You could always download the BBM for Android app but then your phone might explode and turn into a wormwhole
    05-04-14 01:08 PM
    ^^^^. That would be soooo cool

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    05-04-14 01:43 PM
    I had more people on whatsapp but all my friends,familly are now on BBM, so I deleted my whatsapp account since oktober 2013. Dont miss it and love stickers, groups and channels

One thing I hated from whatsapp that every customer, person at work of present work knowing you have a account also laggy message from people coming to late or the services is out of the air. so get whatsapp who cares be happy with it.

I stay with BBM so far so good , o and I love it to see when people really read it [R]
    05-04-14 02:40 PM
    Glad you think so.

Z10 on Telus
    05-04-14 03:14 PM
    Let's see with whatsapp I cannot send 100 mb files via Dropbox no glympse no voice call or video calls no stickers unable to add anyone that doesn't want to share a phone number with me less secure . BBM IS WAY More superior to whatsapp in many ways not mention Bbm channels so any channels that have become part of my routine I use Bbm channels much more then Facebook feeds. Etc etc

Posted via CB10
    Hold on there big fella. Who said you could apply common sense to this thread.

On a less sarcastic note, stability and reliability has never been a particular strength of Whatsapp. Just search the CB threads. It seems to me that the OP is just projecting their anxieties in regards to Whatsapp. I use both and much prefer BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 03:18 PM
    Since the 1st day of BB10 release and people having issue with BBM on Z10, there were many issue and bugs

Some of them solved but still we have a lot, and the versions of BBM on BB10 is not that solid as it was on BBOS

-Still cannot insert emoticons while writing B.C.
    -Still cannot send B.C. to specific category from contacts
    - Display Picture issue still appear
    - Annoying reports for channel cannot be stop or control the user itself
    - Slow

I live in Middle East and people here love BlackBerry essentially due to BBM, and especially for Broadcasts

I'm sure many users return back to OS7 due horrible poor BBM we have

If Blackberry doesn't response to their users, who will?

Posted via CB10
    So... I should use something with questionable privacy practices and security (WhatsApp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and is owned by Facebook, over something that hasn't changed hands since it was created? Hm, that's a toughie. I mean, I must surely take one person's opinion as the way things are for everyone. I have yet to have it crash on my Z10 and S4, but I guess it must be fact because some guy is having issues with niche features.

In all seriousness:
    1) I think I used Emitocons with AIM in 2003
    2) I'm sending 2014 year old time to someone?... Or I'm blind copying them a message? The former sounds fun, but not possible yet, and the latter is something I've never thought to do...
    3) I can see pictures without issue...
    4) I'm confused? Are you on a Z10 or Android? On a Z10 I'm not sure as I haven't gotten this, not even on my S4
    5) I mean, you're right, when I send myself something on BBM from my TMobile Z10 to my Sprint S4, it is slow, because I mean, I have to put my other device down before I can read the link I sent myself. I mean, that takes a whole 2-3 seconds...
    05-04-14 06:03 PM
    What I do not like BBM is that it keeps running in the background whether you like it or not (I would want another choice)
    05-04-14 09:39 PM
    HA? you kidding me? we never have any problem with BBM with OS10..

Since the 1st day of BB10 release and people having issue with BBM on Z10, there were many issue and bugs

Some of them solved but still we have a lot, and the versions of BBM on BB10 is not that solid as it was on BBOS.

- Slow

I live in Middle East and people here love BlackBerry essentially due to BBM, and especially for Broadcasts

Posted via CB10
    05-04-14 10:55 PM
    WhatsApp over BBM? Somebody is obviously on crank.
    05-04-14 11:46 PM
    Let's see with whatsapp I cannot send 100 mb files via Dropbox no glympse no voice call or video calls no stickers unable to add anyone that doesn't want to share a phone number with me less secure . BBM IS WAY More superior to whatsapp in many ways not mention Bbm channels so any channels that have become part of my routine I use Bbm channels much more then Facebook feeds. Etc etc
    BBM may have all those features, but it has a dwindling network, it's cross-platform support is lacklustre and apparently it even has issues on BlackBerry 10. I have no sympathies for such apps, BlackBerry has to try harder. I also don’t want BBM to be a social network with its channels, that’s not what I would use it for.

Whatsapp has refused to add voice or video calling or even fancies like stickers for the simple reason that they don’t want to be an all-purpose communications app. Their goal was to succeed and enhance SMS/MMS messaging only and they are undeniably very good at that, given the app's stability and incredible adoption rate. They are working on voice calling now to cater for the many requests, but at heart, they are more concerned about reliable and simple messaging. Even with Viber, Facebook Messenger, BBM and Snapchat, they still seem to be growing.

Whatsapp doesn’t have PIN requirements, because that is not how SMS/MMS messaging works either. You get someone’s number, you can send them a text. Whatsapp makes it then possible to send those people instant messages, so that you don’t have to send SMS messages. It’s supposed to be a replacement, not a social network of some sorts.

I also think these PIN requirements are notoriously overstated. Yes, it will prevent other people from contacting and chatting with you, but it will also prevent you from contacting them without knowing their PIN. What kind of relationship do you have with people that you want to send them instant messages, but not give them your phone number? I’m seriously curious.
    shupor likes this.
    05-05-14 06:32 AM
    This!!!!

It must be an Middle east / Non NA thing to BC messages, I give one waring and delete whoever does. Either message me or heck even use the multi person chat. Or create a Group.

Posted via CB10
    Ecactly!
    People who broadcast messaged are DROPPED immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!
    habs_fan, raw_dog and eldricho like this.
    05-05-14 06:41 AM
    Stable is a release software, clearly not a beta release. I wonder what "stable" are you referring to.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    05-05-14 06:53 AM
    You could always download the BBM for Android app but then your phone might explode and turn into a wormwhole
    I tried that just for the heck of it but it crashed on opening
    05-05-14 08:58 AM
    I think the OP is right and we need a lot of criticism, constructive definitely, from all of us, if BBM wants its once held dominance back!
    Constructive criticism has no place on a fan site.

I "think" BlackBerry is not as out of touch as they once were, and most likely are aware of the issue and are trying to fix the ones they have control over. BBM is a very complicated application now, and it is going in many different directions. But you can always drop then a letter - or get John Chen's email address and let him know personally.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-05-14 09:26 AM

Some of them solved but still we have a lot, and the versions of BBM on BB10 is not that solid as it was on BBOS

- Slow

Posted via CB10

yes, because "mossa210" said so.
    05-05-14 09:35 AM
    BBM Cross platform is gradually improving, so what's the issue here. As long as BlackBerry does not fall asleep at the switch, sooner or later most of the issues will be taken care of. Some people will prefer WhatsApp and some will prefer BBM, no matter what.
    05-05-14 10:42 AM
    BBM is fantastic on BB10 compared to whatsapp...The only problem is very few people use it compared to whatsapp...BBM is like Porches and Whatsapp is like Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic

Posted via CB10
    Very nice comparison!
    05-05-14 11:50 AM
    Me personally have not had issues with bbm what so ever! But then again I'm in the US.
    05-05-14 11:52 AM

I also think these PIN requirements are notoriously overstated. Yes, it will prevent other people from contacting and chatting with you, but it will also prevent you from contacting them without knowing their PIN. What kind of relationship do you have with people that you want to send them instant messages, but not give them your phone number? I�m seriously curious.
    Okay I'll bite. I play team sports. So every year we all input each other's contact info into each other's phones. Season after season. I accumulate a lot of numbers of people I knew for maybe two months of my life and never will see again, they also have my number in their contact files. I also acquire casual acquaintances who are not my best friends, but who I don't want to tick off either.

Now not everyone does this, this might be specific to women, but every bloody time one of them decides to sell Partylite or Pampered Chef or some other kind of overpriced garbage requiring a party, a mass text message, group message, Facebook message goes out. Now, with Whatsapp, it's very obvious I have read and ignored the invite. This kind of messaging service requires an excuse. An ignored text message is more easily forgotten.

So the answer to your question is that BBM with its PIN numbers are for those people who I am close to or that I want to know that I have received their message. Not every person I encounter in a lifetime is worthy of that kind of attention.

On my BBM list are my family, my closest friends and my coworkers. That's it. My trusted circle.

Posted via CB10
    Jonesy1966 and rthonpm like this.
    05-05-14 11:57 AM
    BBM is much better but it was much better when stickers were not introduced and chat copy functionality was different. After that copy function changed, BBM transitions are laggy...

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 12:04 PM
    For me it comes down to Whatsapp up-loading my contact list to their servers and exposing my phone number to the world.

I have no desire to do that.
    05-05-14 12:18 PM
    For me BBM has been the most stable thing about BB10, I've had absolutely no issue with it whether in individual or group, Voice, Video or Text. I've never checked the stickers out as they're of no interest to me but even after they were introduced BBM kept plodding away as it always did with no detrimental affect of its performance.

*Shrugs*

EDIT:

I should add that I've never tried WhatsApp for the simple reason that I value my privacy and the privacy of everyone on my contact list. Red flags are immediately raised in my head when an app demands information and after all I've read recently about WhatsApp and it's rather (deliberately?) porous security and privacy settings I doubt there's an argument in the world that could possibly convince me to switch to it. Prove to me it's at least as secure as BBM and I might think about giving it a go.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 05-05-14 at 01:10 PM.
    05-05-14 12:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    can share youtube videos from the app to groups on whatsapp, can send multiple emoticons/smileys at once without shifting back to keyboard on whatsapp, can send multiple images at once on whatsapp, can do NONE of these on bbm.
    Also one cannot enter a new line of text on bbm for android, there's no option.
    Facebook messenger stickers are superior to bbm stickers imo, a lot of good ones are actually free
    05-05-14 04:40 PM
    For me it comes down to Whatsapp up-loading my contact list to their servers and exposing my phone number to the world.

I have no desire to do that.
    It's probably on their servers already. It just needs one of your contacts to use Whatsapp, you can't do anything about that.
    05-05-14 06:06 PM
    Okay I'll bite. I play team sports. So every year we all input each other's contact info into each other's phones. Season after season. I accumulate a lot of numbers of people I knew for maybe two months of my life and never will see again, they also have my number in their contact files. I also acquire casual acquaintances who are not my best friends, but who I don't want to tick off either.

Now not everyone does this, this might be specific to women, but every bloody time one of them decides to sell Partylite or Pampered Chef or some other kind of overpriced garbage requiring a party, a mass text message, group message, Facebook message goes out. Now, with Whatsapp, it's very obvious I have read and ignored the invite. This kind of messaging service requires an excuse. An ignored text message is more easily forgotten.

So the answer to your question is that BBM with its PIN numbers are for those people who I am close to or that I want to know that I have received their message. Not every person I encounter in a lifetime is worthy of that kind of attention.

On my BBM list are my family, my closest friends and my coworkers. That's it. My trusted circle.
    I'm sorry, but I don't get from your post what the added value of the PIN in particular is. You just seem to highlight other aspects of BBM that are not necessarily related to an anonymous PIN. Also, you freely share your phone number with lots of people, how does that protect your privacy then, when that's they key advantage of the PIN?
    05-05-14 06:11 PM
93 1234