I am changing (upgrading) my iphone 4 tomorrow for the bb9900 or the 9930?

What are the main differences if any?

and i cant wait to get rid of the iphone 4....... 4 replacements i have had...

are the bb's more reliable before i agree a further 18months?

cheers
    09-11-11 02:38 PM
  2. T
    The 9900 is the gsm version of this new Bold. The 9930 is the CDMA version of the same Bold. If you're in the US, and you're on Sprint or Verizon, you would get the 9930. If you're on AT&T or TMobile, you would get the 9900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-11 02:44 PM
    I live in the UK....

So they are the exact same phone?

Why would blackberry then release 2 of the same phone?

Or is one more for buiness and the other for something else?

sorry i no i am a novice
    09-11-11 02:57 PM
    The 9900 is the gsm version of this new Bold. The 9930 is the CDMA version of the same Bold. If you're in the US, and you're on Sprint or Verizon, you would get the 9930. If you're on AT&T or TMobile, you would get the 9900.

Hey thats not fair! The 9850 has GSM/HSPA radios too! It just doesnt support as many frequencies as the 9860.

But yes to the OP, like Tnis said, The 9850 is the CDMA version and in the US it will run in 1X EV-DO, whereas the 9860 is the GSM variant that is strictly GSM and does not support CDMA in any way.

GSM is a much more globally standardised technology. For this reason international roaming is excellent with GSM. There is so much international roaming in Europe therefore GSM is used 100%. However CDMA isnt as internationally accepted. Great in your own country but if you want to travel somewhere else the chances are your CDMA phone wont work.

But the 9850 will support 3G in Europe as it has a 2100MHz HSPA radio.
    If your from the US and your unlocking the 9850 to run on a GSM network you will only get EDGE service.

Im getting carried away here....

lol, The difference between the phones is the radios. Thats it.

And you dont have to worry because both phones will work great in the US and overseas! Hope I helped, If I did clickem mah Thanks buttons!

EDIT: Sorry, when I was writing this I assumed you were from the US. If I were you, considering your already overseas, I would go with the 9860 as it has the most GSM frequencies and Im sure you would get reception in more places over there than the 9850... although I could be wrong, I dont know the coverage maps for over there.
    Last edited by DannyJK; 09-11-11 at 03:06 PM.
    09-11-11 03:02 PM
    sorry i was asking about the 9900 or the 9930. can i even get the 9930 in the UK?
    Its not on the blackberry uk website :S
    09-11-11 03:20 PM
    I've got my 9900 on 02 in the uk and its also in at Vodafone. And its a fantastic phone

09-11-11 03:34 PM
    sorry i was asking about the 9900 or the 9930. can i even get the 9930 in the UK?
    HAHAHAH so you were! Silly me!

Well most of what I said still applies! The only difference is that the 9930 (The CDMA variant) supports Dual HSPA/UMTS Bands 2100/900MHz unlike the 9850 (The CDMA variant) which only supports 2100MHz HSPA band.

Other than what I just said, absolutely everything I said in my previous post applies, just switch 9850 for 9930, and 9860 for 9900.

So I would stick with the 9900 as It has the most GSM frequencies as GSM is what most of Europe uses.

The only difference is the radios! You just need to chose the phone that uses the most frequencies in your country.

And yeah, I doubt you can even get the 9930 over there. CDMA technology isnt really implemented anywhere outside of North America. Not saying it isnt, but its just not as common.

Now you can clickem mah Thanks buttons?
    syco666 likes this.
    09-11-11 03:38 PM
  8. T
    It's unlikely the 9930 would be as useful to you in the UK as the 9900 would be. The difference is the carrier network technology. The 9930 (CDMA) is designed primarily to work on several large US carriers' networks; the 9900 (GSM) will work well on most carriers' networks in Europe. Other than that, featurewise they should be the same phone.

Last edited by Tnis; 09-11-11 at 04:07 PM.
    09-11-11 04:02 PM
    You need the 9900 it works in the uk and wherever I go in europe. Go get one

09-11-11 04:09 PM
    Get the Blackberry 9900 which is made for GSM use, UK carrier ar using GSM - US carriers are using CDMA and selling the 9930 which can work without a SIM card on carriers such as Verizon and Sprint.

You need the 9900, the 9930 it's not an older newer version or something as you may think.
    Just for the knowledge..
    You can get the 9930 also from a US CDMA carrier and unlock it to use it on GSM carrier such as Orange, O2 and the others in the UK.
    09-11-11 06:51 PM
    BB gives phones made for different carriers a different number although they are the same model type- its just the way they do things. The phones are basically the same except for frequencies/radios. Your number will depend on where you live and your carrier. (9930 will be found more in the USA). Hope that helps.
    09-11-11 11:27 PM
    I would almost recommend trying to get the 9930 from Verizon or Sprint and unlocking it. It will take a SIM and run just fine all over the world on 3G, including the U.K. (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

The advantage over the 9900 would be that if you were to travel to the U.S. at any point, you'd have the option to choose between that device's CDMA carrier (Verizon or Sprint) or either GSM carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile - EDGE only) for some sort of weekly/monthly temporary plan. In my view, more options = always better

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 04:05 AM
    Thanks everyone for all the help....

One more question why would bb release two phones that are pretty much the same?

Is it like saying do i go for the iphone 3g or iphone 3gs? again sorry i am new to all the blackberry talk.....

I do like the look of the bb 9900.... whats it like against the iphone 4 (my current phone)
    09-12-11 12:45 PM

One more question why would bb release two phones that are pretty much the same?

Is it like saying do i go for the iphone 3g or iphone 3gs? again sorry i am new to all the blackberry talk.....
    Try not to think of it as two phones. It's more that there is one design, one phone. There are types of networks (in general) that RIM must support: CDMA and GSM. The 9900 has a GSM radio, and the 9930 is EXACTLY the same, except that along with the GSM radio, there is a CDMA radio. This is because the 9930 is designed to be "world" capable, that is, compatible with most other networks around the world, which are all GSM.

As for looks, I'd say go play with one in a store. There's nothing anyone can say to make you like the look of one phone over another=/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 12:54 PM

I do like the look of the bb 9900.... whats it like against the iphone 4 (my current phone)
    Your question was answered on post#2...
    09-12-11 12:59 PM

Nothing like...it's a great device with a keyboard and Blackberry OS 7...
    09-12-11 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD