I've recently come across a problem regarding spam on my Curve. I get 40-50 emails a day that are just from random names regarding medical offers, weight loss options, and "enhancement" products lol. I'm getting so many of these that it's eating up my data allowance. Any help on how to block these emails would be a HUGE help.

Thanks!
    12-13-08 01:50 PM
    What email are you using? i use gmail and the spam filters on it are REALLY good! i don't get any pushed spam with gmail.

--you can set up filters with your specific email provider.

--you can set up filters on the BIS site.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=rogers
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-13-08 at 01:58 PM.
    12-13-08 01:52 PM
    Are these emails coming directly to your BB, or being pushed from your PC email? If from your PC...need to control it there. If your email address is not a shared address (same one you use on your PC)...than I dunno...
    12-13-08 01:54 PM
    Thanks...I'll look into this and hopefully it'll cut out all this garbage lol
    12-13-08 02:14 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

We can be quite selective about what goes to the BlackBerry and what can be dealt with on the computer.

Once you identify the account, ignoring it or filtering it will be possible.
    12-13-08 02:43 PM
    Hey, just wrote a post that might help to solve your problem, you can find it here: How to filter spam on your BlackBerry | BlackBerry Productivity
    12-14-08 09:29 AM
    The problem with setting a filter is that every time an email comes in it is being sent from a different name with a different address each time. I have yet to receive an email with a name or email address I've seen yet.
    12-15-08 07:44 AM
    I'm not seeing piles of spam, but I do get 2-3 per day that are going directly to my blackberry.com address instead of through my filtered one. I'm curious how they got the address since I don't recall using it directly for anything except on AT&T online forms.
    12-15-08 09:33 AM
    I don't see any way of stopping the SPAM that I am receiving. I have everything except my known contacts being sent to Junk but that Junk mail is still being sent to my Berry. And the BIS filters are useless as the only way to filter emails is to put in a specific subject, from address, etc. and as mentioned before, the from address is different with every message. It's looking like I'm gonna have to go buy a filter that will work. Any suggestions?
    12-15-08 02:22 PM
    I'm not seeing piles of spam, but I do get 2-3 per day that are going directly to my blackberry.com address instead of through my filtered one. I'm curious how they got the address since I don't recall using it directly for anything except on AT&T online forms.
    Random Spam address generator. The AT&T blackerry domain is reasonably well known, so now start with a@, b@, ab@ ...

Otherwise, if its obvious or like your other emails and you annoyed someone, maybe it got posted somewhere or AT&T passed it to one of the 'business partners'.

I have a reserved email address for online forms where I think it might get sold on... spamtrap@(mydomain) - and yes it gets repeat senders into a few spam blacklists.
    12-15-08 07:59 PM
    I don't see any way of stopping the SPAM that I am receiving. I have everything except my known contacts being sent to Junk but that Junk mail is still being sent to my Berry. And the BIS filters are useless as the only way to filter emails is to put in a specific subject, from address, etc. and as mentioned before, the from address is different with every message. It's looking like I'm gonna have to go buy a filter that will work. Any suggestions?
    The only filters which can work in this situation are applied at the server. By the time it gets to your mailbox the damage is done and the mail is heading for your phone before the filters can intervene. There is no simple way to block the spam after it gets into the server, or at least not before it gets picked up by your BB and you get the bandwidth hit. For most users that means either running your own server, or getting the mailbox provider (ISP?) to implement filters.

What is practical depends whether the mailbox is your own domain email, company email, ISP email, and whether you have the knowledge and time to setup your own mail server if necessary. The low end choices include things like change your email address, or forward through a filter to a different unpublished mailbox for your BB.

If you are able to run your own server you can indulge in luxuries like SpamAssassin, and greylisting so the spammers get rejected without ever delivering the spam. I'm doing this here on my ADSL line with a Linux box (retired desktop PC) which cost me about 12 hours of research and setup time. You can even run a mailserver which will poll your existing mailboxes and apply your choice of filters before putting a message into its own mailbox or forwarding out to other destinations.
    12-15-08 08:19 PM
    Yeah im running off of a company server. It's my company email thats getting hammered with spam. I was told by a Rogers employee that greylisting was his personal favorite for the problem.
    12-16-08 07:38 AM
    Interesting (to me) development:

I still get the odd spam mail that only shows up on my BB, and have assumed they were sent directly to my BB account; not necessarily so. My mail host provides very good automatic spam filtering, and I have it sent to a junk folder. Out of curiosity I looked, and found some of the same spam that I'd seen on my BB. Next time one showed up I checked the address and it had been sent to my regular host!

That's when I realized my host was forwarding before applying the spam filter, so it sends the spam on to BB and then dumps it into junk so I don't see it on my PC. I've sent my provider an e-mail asking whether there's a way to defer forwarding until after filtering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD