Since I couldn't find a relevant sub-forum...

I'm sick and tired of getting the stupid icons for "Make-UR-Tones" and "Brain Challenge" pushed to my phone via service book. Sure, they were out of sight and out of mind for a while until I updated to 5.0.0.509 on my Bold 9000. I could just hide them again... but why should I have to? I've paid $500 for my Bold and have a $200/month plan with AT&T... we've all endured frustrating BIS outages and phones with mediocre hardware refreshes being released as new models and loads of dropped calls. I feel I've earned the right not to be spammed any more with icons, don't you?

How would we reach if our Internet Service Provider caused icons to appear on our computer desktop without our permission? Yet we tolerate this from our Wireless Service Provider?

Tonight, I spent 3 hours on the phone with AT&T and was bounced through RIM's support twice in order to try and find a way to get those service books blocked from being sent. After lengthy appeals to ever escalating levels of tech support, the final result was that nothing could be done.

I don't know why, but this has me thoroughly enraged... must've struck a nerve. So I went marching off and downloaded the appropriate compilers and SDKs for programming on a Blackberry... only to find that I need to have the code signed in order to have access to the right API.

Specifically, I was looking at:
    Code:
    COMMAND_DELETE_SERVICE
    If I'm correct, that should delete a particular service book. Just have that application set to run after ever reboot or service book update and keep those perky ones deleted. There's also an API to keep track of service book events, and I assume new service books arriving would be an event. Just have to clean 'em as soon as they arrive. Heck, I'd even be willing to pass up on 50 - 100 KB of precious Application Memory in order to get that accomplished.

Anyone with access to the BlackBerry Signature Tool want to go on a [service] book burning crusade with me?

The other option is that BES users (which I am not) could have a policy set to block all third party browser launchers. That would solve the problem, but would also break the functionality of things like the Crackberry Launcher. Still, would there be any way to put that policy in place (or fake it) for non-BES users?
    03-18-10 09:34 PM
    I'm on AT&T also and probably have the same icons as you. I could not care less.
    In total they probably consume less than 100kbs. On a 256mb device this really
    is such a non issue. I just hide the things and be done with them.

The fact that you spent this much time over such an inconsequential issue
    frankly astounds me. But hey, if this is what blows your hair back, keep doing
    what you do.
    03-18-10 09:54 PM
    An IT Policy will function on a BlackBerry smartphone regardless of whether or not it is actually connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Having that said without the expensive software package you won't be able to build custom IT Policies, but in theory it will work fine should you be able to push a custom IT Policy to your BlackBerry smartphone.
    03-19-10 10:29 AM
    Hide them and get on with your life. It's a non-issue.
    yea really. and i dont know why the OP wasted 3 hours on the phone with at&t and RIM over this. we couldve told you there still wont be a way to solve this other than hiding them.
    03-19-10 09:44 PM
    Took more time to write the post, minus the hours on the phone, than to just hide them and move on with life
    03-20-10 12:46 AM
    i'm really shocked by the response to this.

i recently began using a 9700, and after network registration i had 9 of these ads. on my 8900 i never had more than 4 to "deal with", so it's not hard to imagine the next 'berry will have even more. since the Bold is and always was more expensive than the Curve, these didn't help lower the cost of hardware. in the 12 or so months since i bought my 8900, wireless service rates only got costlier, and i don't see them dropping any time soon.

i respect and admire the OP for the interest and time spent trying to make a difference. he spoke up. maybe it didn't make make any difference, but if others did the same something might get done.

i support the OP's efforts. i would use the solution he seeks, and i would bet everyone above would, too.
    03-21-10 09:37 AM
    i support the OP's efforts. i would use the solution he seeks, and i would bet everyone above would, too.
    Please don't paint me with the same brush you painted the others, I support the OP's efforts too and actually gave an answer to one of his questions. I might know the answer to this issue and probably can "fix" it, but I'm afraid you guys are on your own as without a BlackBerry data plan I can't study the way how Service Books are pushed OTA
    03-21-10 09:47 AM
    i'm really shocked by the response to this.

i recently began using a 9700, and after network registration i had 9 of these ads. on my 8900 i never had more than 4 to "deal with", so it's not hard to imagine the next 'berry will have even more. since the Bold is and always was more expensive than the Curve, these didn't help lower the cost of hardware. in the 12 or so months since i bought my 8900, wireless service rates only got costlier, and i don't see them dropping any time soon.

i respect and admire the OP for the interest and time spent trying to make a difference. he spoke up. maybe it didn't make make any difference, but if others did the same something might get done.

Come on! Get serious!

How difficult is it to highlight an icon (even 9 of them) and press the Menu button and select Hide??

Really??
    03-21-10 10:00 AM
    MotoMama the thing is, even if it was easy we should not have to deal with them in the first place. That's the issue.
    03-21-10 10:17 AM
    i'm really shocked by the response to this. (snip)

I personally agree with you and the OP as well. I can feel his frustration and anger and if there were such a way to ban these pushed icons EVERYBODY would be using it. Don't let their haughty attitudes fool you.

But things being what they are...everyone is correct when they say you can't fight City Hall; as hiding these icons is the only choice we have. Being on Verizon I don't have as many pushed to my phone, but I agree with the premise of what the OP stated...this shouldn't happen. Just like Microsoft shouldn't add a ton of c*r*a*p to our operating systems and Sony shouldn't add so much bloatware to my new laptop that the first thing I need to run on it is a decrapifier! I second your frustration and I resent that I have to create a folder every time I switch themes for JUNK.

I feel your pain. You got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
    Good for you, OP!
    03-21-10 10:24 AM
    i see the OPs point. i have a hidden folder with 12 pushed icons that i'll never use. It's a bit annoying to have place markers pushed. However it's not worth my time, effort or frustration to do anything about other than stick them in my hidden 'junk folder.'

However, if the OP (or anyone else) finds a solution to this i will definitely use it! And would thank you for it! So, keep working on it. If it's worth it to you that's all that matters. Keep us informed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-10 10:40 AM
    I dont think anyone doesnt see OP's point that its annoying theyre there.

But there are some other good points too like some people actually DO download those apps and use them.

and hiding them takes much less time then even making a post on here. Annoying, sure. But a huge rant about it is a little over the top. No one stops you from hiding them.
    03-21-10 10:45 AM
    Just hide them and move one.
    03-21-10 10:49 AM
    True. Some pushed apps may bring awareness to the user. Too bad we can't opt in/out of receiving these though.

Yes, i wouldn't bother with it. But different things bother different people. Like stated above, if he finds a way to get rid of pushed apps or if there was an opt in/out option we'd all be using it. Nothing will change if some people don't try to make a change. That's just my opinion of course.

03-21-10 10:49 AM
    Chrissy, I totally agree! Shouldn't we be able to opt out of
    these annoying shortcuts?

If I really wanted to "create ringtones" or use "Bing" or "Slacker" I would go looking for them myself.

It's the annoying factor that bugs me.
    03-21-10 11:06 AM
    It might be annoying, but I still think that it's much ado about nothing.

When I go to my local college basketball game, I would really prefer not to hear "Tonight's starting lineup brought to you by Pepsi" but I'm not going to storm the AD's office ranting and raving about it.

I ignore it and move on.
    03-21-10 11:24 AM
    It might be annoying, but I still think that it's much ado about nothing.

When I go to my local college basketball game, I would really prefer not to hear "Tonight's starting lineup brought to you by Pepsi" but I'm not going to storm the AD's office ranting and raving about it.

I ignore it and move on.
    LMAO! Very clever! But you know what...there are some nights when I would just be so annoyed that I MIGHT email the AD and complain. Haven't you ever had one of those days? LOL

We're all entitled to be indignant about something once in a while, no?
    03-21-10 11:31 AM
    I'm on AT&T also and probably have the same icons as you. I could not care less.
    In total they probably consume less than 100kbs. On a 256mb device this really
    is such a non issue. I just hide the things and be done with them.
    I'm with the OP, as I also have a Bold 9000, NOT a 9700 so there's only 128M of memory, not 256. And as a Bold user, I have gotten very accustomed to watching what is on my device very carefully, since every kb helps. On .509 now I haven't had as many issues with memory since it is very stable, but it's still something I keep track of, since I still have a few more apps I'd like to be using, but haven't put back on for fear of overloading my memory.

After reading this thread, I went to check, since I just got two new launchers pushed after the upgrade to .509 as well. I now have 17 of these things, from banking apps to games to the At&t Community, which I want nothing to do with. If I did, I could find it myself, but since I can't opt out, I'm stuck. The real question is, how many will there be in 6 months? A year? And the difference is on most every other device like a laptop, you can DELETE them. I also paid a large price tag for a BB and my monthly plan, but yet have to put up with the shenanigans of this c.r.a.p if I change a theme or upgrade. Just pitiful.

Maybe if like the OP everyone says something, it may help to bring about a change. Not like calling for several hours but the next time you go online to pay your bill, check something in your plan, etc, you take a minute or two to put in a customer service complaint or send an email, we may see some of this spam stop or at least decrease. I will include in mine that I will actually avoid these products completely because the spam they were brought to me by is so annoying. Maybe we could actually suggest that the make an "opt-out" for this stuff. Only takes a minute and couldn't hurt. Never know.
    Last edited by JerseyDriver; 03-21-10 at 12:15 PM.
    03-21-10 12:08 PM
    Ok. Everyone needs to also take a reality check. The companies are getting money for pushing these launchers to the device. WAY more money than they are getting from us.

Verizon and Microsoft entered into a multi-million dollar deal to push BING to Verizon BlackBerry devices. All the complaining the world from users isn't going to change this.

Get serious!
    03-21-10 12:20 PM
    That's a good point too. Now i'm discouraged.

03-21-10 12:23 PM
    Ok. Everyone needs to also take a reality check. The companies are getting money for pushing these launchers to the device. WAY more money than they are getting from us.

Verizon and Microsoft entered into a multi-million dollar deal to push BING to Verizon BlackBerry devices. All the complaining the world from users isn't going to change this.

Get serious!
    True, but I doubt Tetris is quite on that level. And I have that game installed, but I specifically found one that didn't get pushed to me
    03-21-10 12:28 PM
    I'm with the OP, as I also have a Bold 9000, NOT a 9700 so there's only 128M of memory, not 256. And as a Bold user, I have gotten very accustomed to watching what is on my device very carefully, since every kb helps. On .509 now I haven't had as many issues with memory since it is very stable, but it's still something I keep track of, since I still have a few more apps I'd like to be using, but haven't put back on for fear of overloading my memory.
    Yes, but the huge overstep in that logic is these icons are only weblinks. If ALL of them equal 100kb thatd be a generous guess. Were talking less than one of the sample pictures or ringtones that come crammed in the phone.

If were complaining about being spammed with crap and taking up space, why arent we looking towards the real space waster in all of the preloaded ringers, sample music/video, photos, etc. That takes up probably 100 times more than these tiny link files. These link files are a total insignificant amount of space on the phone, 128 or 256mb.

And as said, ATT gets BIG $$$$ to provide these links to the various services, kind of a referral fee. And some people do use them, not everyone with a BB is on Crackberry and knows where to get all of these programs from.
    03-21-10 03:29 PM

If were complaining about being spammed with crap and taking up space, why arent we looking towards the real space waster in all of the preloaded ringers, sample music/video, photos, etc. That takes up probably 100 times more than these tiny link files. These link files are a total insignificant amount of space on the phone, 128 or 256mb.
    Well, I for one don't have 128 or 256 MB of space for starters.
    And I understand the launchers don't take up much space.
    And as long as we are complaining, why not complain to RIM about videos, ringers and other stuff we don't want? What the heck? There are always enough hours in the day to complain as far as I am concerned...and always enough blame to go around!
    03-21-10 03:34 PM
    Yes, but the huge overstep in that logic is these icons are only weblinks. If ALL of them equal 100kb thatd be a generous guess. Were talking less than one of the sample pictures or ringtones that come crammed in the phone.

And as said, ATT gets BIG $$$$ to provide these links to the various services, kind of a referral fee. And some people do use them, not everyone with a BB is on Crackberry and knows where to get all of these programs from.
    Totally agree with you, going to upgrade to Willyboys's hybrid soon, and I will have to find a way to completely get rid of the rest of those. Thought I got all of them the last time, but found the Stewart Copeland ringers in there. Between that and some locked contacts like "alien" I have another 1+ M I can get out of my Bold. Here's hoping.
    03-21-10 04:23 PM
    go into options, service books. hold ALT and type SBEB (if that doesn't work, ALT 4?4?)

you should get a message that Legacy service books have been enabled. now you can install without a signature.
    03-24-10 08:52 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD