Usually people tend to dig themselves further into trouble when they panic and in haste throw out another lie. Well I believe Apple has made a huge error of sorts......instead of releasing a well thought of statement to buy time to investigate, they first threw it out that it could have been multiple cloud sources and networks involved, while they take icloud security very serious! Well the problem I have with this initial defense was that the hacker specifically stated that he hacked into the icloud. Duh! Then they quickly changed their story and blamed it on the people and their reckless attitude towards passwords. Well hasn't that been the case since day one? Apple, you can't allow security to be left entirely up to the people! Duh! Now what really gets me is that instead of stating that the security breach was sophisticated etc, they hung the celebs out to dry.....like drip dry since they were nude......and they stated that it was a "Brute Force Attack"! Well anyone with half a brain.....no 1/8 of a brain should be able to see that this is a basic tactic and major security flaw for Apple. It really shows that Apple is struggling with the basics of security, let alone sophisticated ones. Cook should come clean. Stick to the consumer market, forget about the secure enterprise market, discuss great app experiences and don't talk security. If Apple continues down the road of security, then they are going to lose major credibility. You can't have all the apps, meet all the consumer needs and foolish wants and be totally secure. You can't have a transport that carries heavy loads on the race track for the Indy 500. I give Chen total points for this. He knows BlackBerry is security from the ground up with a bit of consumer flavor. It's time Cook realizes Apple is a consumer device company with a small enterprise flavor....If Apple suffers a major enterprise breach, then the Apple consumer will finally start to face the real reality. Apple isn't everything in life and it definitely isn't perfect.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 11:17 AM
    Well said ^^^^^^^

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 11:25 AM
    Usually people tend to dig themselves further into trouble when they panic and in haste throw out another lie. Well I believe Apple has made a huge error of sorts......instead of releasing a well thought of statement to buy time to investigate, they first threw it out that it could have been multiple cloud sources and networks involved, while they take icloud security very serious! Well the problem I have with this initial defense was that the hacker specifically stated that he hacked into the icloud. Duh! Then they quickly changed their story and blamed it on the people and their reckless attitude towards passwords. Well hasn't that been the case since day one? Apple, you can't allow security to be left entirely up to the people! Duh! Now what really gets me is that instead of stating that the security breach was sophisticated etc, they hung the celebs out to dry.....like drip dry since they were nude......and they stated that it was a "Brute Force Attack"! Well anyone with half a brain.....no 1/8 of a brain should be able to see that this is a basic tactic and major security flaw for Apple. It really shows that Apple is struggling with the basics of security, let alone sophisticated ones. Cook should come clean. Stick to the consumer market, forget about the secure enterprise market, discuss great app experiences and don't talk security. If Apple continues down the road of security, then they are going to lose major credibility. You can't have all the apps, meet all the consumer needs and foolish wants and be totally secure. You can't have a transport that carries heavy loads on the race track for the Indy 500. I give Chen total points for this. He knows BlackBerry is security from the ground up with a bit of consumer flavor. It's time Cook realizes Apple is a consumer device company with a small enterprise flavor....If Apple suffers a major enterprise breach, then the Apple consumer will finally start to face the real reality. Apple isn't everything in life and it definitely isn't perfect.

Posted via CB10
    If you look at the 4chan quote they only used a 100word dictionary to break passwords

Do you know how limited that would be ?
    If the password is password then a brute force attempt would get it in seconds

But if it was 1234567 it will take seconds also

No matter how strong the security is if your password is weak like password you will be broken even on a bbry

Only email services enforce medium to strong passwords with letters caps and numbers
    Brute force is taking an known email from social media and trying 're password a few times with a dictionary it's guessing a password with a script
    It's not attacking a server
    If the person's password is common which ironically is the most common practice is to use simple passwords
    Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-05-14 11:27 AM
    Seems two way auth is not used on the whole thing, allowing for all sorts of security breaches.

They also stated they will make the system more secure.

Now we wait and see if they can deliver and how the other players will react. Will BlackBerry finally go for "BlackBerry Cloud"? Will BlackPhone eat up Apple's marketshare? Can Google make Samsung's Knox less than a paper wall with a brick motiff?

Stay tuned... to the Phone Wars!
    Carjackd, potatoguy and ronfc like this.
    09-05-14 11:28 AM
    If you look at the 4chan quote they only used a 100word dictionary to break passwords

Do you know how limited that would be ?
    If the password is password then a brute force attempt would get it in seconds

But if it was 1234567 it will take seconds also

No matter how strong the security is if your password is weak like password you will be broken even on a bbry

Only email services enforce medium to strong passwords with letters caps and numbers
    Brute force is taking an known email from social media and trying 're password a few times with a dictionary it's guessing a password with a script
    It's not attacking a server
    If the person's password is common which ironically is the most common practice is to use simple passwords
    Sometimes Phi one should not defend Apple. I know you hold them dear to your heart as per all your replies. However there are times when one should just stand back. Apple didn't even have a simple attempt count in place. Phi.....your own words help enforce how simple this attack was. All the more reason why Apple has Apple Sauce all over their face.

Posted via CB10
    lift, theRock1975, deezy87 and 2 others like this.
    09-05-14 11:46 AM
    Sorry but this was not a hack but a scam.
    A blackberry cloud would have suffered the same way.
    Stop slagging off apple for letting users use username and passwords when BlackBerry does the same thing with bbid.
    You can't compare BlackBerry's security to Apple over the iCloud issue when BlackBerry can't offer the same service.
    You may as well say BlackBerry's are less likely to be stolen because noone owns them therefore blackberry are best at preventing phone thefts. Nonsense.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    09-05-14 12:06 PM
    Sorry but this was not a hack but a scam.
    A blackberry cloud would have suffered the same way.
    Stop slagging off apple for letting users use username and passwords when BlackBerry does the same thing with bbid.
    You can't compare BlackBerry's security to Apple over the iCloud issue when BlackBerry can't offer the same service.
    You may as well say BlackBerry's are less likely to be stolen because noone owns them therefore blackberry are best at preventing phone thefts. Nonsense.

BlackBerry doesn't offer its own cloud solution, because they are not safe and never will be. It could if it wanted to....like really you think a cloud is that complicated? Apple uses the icloud to tie it's offerings together. The iterations had to be many if the username along with password had to be guessed at simultaneously. Or did you even take stats? BBID has a limit of 10 tries....Apple didn't. What about the people who deleted files, but they were never deleted from the cloud? Is this just something Apple users should just accept? Perhaps it's you who should stop blindly defending Apple and look at the situation with an open mind. Apple should have owned up to their error in security and not hung their users out to dry, which is exactly what they did.

Posted via CB10
    lift, sk8er_tor, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    09-05-14 12:16 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't offer its own cloud solution, because they are not safe and never will be. It could if it wanted to....like really you think a cloud is that complicated? Apple uses the icloud to tie it's offerings together. The iterations had to be many if the username along with password had to be guessed at simultaneously. Or did you even take stats? BBID has a limit of 10 tries....Apple didn't. What about the people who deleted files, but they were never deleted from the cloud? Is this just something Apple users should just accept? Perhaps it's you who should stop blindly defending Apple and look at the situation with an open mind. Apple should have owned up to their error in security and not hung their users out to dry, which is exactly what they did.

Posted via CB10
    So the issue has nothing to do with BlackBerry's security. So what purpose does it serve here? If someone scams my bbid user details them what good is the 10 tries? What is this even to do with BlackBerry?
    Apple cocked up yes? I'm not blindly defending them, I spend most of my time trying to convince people to drop apple. But they cocked up on a service that blackberry, as you say, does not provide. So blackberry is not the solution to most of the people who suffered here.

ReneV likes this.
    09-05-14 12:22 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't offer its own cloud solution, because they are not safe and never will be.
    How do you propose BBRY become a leader in the Internet of Things without something cloud-like?

It could if it wanted to....like really you think a cloud is that complicated?
    Uh-huh. I suspect rather more so than you imagine.

Apple uses the icloud to tie it's offerings together. The iterations had to be many if the username along with password had to be guessed at simultaneously. Or did you even take stats? BBID has a limit of 10 tries....Apple didn't. What about the people who deleted files, but they were never deleted from the cloud? Is this just something Apple users should just accept? Perhaps it's you who should stop blindly defending Apple and look at the situation with an open mind.
    RIght.

Apple should have owned up to their error in security and not hung their users out to dry, which is exactly what they did.
    Posted via CB10
    They posted an official statement while figuring out next steps rather than blurting out something premature (unlike BBRY CEOs and media and posters on Crackberry!). Now Tim Cook has stepped up to commit Apple to corrective and preventive action. Or did you miss that?

Apple screwed up with their implementation. They have been struggling with getting the cloud right for years - don't know why they aren't getting it as well as they should. And yes, they better get it right soon given that Google and MS have pretty good implementations. Crowing about it as a BlackBerry win is ridiculous though. If anything, Google and MS are the winners.
    m1a1mg and Berry_Pink like this.
    09-05-14 12:41 PM
    Actually I never crowed about it as a BlackBerry win at all. Where did I state such words? You think in life that one OS can rule the world? That Apple can produce a system that will meet the needs of everyone? I don't think so. I stated that if Apple tries to be the goto in security, while maintaining a satisfied consumer based company, then they run a high risk of suffering a major security breach that will hurt them and the people's perception of them. Apple should stick to the consumer market with a reasonable and limited crossover and BlackBerry should do the same. BlackBerry cannot offer a full blown consumer environment and deliver on high security standards at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-05-14 01:51 PM
    People really take this stuff way too seriously. Spending time thinking how to "hurt" Apple or other OS's because we don't use them. I have more important things to do

Sent from my N5
    mikeo007, TGR1, m1a1mg and 2 others like this.
    09-05-14 01:56 PM
    People really take this stuff way too seriously. Spending time thinking how to "hurt" Apple or other OS's because we don't use them. I have more important things to do

Sent from my N5
    If you have more important things to do, then why take your time to comment on this?

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 02:06 PM

Sent from my N5
    "Sent from my N5". Well I care. I've used all three platforms. So I care. And way too seriously? Security is serious business.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-05-14 03:10 PM
    Sometimes Phi one should not defend Apple. I know you hold them dear to your heart as per all your replies. However there are times when one should just stand back. Apple didn't even have a simple attempt count in place. Phi.....your own words help enforce how simple this attack was. All the more reason why Apple has Apple Sauce all over their face.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah not much good things about BlackBerry I see from him. I don't think he cares much for security and privacy. Fortunately, some of us do. :P

Posted via CB10
    lift and bungaboy like this.
    09-05-14 04:22 PM
    Yeah not much good things about BlackBerry I see from him. I don't think he cares much for security and privacy. Fortunately, some of us do. :P

Posted via CB10
    Security and privacy that's rich coming from a company that silencess hacks before they become public

Fyi bb10 was hacked and rooted on a z10 remotely without touching the phone at blackhat

A gag order was given to both researchers as it was mentioned by Justin case after a bbry blogger misquoted him and incured his wrath over Twitter and the following attack on him

At least Google and Apple are open about their leaks and security and work with the researchers

09-05-14 04:33 PM
    If you have more important things to do, then why take your time to comment on this?

Posted via CB10
    I prioritize.

Sent from my N5
    09-05-14 04:34 PM
    "Sent from my N5". Well I care. I've used all three platforms. So I care. And way too seriously? Security is serious business.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Thanks for proving my point. You judge what device I use while I don't judge what you use. That's what separates us.

Sent from my N5
    TGR1, mikeo007 and m1a1mg like this.
    09-05-14 04:37 PM
    Thanks for proving my point. You judge what device I use while I don't judge what you use. That's what separates us.

Sent from my N5

Seriously people bbry knows better then to gloat over human suffering especially when not all the facts are known look at what happened when bbry handed over customer info in Indonesia India and Saudi Arabia
    Did Google or Apple gloat no they did not ... Not even during the 2011 crash of bbry

It is disrespectful to take advantage of disasters and tragedies even to suggest it I expect better from humans

Last edited by Phi Nguyen; 09-05-14 at 05:10 PM.
    TgeekB and mikeo007 like this.
    09-05-14 04:43 PM
    It's the arrogance that separate us from them love to delight over peoples suffering

Seriously people bbry knows better then to gloat over human suffering especially when not all the facts are known look at what happened when bbry handed over customer info in Indonesia India and Saudi Arabia
    Did Google or Apple gloat no they did not ... Not even during the 2011 crash of bbry

It is disrespectful to take advantage of disasters and tragedies I expect better from humans

I give BlackBerry a lot of credit for not repeating what I hear on here. Chen is a professional.

Sent from my N5
    TGR1, mikeo007 and m1a1mg like this.
    09-05-14 04:45 PM
    I give BlackBerry a lot of credit for not repeating what I hear on here. Chen is a professional.

Sent from my N5
    It's definitely prudent policy. One never knows when in the future a rash comment comes back to bite one in the hiney (<- hell if I know the real spelling)
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-05-14 05:07 PM
    Sent from my N5
    What happened to the Q10? This is not a personal attack, just a fact. The only people on the CrackBerry forums that don't give BlackBerry the credit they deserve, or they stick-up for the security and privacy problems with other platforms are the people that are not true BlackBerry users. Why do people come to a BlackBerry forum and defend other platforms when they could just go to the other forums and blend right in.
    09-05-14 05:12 PM
    Obviously you do not.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-05-14 05:13 PM
    What happened to the Q10? This is not a personal attack, just a fact. The only people on the CrackBerry forums that don't give BlackBerry the credit they deserve, or they stick-up for the security and privacy problems with other platforms are the people that are not true BlackBerry users. Why do people come to a BlackBerry forum and defend other platforms when they could just go to the other forums and blend right in.
    Still have my Q10 along with my Nexus 5 like I have for the last 6 months or so. Are people allowed to use more than 1 device platform like most of the mods do by the way, or is that against the forum rules also? Also not a personal attack, just asking.

Sent from my N5
    09-05-14 05:40 PM
    Obviously you do not.
    In between saving kittens, fighting crime, and searching for the meaning of life I find some time to post.

Sent from my N5
    m1a1mg, Yatezy, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    09-05-14 05:41 PM
    "Find My iPhone is part of a trio of services connected to iCloud, including Photo Stream and Apple's password manager, iCloud Keychain.
    A brute-force security attack is essentially a trial-and-error-way of breaking through security, and it usually only works if there is a weakness in the security of a system that allows an unlimited number (or a very high number) of login attempts.
    But apparently Find My iPhone did not have any such limits — until just now. Early Monday, HackApp reported that Apple had patched the vulnerability." Celebrity Photo Leak: Is Poor iCloud Security to Blame?

Have you ever tried a wrong password with BB ID or BB Protect? It will lock your account after a few attempts.
    To unlock your account, you will have to reset your password after answering a question.
    Apple security apparently allowed unlimited failed attempts!!!
    lift and bungaboy like this.
    09-05-14 05:42 PM
121 123 ...