Before everyone starts let me make one thing clear: I am absolutely digging the return of the tool belt. ABSOLUTELY. But the leaked specs of the phone, the pictures are disappointing. 2 year old specs, and the device in no way looks even as premium as a 9900 (the back of the device specifically) since it is being touted as Bold 9900 replacement, it must truly be a replacement. I know we haven't seen the official specs yet but as per leaks, the specs are very disappointing. Please don't say they are enough, they can improve. Like they did with the Passport. I know it isn't exactly a flagship but it shouldn't feel like a Q5 category phone either. It should look the class of a 9900 since a lot of executives will be carrying it. They should follow the Q10 and Q5 model with the classic as well. A flagship of sorts (499$) and then a budget model (349$)
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-14-14 10:23 AM
    The Classic will be dirt cheap compared to the Q10 or even the 9900 at launch.
    dietertong likes this.
    10-14-14 10:27 AM
    Yeah I'm not s sure on their strategy with the classic but we know it wasn't supposed to be what the passport is, the classic is really geared towards the old school BlackBerry users that are still clinging on to their legacy devices waiting for a 'real' replacement.

This is probably why the specs are Meh when compared to the passport.

Posted on my snappy new passport!!
    10-14-14 10:30 AM
    I am with you on this one. I am not feeling the classic. After getting the Passport (I had to return it due to issues with the OS- but the replacement is coming)- going back to my Z30 it looked small. Can you imagine what the classic would look like after the Passport? Way too small- But one thing I do like about what BlackBerry is doing- they are making devices to suit different people/users. Big screen and keyboard- small screen and keyboard- all touch (Z30, etc). I will give them that!
    10-14-14 10:31 AM
    The Classic will be dirt cheap compared to the Q10 or even the 9900 at launch.
    I wouldn't be too happy about that exactly. I mean I would want it be somewhat of a premium device. Not the flagship, but premium.
    10-14-14 10:31 AM
    I don't think it was ever meant to impress... it is meant to get people off of bbos phones

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    10-14-14 10:42 AM
    Not meant to be a premium device. Corporate workhorse (unlike the Passport, which I would classify as an "executive" phone).
    Ecm, Bbnivende and dietertong like this.
    10-14-14 10:46 AM
    A q10 with tool belt. That's all the classic is about.

Now keyboard lovers will have 4 choices.
    Q5 - Clicky separate keyboard
    Q10 - Flagship keyboard
    Classic - Flagship keyboard with belt
    Passport - Wide keyboard
    10-14-14 11:39 AM
    Not meant to be a premium device. Corporate workhorse (unlike the Passport, which I would classify as an "executive" phone).
    Exactly. Buy them in bulk for en masse deployments, but get something better than a decrepit BBOS phone and cheaper than a flagship Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 11:44 AM
    A q10 with tool belt. That's all the classic is about.

Now keyboard lovers will have 4 choices.
    Q5 - Clicky separate keyboard
    Q10 - Flagship keyboard
    Classic - Flagship keyboard with belt
    Passport - Wide keyboard
    And next year the upcoming Visa/Victoria which is a slider, I would probably not going to get the first Gen tho...lol

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 12:00 PM
    I think lot of people are assuming it is a 9900 replacement. I don't think it is. I think it is a curve replacement may be a little better.

It is because of this assumption that people are disappointed.

It has to be cheap for it to be deployed as a workhorse in enterprise.

Making it premium has two problems. 1. Enterprise uptake is likely to be lower due to price (higher price if it is a premium device) 2. Non enterprise uptake would be lower too. Consumers want all touch, by and large, and hence not make up the loss in enterprise sales.

Making it cheaper solves above problems. The downside is people looking for a 9900 replacement are going to be disappointed.

And this number is lower then most think. Because a lot of the guys upgraded to or will upgrade to passport.

In business there is no perfect decision but this is is the best BlackBerry can make.

This is assuming that they indeed release the device based on the current leaks.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by gokulesh; 10-14-14 at 01:27 PM.
    10-14-14 12:09 PM
    I guess it depends on what you define "9900 replacement" to mean. The Classic is roughly the same form-factor with a better spec and just as good a keyboard. Functionally, the Classic roughly DOES replace the 9900.

If you're talking about a device that takes the place of where the 9900 was in the lineup at launch, that's really where the Passport is now.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-14-14 12:30 PM
    BBOS owners whether enterprise or consumer will consider the Classic as replacement for a broken phone.
    10-14-14 01:45 PM
    The Classic isn't meant to impress us. It's for the execs who still carry a bold or a BBOS device and want an upgrade which is similar to that.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 01:56 PM
    BBOS owners whether enterprise or consumer will consider the Classic as replacement for a broken phone.
    How do you see the 9900 as "broken"?
    10-14-14 02:36 PM
    K

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 02:39 PM
    I wouldn't be too happy about that exactly. I mean I would want it be somewhat of a premium device. Not the flagship, but premium.
    Sorry, but your desires do not align with BlackBerry. Adjust your desires.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 02:43 PM
    For example , a relative of mine has a company owned phone and he needs to wear it out before they will replace it. This is his third 9900. There are many many BBOS devices out there that meet the needs of their owners and consequently they are still being used.
    10-14-14 09:49 PM
    rephrase... When someone's 9900 breaks, they can look to the classic for their replacement phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 09:55 PM
    It did not impress me either

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 11:21 PM
    Buck as always is spot on here. The Classic will likely (right?) be cheaper, it was clearly cheaper to produce for BB. I think they're really aiming for some solid penetration with it.

That being said...will the swipe gestures even work? Or do the toolbelt keys literally replace them? Personally I think the Classic is just a bit...off. It looks boxy. The Bold series was so classy looking. This phone really appears to be a Q10 plus a toolbelt, with little other thought put in. Combine that with an averageish, non-removable battery and I don't totally understand the vision anymore.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 03:01 AM
    Sorry, i don't get it. Is an non removeable battery "classic"?

That's unclassic.

I love my Q5 but What if the battery losing capacity After 1 or 2 years (which is normal) and i want replace it? Or,even worst battery dies?

Easy to do?

Z10 (red) OS 10.2.2.1531 Q5 (red) OS 10.3.0.1418
    10-15-14 04:13 AM
    I wish they are using the spares from the 1 Billion $ which were written off from the unsold Z10s.
    10-15-14 04:31 AM
    Buck as always is spot on here. The Classic will likely (right?) be cheaper, it was clearly cheaper to produce for BB. I think they're really aiming for some solid penetration with it.

That being said...will the swipe gestures even work? Or do the toolbelt keys literally replace them? Personally I think the Classic is just a bit...off. It looks boxy. The Bold series was so classy looking. This phone really appears to be a Q10 plus a toolbelt, with little other thought put in. Combine that with an averageish, non-removable battery and I don't totally understand the vision anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Flattery will get you everywhere

Yes, the screen will still support gestures on the Passport. BB10 is so dependent on them that it's hard to imagine how the Classic would work without them.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome PASSPORT(!) 2BDDB50E
    10-16-14 02:25 AM
    rephrase... When someone's 9900 breaks, they can look to the classic for their replacement phone.

Posted via CB10
    No they can't just replace it as gone will be the BIS and there are many adjustments to be made, it's basically starting fresh with a new platform. It's in no way a plug and play replacement.

Looking around EBay and local Gumtree I see the 9900 still commanding high prices second hand, not far off the Q10 actually.

Another few months and the Q10 will be cheaper then the 9900 I bet.
    10-16-14 02:58 AM
35 12