My Verizon signal has been flaky tonight, often showing no signal at all. I hope it's the carrier and not the BlackBerry. (WiFI works fine.) Connection status for phone = "Unavailable." Yes, I did a battery pull.

At some point I noticed a red "SOS" in place of the normal signal bars. It was there only for a few seconds and then disappeared.

What is that?? Signal available for 911 only, perhaps? Mystified here…

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-20-11 01:53 AM
    My Verizon signal has been flaky tonight, often showing no signal at all. I hope it's the carrier and not the BlackBerry. (WiFI works fine.) Connection status for phone = "Unavailable." Yes, I did a battery pull.

At some point I noticed a red "SOS" in place of the normal signal bars. It was there only for a few seconds and then disappeared.

What is that?? Signal available for 911 only, perhaps? Mystified here…

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Your phone may be in GSM mode. Go to manage connections >mobile network options and put it back to CDMA. See if that fixes it.
    03-20-11 02:27 AM
    it also happens when you current network goes down however you may be roaming on another network for emergency calls only. if you had zero signal, not even enough for a 911 call, it will just say searching for network indefinitely.

most likely a network issue or a tower went down in your area.
    03-20-11 04:07 AM
    Thanks for the replies. It's ok this morning. I was pretty sure it was a carrier or tower issue, I'd just never seen "SOS"on the screen. Signal read 3G so I knew it hadn't switched to GSM; signal level was -156 dBM (I think when there's no signal it goes to -256 dBm, right?).

The "roaming on another network for 911 calls" concept makes sense, I think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD