolutely gorgeous, the most gorgeous display I've ever seen. However, my needs go beyond a gorgeous display. So, for my use and my needs and wants, the Torch is perfect. Love the slightly larger size, don't want to carry one of those huge devices around.
    If Apple had given me a user replaceable battery and true multitasking, I would have bought an iPhone 4. Since they won't, I'll stay with Blackberry...until Dell releases the Lightning....we'll see if I get that.
    The argment of toy vs machine is getting old and needs to die from Blackberry fanboys/girls.
    10-10-10 05:20 PM
    The argment of toy vs machine is getting old and needs to die from Blackberry fanboys/girls.
    That toy thing always makes me think of folks who are inwardly disappointed in what they have, but trying to make him/herself feel better by rationalizing the competitive devices are "only" toys and mentally trying to build up their chosen device to remain happy.
    10-10-10 05:39 PM
    Where did I make a toy/machine argument? I simply said that *I* don't play games or watch movies so the screen is fine for me.
    I think you're attributing statements to me that I did not make.

And in the same post I mentioned that the reason I didn't go to iPhone 4 were no user replaceable battery and lack of true multitasking. Hardly the statement of a fanboy/girl

And then I mentioned I'm interested in Dell Lightning.

Please don't say I made statements I did not make.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-10-10 at 06:00 PM.
    10-10-10 05:57 PM
    That toy thing always makes me think of folks who are inwardly disappointed in what they have, but trying to make him/herself feel better by rationalizing the competitive devices are "only" toys and mentally trying to build up their chosen device to remain happy.
    Please read my initial post again. Tell me where I said the word "toy" or bashed any other device.
    I am open to iPhone 5 *if* it lets me replace my own battery *and* allows me greater multitasking.
    I don't enjoy Android.
    I like WM.
    I buy the device I like regardless of manufacturers. I simply happen to not like Android. Is that a crime or am I *required* to like Android????

How is that staying loyal to one platform only and calling others "toys"?
    10-10-10 06:07 PM
    I think it was because it was "I don't play games or watch movies" which is the usual argument that precedes "iphones/android are toyz/bbb are for teh grownups!!!11!11!" statement, lol.

I mean, I don't watch movies or play games either but the screen is gorgeous for web browsing etc on the Vibrant, and yes the BB screen does suck in comparison. You don't have to play games or watch movies to want a high res screen. YMMV of course.
    10-10-10 09:29 PM
    Where did I make a toy/machine argument? I simply said that *I* don't play games or watch movies so the screen is fine for me.
    I think you're attributing statements to me that I did not make.

And in the same post I mentioned that the reason I didn't go to iPhone 4 were no user replaceable battery and lack of true multitasking. Hardly the statement of a fanboy/girl

And then I mentioned I'm interested in Dell Lightning.

Please don't say I made statements I did not make.
    Wow Qb, you've been getting thrashed lately, read the post about the trackpad a day or two ago
    Weren't you going to get a 9650? did you jump ship?
    Thanks for the Search and Rescue work, hope to not need your service anytime soon!
    10-10-10 10:46 PM
    First things first, Reeneebob congratulations on taking the leap and good luck.
    Secondly, QbnKelt never mentioned the toy vs. machine argument.
    Thirdly, BB is a powerful, customizeable business tool where as the iphone is clearly a powerhouse of a multimedia phone. Both great phones in the realms they exist in.

But, imo BB is for adults and iphones are for...............

lol hope I riled him up.
    10-11-10 12:55 AM
    LOL I wasn't the one who said she did make the toy vs machine argument, I just explained why the other poster maybe thought that was what was said.

As far as the leap, thanks - it took me 16 years to get him to make an honest woman outta me, but I won. LOL
    10-11-10 01:07 AM
    I know you didnt say it ReeneeBob and "You go girl". lol

16 years?? He fought a valiant fight but in the end we know who are the true rulers of our world are. ;-)
    10-11-10 01:13 AM
    the whole toy vs business thing is a joke...

what YOU prefer is what counts. for many, the BB works better as a business device w/ multitasking and whatnot.

But to generalize the whole thing is just incorrect.
    10-11-10 01:16 AM
    I know you didnt say it ReeneeBob and "You go girl". lol

16 years?? He fought a valiant fight but in the end we know who are the true rulers of our world are. ;-)
    I know, right?

I didn't think you meant me, but I thought I better clarify just in case.
    10-11-10 02:05 AM
    Wow Qb, you've been getting thrashed lately, read the post about the trackpad a day or two ago
    Weren't you going to get a 9650? did you jump ship?
    Thanks for the Search and Rescue work, hope to not need your service anytime soon!
    LOL!!! Yeah, I suppose noticing something on a device that I considered fun to talk about on a late Friday afternoon, just for grins, turns out to be some kind of offensive statement there.....as if I hadn't been around Berries for a month or two!!!I don't know why those people were so over the top angry. I only remarked on something I considered fun....I wasn't putting down the device, all I remarked upon was that the trackpad was purple...they really need to get over themselves. One is an immature troll, judging by the language used and the mannerisms, but the other two were surprising. I didn't go back there, just left them, they're not worth my effort. I'm sure they're still going at it. I wonder why no mod ever made it there.

No, I have the 9650 for work. It was issued after my last promotion very recently. Prior to that I had the 8530 which was OK, prior to that it was the 8830WE which was a love of mine, prior the 8703, and prior those ugly things whose numbers I don't even remember....but I like my 9650 now. My personal phones have been the 8310, 9000, iPhone 3GS briefly, 9700 and now Torch. Looking forward to the 9780, just because I have an addiction!

You're welcome on the SAR...I am blessed to be able to serve. Right now I'm training my young dog, I lost my partner, Thor, right after my last deployment.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-11-10 at 07:03 AM.
    10-11-10 06:30 AM
    I think it was because it was "I don't play games or watch movies" which is the usual argument that precedes "iphones/android are toyz/bbb are for teh grownups!!!11!11!" statement, lol.

I mean, I don't watch movies or play games either but the screen is gorgeous for web browsing etc on the Vibrant, and yes the BB screen does suck in comparison. You don't have to play games or watch movies to want a high res screen. YMMV of course.
    I understand what you say about the screen - it's just that for me it's not placed high on the list of requirements. There are other features that are a must for me for my own personal reasons and needs. Example, I must be able to carry spare batteries. Also, I must have a very good battery life. Those two things may not be dealbreakers for a lot of people, but they are for me. I remember when the whole "lost" iPhone 4 pics came out and some people thought that there would be a user replaceable battery and posted about it. OMG....I was so there. I thought absolutely I would get it. Sadly, that wasn't the case. I give up the gorgeous display for the sake of a device that will allow me to remain connected longer. It's what I need and want. The features on the BBerry are perfectly suited for me and my life, whether it's work (I don't have a choice there, but if I did, I'd still pick a BBerry) or personal.

All of that said....I will consider the next iPhone....but not Android yet. I haven't seen one that appeals to me, there is something about the OS I don't like, and I can't quite place it. I just spent the weekend with my sister in law's device, and I just didn't fall in love, didn't walk away going WOW!!!! I HAVE TO GET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-11-10 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD