Hey everyone...

I will give a bit of background info as it may help. I had a US T-Mobile 8900 Titanium Curve. I had the phone unlocked just before I moved over here (UK) to work until May. I was on the Orange pay as you go Blackberry service. I put my phone down while I was out and the phone walked off. This was my first Blackberry so I guess I didn’t realize how much it really meant to me till it was gone. I didn’t have any tracking software or have it locked by a password.

It’s been a few weeks now, I have a new 8900 and life has gone somewhat back to normal. About half my contacts will be gone for good. I filed a police report, gave Orange my imei #.

Here is the weird part...

A contact of mine on BBM had my old PIN show up with a new name. His info showed as a 26 y/o male from England with the name DP8. When I gave my info to Orange as stolen, is it only blocked from them? or all carriers? Don’t all imei #'s have to be registered in order to be on a Blackberry service?

Thanks
    02-09-10 04:51 PM
    I think the best you can do is contact RIM and get the PIN deactivated permanently. No carriers actually blacklist IMEI numbers, I've talked to them before and they state they just don't do it.

Not to mention there is no world blacklist, so stealing a phone in your country and having it blacklisted there just means someone will sell it overseas where it isn't blacklisted.
    02-09-10 05:09 PM
    ^^^ Yep, call RIM and explain to them the issue at hand. Explain that you called your carrier, but apparently your carrier didn't blacklist the device and notify RIM to blacklist the PIN. Once the PIN and IMEI is blacklisted with them, the phone part will continue to work, but ALL data services won't anymore as those go directly through RIM.
    02-09-10 08:14 PM
    Is there anyway to track him? and get the phone back?

Doug
    02-09-10 08:40 PM
    I hope you have your wallet with you when you call RIM....

Costs about $49.99 to talk to them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-10 08:51 PM
    Is there anyway to track him? and get the phone back?

Doug
    Only if the Police are involved. They can investigate and seize suspect stolen property. After the legal proceedings have concluded, you can make application to the Crown for return of your property.

In practice, it will cost you far more then the replacement cost of a new phone and likley take several years.
    02-10-10 09:13 AM
    or you can simply google the **** out of your previous BB pin until you find enough relevant information on the culprit using it and go after him yourself
    for all you know he could be using crackberry website from right under your nose...after all it is the ideal place for blackberry users...
    Last edited by bushako; 02-10-10 at 10:31 AM.
    02-10-10 10:29 AM
    I've been forgetting my phone everywhere. In my car, in the coffee shop, at my friend's place and I always recover it because I'm using BerrySnooper.

BerrySnooper not only allows me to find my lost phone, but if somebody steals your phone and changes the sim, it'll alert me of it's location by sending me text messages and you can actually go catch the thief. Pretty impressive!
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but how much interest will the police have in a lost or stolen phone....until you have a confrontation with someone over it. Then they will turn up to charge you, not to get your phone back. Berry snooper has it's uses, but catching theives isn't one of them...
    04-02-10 03:51 AM
    I think the best you can do is contact RIM and get the PIN deactivated permanently. No carriers actually blacklist IMEI numbers, I've talked to them before and they state they just don't do it.

Not to mention there is no world blacklist, so stealing a phone in your country and having it blacklisted there just means someone will sell it overseas where it isn't blacklisted.
    Exactly what this guy said is 100% true.

Send him a PIN message and tell him you hope he enjoys your phone
    04-02-10 10:27 AM
    And you don't know for sure the person using it actually stole it and/or found it. He/she may have unknowingly purchased it from the person that actually had it first.
    04-02-10 10:32 AM
    Try to find out the twitter account of the guy, bbm him. Once done wait until he posts a picture or something where the location is shown (google maps) then you can go after your phone.
    04-02-10 10:57 AM
    Reread Reeds post and just let it go. You have a new phone so chalk it up as a
    lesson learned (Password and tracking / disabling software)
    04-02-10 12:25 PM
    Try to find out the twitter account of the guy, bbm him. Once done wait until he posts a picture or something where the location is shown (google maps) then you can go after your phone.
    Detective lnch High Private Eye here
    04-02-10 12:31 PM
    I don't put my Berry down @ work even. If I get up to go pee- Berry goes too! DTA~

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 01:00 PM
    Berry stays on my hip at all times
    04-02-10 01:12 PM
    add his pin (you old pin) pretend your a girl tell him you wanna meet up and then get your phone back
    04-02-10 01:20 PM
    Berry stays on my hip at all times
    Even sleeping?
    04-02-10 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD