I know all the specs whores won't agree but..

"Unless you're tech savvy, they do not care," Lamar said about customers interest in mobile chips.

Unlike personal computers, which most folks know are powered by an Intel chip (thanks to the "Intel Inside" marketing campaign that made famous its five-note jingle), most people don't know or care about what chips are in their smartphones and tablets, so long as their gadgets work.
    What's inside your smartphone? Most customers don't care - CNET

As I have said many times before. If I ask all the people in our office and all my friends what are the specs of their own phone. Maybe 1 out of 20 will know a few of the specs of the phone. The other 19 don't know what CPU, memory, screen resolution, battery size, or storage they have. They do know if the phone works and works well and that is it..

Some people on this forum like specs, but they are in the minority and don't make up the vast majority of users. So whining and complaining about specs is just that and not a valid business case or decision.

Now when it comes to marketing, BlackBerry sucks and that is a bigger factor than specs. That applies for all electronic devices.
    Xenolock, pogly2, mk2234 and 1 others like this.
    03-03-15 07:36 AM
    I know all the specs whores won't agree but..

What's inside your smartphone? Most customers don't care - CNET

As I have said many times before. If I ask all the people in our office and all my friends what are the specs of their own phone. Maybe 1 out of 20 will know a few of the specs of the phone. The other 19 don't know what CPU, memory, screen resolution, battery size, or storage they have. They do know if the phone works and works well and that is it..

Some people on this forum like specs, but they are in the minority and don't make up the vast majority of users. So whining and complaining about specs is just that and not a valid business case or decision.

Now when it comes to marketing, BlackBerry sucks and that is a bigger factor than specs. That applies for all electronic devices.
    yeah, yeah.... but most people buy a new people every couple of years and it IS a better device.... Most would never expect that the brand new Classic is the same device as the two year old Q10. No we don't need super specs on our phones, but improvements would be nice. I can tell you that I DO see more performance issues now with BB10 than I did two years ago... I imagine that a little upgrade in power would make those go away.

But Specs and Marketing are what BlackBerry would need to capture the attention of CONSUMERS. They are going after enterprise and Security, Manageability and Pricing are what they think those customers want. So stop whining and complaining about marketing....
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-03-15 07:52 AM
    On the bright side, seeing these "old" specs on these new devices just make it more likely that our older devices will continue to be compatible with more future OS updates lol.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    03-03-15 07:57 AM
    Instead of marketing about specs, BlackBerry really should market about the usage experience itself, something like "smooth, no lag experience" or something along that line. 2.4GHz and quad-core flies above average people's head but "smooth and no lag" is instantly relatable.

All the GHz in the world wouldn't help you if people still see their OS boot like a bedridden grandpa trying to wake up

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-03-15 07:59 AM
    yeah, yeah.... but most people buy a new people every couple of years and it IS a better device.... Most would never expect that the brand new Classic is the same device as the two year old Q10. No we don't need super specs on our phones, but improvements would be nice. I can tell you that I DO see more performance issues now with BB10 than I did two years ago... I imagine that a little upgrade in power would make those go away.

But Specs and Marketing are what BlackBerry would need to capture the attention of CONSUMERS. They are going after enterprise and Security, Manageability and Pricing are what they think those customers want. So stop whining and complaining about marketing....
    The Classic to most people is an improved device. I showed it to a few people who have the Q10 and they all want or are getting it. Not a single one asked what processor. The vast majority don't care.
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-03-15 08:07 AM
    The only spec that the average consumer cares about is megapixels in the camera. And caring about that is irrelevant anyway but people think that more megapixels means better camera quality which couldn't be further from the truth. But that's how camera companies marketed their product and people have bought into that terminology.

People care if the phone works smoothly, plain and simple. Ask 10 people what the specs of their phone are and 9 of them will give you what Brand the phone is and that's about it, which is normal. Most people just don't care and by all accounts, shouldn't if their phone works for them.
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-03-15 08:10 AM
    Instead of marketing about specs, BlackBerry really should market about the usage experience itself, something like "smooth, no lag experience" or something along that line. 2.4GHz and quad-core flies above average people's head but "smooth and no lag" is instantly relatable.

All the GHz in the world wouldn't help you if people still see their OS boot like a bedridden grandpa trying to wake up

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    Boot up? I have done that maybe twice on my Z30 in the last year. So who cares. when I talk to user who have a BlackBerry and explain why it takes so long to boot up because it is checking to make sure nothing has been installed that shouldn't and it is protecting them, they like the explanation and think it is great. Same with the length of time for wiping the phone. I explain it to them that it is writing zeros in every location on the storage so no one could ever get anything off their phone. That someone could get information off a "wiped" iphone if they had the tools.
    03-03-15 08:12 AM
    The Classic to most people is an improved device. I showed it to a few people who have the Q10 and they all want or are getting it. Not a single one asked what processor. The vast majority don't care.
    This. Case in point: Torch 9810 had a dramatically faster processor compared to Bold 9700, yet people don't fuss about the CPU speed and only about the spinning clocks and the like

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-03-15 08:13 AM
    The only spec that the average consumer cares about is megapixels in the camera. And caring about that is irrelevant anyway but people think that more megapixels means better camera quality which couldn't be further from the truth. But that's how camera companies marketed their product and people have bought into that terminology.

People care if the phone works smoothly, plain and simple. Ask 10 people what the specs of their phone are and 9 of them will give you what Brand the phone is and that's about it, which is normal. Most people just don't care and by all accounts, shouldn't if their phone works for them.
    And actually, the only spec question or spec that the people I deal with is battery life.
    03-03-15 08:13 AM
    Boot up? I have done that maybe twice on my Z30 in the last year. So who cares. when I talk to user who have a BlackBerry and explain why it takes so long to boot up because it is checking to make sure nothing has been installed that shouldn't and it is protecting them, they like the explanation and think it is great. Same with the length of time for wiping the phone. I explain it to them that it is writing zeros in every location on the storage so no one could ever get anything off their phone. That someone could get information off a "wiped" iphone if they had the tools.
    Exactly. See, people don't care how things do what they do, only why they do it and whether they're satisfactory enough or not.

So stop focusing on the processor model, speed, whatever and focus on whether using it is pleasant or not

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    03-03-15 08:16 AM
    I get the sinking feeling that Blackberry is trying to "play in the margins" with hardware and is producing these bland devices based on the hardware manufacturers best price for best device.

I suppose this approach is to make the devices a "throw in" for a large enterprise clients who are looking for a price competitive complete end-to-end solution. This means Blackberry is largely out of the device game, other than the fleet replacement/bulk purchase market. Of course so far, they have not been successful so far in getting large organizations to adopt Blackberry in any numbers to indicate this strategy will work.

I wonder if this is part of the Google agreement to segment the market to avoid stepping on each others toes. Oddly, this leaves the Passport as the "odd duck" in all of this and I wonder what plans are for that device ?
    03-03-15 08:23 AM
    Very well said OP. Most average consumer don't come to forums like this anyway. Like you said, BlackBerry must continue to be aggressive in marketing the phones. Things will improve gradually.
    03-03-15 08:38 AM
    Very well said OP. Most average consumer don't come to forums like this anyway. Like you said, BlackBerry must continue to be aggressive in marketing the phones. Things will improve gradually.
    You mean they have to start marketing the phones....
    03-03-15 09:01 AM
    Personally I care about battery life, storage space and responsiveness but I have minimal knowledge of how different kinds of processors work be that CPU or GPU. Oh and the application ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 09:09 AM

Yeah that's true. The only BlackBerry that is better than my Z10 is still the Z30. Going to anything else I would be giving up the hdmi out, which I use with the TV. Probably some other stuff too and the kicker is that the specs would not be any better, just a bit bigger of a screen. Meh, why bother?

That said, the Leap and Z3 are nice for new people who can't find a Z30.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    03-03-15 09:24 AM