Why is there no navigation apps with maps stored onboard like there is for all other mobile platforms.

I've heard people say that apps do not run from the sd card, but this is the case for andorid as well and copilot has a app where the maps are stored on the sd card and the application on the phone itself.

There has to be some other issue preventing this. I would love to hear from someone knowledgable about why this can't be done on the blackberry.

Thanks
    11-19-09 12:29 PM
    Have you ever heard of MGMaps

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...ata-147262/#15

This allows you to store picture files of maps that are overlayed onto your GPS position, so it can track you where you want to go, but it will not come up with a route to get you from A to B. This information needs to be retrieved from a 3rd party server that performs the calculation based on knowledge of which roads lead where.
    11-19-09 11:09 PM
    Have you ever heard of MGMaps

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...ata-147262/#15

This allows you to store picture files of maps that are overlayed onto your GPS position, so it can track you where you want to go, but it will not come up with a route to get you from A to B. This information needs to be retrieved from a 3rd party server that performs the calculation based on knowledge of which roads lead where.
    11-19-09 11:40 PM
    TrekBuddy is another app that lets you preload maps on an SD card. It and the program cited above are the only ones that I am aware of. As to why that hasn't been done by more vendors, I suspect it is because it is unnecessary when the maps can be downloaded in real time with a data connection. BlackBerry devices aren't really intended to replace stand-alone handheld GPS units. For one thing, BlackBerry devices are too fragile, too vulnerable to water damage, and don't run on AA batteries.
    11-19-09 11:43 PM
    I know these soulutions. I was asking about navigation apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 12:54 AM
    Apparently, at one time Garmin did offer the maps on SD card. I don't know much about that application but it appears to have been replaced by the current "download data" model. Probably because folks object to paying so much for map updates and/or the "theft" of maps made it a problem. With data as the source, the maps can be kept current (okay, 1 year behind reality more or less) and the user does not have to pay additional.

It would be so much faster to have them onboard and also make them useable when data is unavailable - but most urban folks are not outside of data range very often.

I would guess if the demand reasserts itself, the market may respond again. Obviously, the cards certainly have the storage capacity now - my tomtom stores it all (US, Canada and Western europe) in under 4gigs and it recalcs much faster than data goes back and forth over the airwaves.
    11-20-09 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD