Does it have a physical keyboard? If it does, then it might be interesting.

If not, there are plenty of sub $200 Androids that will do much more . Security features excluded. But if anyone's noticed so far, the general public doesn't really care.
    04-16-18 08:12 PM
    This is why Chen should keep his mouth shut. Now he has people thinking a 9900 is coming or BB10 will live or whatever. It was just some off the cuff comment. None of this is in the works or likely has even been mentioned or ever talked about in my opinion.
    04-16-18 08:17 PM
    A Q5 with ongoing browser maintenance, and I'm in. If I'm adding to the wish list, I'd like a basic maps program with GPS, similar to the BB10 maps program, but I'd rather do without GPS than have to worry about locking it down all the time the way we have to do in Android.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    This ^^

Posted via CB10
    04-16-18 08:21 PM
    Does it have a physical keyboard? If it does, then it might be interesting.

If not, there are plenty of sub $200 Androids that will do much more . Security features excluded. But if anyone's noticed so far, the general public doesn't really care.
    Everyone has noticed - and that would not be the point of this hypothetical device, it would really be for secure Enterprise/Government usage.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-18 08:22 PM
    This is why Chen should keep his mouth shut. Now he has people thinking a 9900 is coming or BB10 will live or whatever. It was just some off the cuff comment. None of this is in the works or likely has even been mentioned or ever talked about in my opinion.
    It's not his fault he's being misquoted or that people are adding their own wants, he was clearly making up a dream device on the spot and said exactly that.

https://www.recode.net/2018/4/16/172...decode-podcast
    04-16-18 08:28 PM
    Well, to be fair it's posted here as a news article. That tends to make people here believe there is at least some truth to it. And besides, we see this kind of thing all the time...someone like Chen makes a comment that seems 'off the cuff', but it's really his way of leaking inside information discretely...so he can gloat about what a smart prediction he made a few months from now, when it goes public. Lol.
    04-16-18 08:47 PM
    Well, to be fair it's posted here as a news article. That tends to make people here believe there is at least some truth to it. And besides, we see this kind of thing all the time...someone like Chen makes a comment that seems 'off the cuff', but it's really his way of leaking inside information discretely...so he can gloat about what a smart prediction he made a few months from now, when it goes public. Lol.
    Like what has he said in the past off the cuff and was his way of "leaking" ? And sure if that's what happening I will be the first to admit I was wrong. But I highly doubt we will see such a device. Someone would have to be nut to take that risk on for such a small niche...much smaller then the KEYone is after even.
    04-16-18 08:50 PM
    Yeah, great idea. It worked so well when Chen re-released the Bold 9900...

Chen is good at a lot of things, but hardware isn't one of them. He needs to stick to software and let people that know what they are doing make the devices because he is completely clueless about designing and naming devices.
    04-17-18 07:33 AM
    After paying royalties to BlackBerry, a new 9900 running BB10 seems very unlikely at a reasonable price , less than $200 seems way too low.

I recall Chen saying that Enterprise leaders told him that they wanted a Q10 with a tool belt. Did Enterprise buy a tool belt clad Classic?

Is he trying to undercut his own drive to sell BlackBerry Secure or for TCL’s products?

Something is wrong in Waterloo.
    04-17-18 08:59 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is still an asset.
    BB10 was always a liability.
    DrBoomBotz and cribble2k like this.
    04-17-18 09:35 AM
    BB10 was always a liability.
    A billion dollar liability.
    04-17-18 10:39 AM

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/16/b...ohn-chen-bold/

I think Chen is referring to a 9900 style device running Android.
    If this would be the only option (because our beloved BB10 seems to be the past tense) , I would also like such android phone rather than 6" phablet to carry all the time with me.

All that is required for me is the physical keyboard, possible not from bold phones but like Q5, curved keyboard.

(•_•)‎
    04-17-18 11:26 AM
    A 9900 with BB10 I would buy without hesitation.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-17-18 12:02 PM
    There was another article about this on MobileSyrup also:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/16/b...ohn-chen-bold/

I think Chen is referring to a 9900 style device running Android.
    Android without access to the Play Store or apps? I don't think that's possible. The whole point of the phone he's suggesting is to eliminate all the risks of third party apps for highly regulated environments.

Personally, I think this is the market BlackBerry should have targeted from the start with BB10 instead of trying to break into the Android / iOS BYOD duopoly with consumers.
    KAM1138 likes this.
    04-17-18 01:12 PM
    Android without access to the Play Store or apps? I don't think that's possible. The whole point of the phone he's suggesting is to eliminate all the risks of third party apps for highly regulated environments.

Personally, I think this is the market BlackBerry should have targeted from the start with BB10 instead of trying to break into the Android / iOS BYOD duopoly with consumers.
    And it's far too late for that now, as Enterprise is deeply entrenched with corporate collaboration, productivity, and specialized apps.
    sethr likes this.
    04-17-18 01:24 PM
    And it's far too late for that now, as Enterprise is deeply entrenched with corporate collaboration, productivity, and specialized apps.
    So, you don't think there is a market for the phone he's describing for highly regulated industries? I'm not sure I agree. I know organizations who issue Android phones with no app installs permitted. They would love a phone with full email capabilities and no apps for $150-200.
    04-17-18 01:32 PM
    So, you don't think there is a market for the phone he's describing for highly regulated industries? I'm not sure I agree. I know organizations who issue Android phones with no app installs permitted. They would love a phone with full email capabilities and no apps for $150-200.
    Honestly, I can't think of a single corporation that exclusively limits itself to email and SMS.
    skrble likes this.
    04-17-18 01:41 PM
    I am in what's considered highly regulated industry (licensed retirement planning AKA wealth management) and our industry had always been highly secure with archaic rules. Because of slow evolution and high capital investment, even we now rely on apps downloaded via Android or IOS. We even are subject to some HIPAA regs for certain accounts. The apps meet the security requirements but typically messaging is still via secure email. Archiving is also big requirement and this again must be done with all client dialog and communications regardless of the medium.

I'm not sure what solution the Chen solution would offer but it sounds like my client facing capabilities would go backwards.
    04-17-18 02:07 PM
    Honestly, I can't think of a single corporation that exclusively limits itself to email and SMS.
    Well, what about Government? Also--while Chen stated E-mail and SMS, that's not a hard line (he mentioned a browser I think). Other Features could be included, which could encompass the things that most users use the majority of the time.
    04-17-18 03:15 PM
    Well, what about Government? Also--while Chen stated E-mail and SMS, that's not a hard line (he mentioned a browser I think). Other Features could be included, which could encompass the things that most users use the majority of the time.
    You either have a full app-enabled OS, or you don't. There is no in between.

Apps are either coded Android or iOS.

We already know full well that developers aren't interested in a 3rd platform.

Building an old-fashioned email/phone/sms platform is one thing.

The only solution I can possibly see is some type of dumb-viewer device for web-apps behind an EMM. But that would still require extensive app suite development.
    04-17-18 03:23 PM

Well, folks are not shy about 20/20 Hindsight, so what you state is definitely true. They tried to Follow Android/iOS and failed miserably. So, in retrospect, it is obvious that a DIFFERENT path might have been a better choice.

Conventional Wisdom dictates that nothing other than Android/iOS model is acceptable, or possible. But "Conventional Wisdom" is often just someone else's marketing.

I will agree that at THIS point, things are really entrenched, and changing "conventional wisdom" is very difficult, even if in the end, the minority is dictating the "needs" for the "herd" as it will that goes along with whatever is there.

At one point the vast majority of the people didn't have apps, didn't need them, and doesn't use them. Very few apps are "must haves" for the majority of people (but those are REALLY musts).

What percentage of the entire mobile user base is Enterprise? I'd guess a minority, with the bulk being consumers who don't have specific job-based requirements for apps.

I'm sure there are professionals who DO have these requirements, but as people are fond of asking--what are the actual numbers (vs those that don't). Perhaps whatever that number is, DOES drive development of Android and iOS, but that doesn't mean it MUST drive everyone and every device.
    04-17-18 03:26 PM
    You either have a full app-enabled OS, or you don't. There is no in between.

Apps are either coded Android or iOS.

We already know full well that developers aren't interested in a 3rd platform.

Building an old-fashioned email/phone/sms platform is one thing.
    Is an E-mail program or a Browser an App or not?

I'm not talking about Third Party developers at all.

The Bold 9900 was not E-mail/Phone/SMS exclusively, nor is BB10 if you could magically obliterate Android apps (or even Blackberry world access). FIRST party functions are what I'm talking about. It's software for the Mobile Device.

Is that "app enabled" or not?
    04-17-18 03:33 PM
    Well, folks are not shy about 20/20 Hindsight, so what you state is definitely true. They tried to Follow Android/iOS and failed miserably. So, in retrospect, it is obvious that a DIFFERENT path might have been a better choice.

Conventional Wisdom dictates that nothing other than Android/iOS model is acceptable, or possible. But "Conventional Wisdom" is often just someone else's marketing.

I will agree that at THIS point, things are really entrenched, and changing "conventional wisdom" is very difficult, even if in the end, the minority is dictating the "needs" for the "herd" as it will that goes along with whatever is there.

At one point the vast majority of the people didn't have apps, didn't need them, and doesn't use them. Very few apps are "must haves" for the majority of people (but those are REALLY musts).

What percentage of the entire mobile user base is Enterprise? I'd guess a minority, with the bulk being consumers who don't have specific job-based requirements for apps.

I'm sure there are professionals who DO have these requirements, but as people are fond of asking--what are the actual numbers (vs those that don't). Perhaps whatever that number is, DOES drive development of Android and iOS, but that doesn't mean it MUST drive everyone and every device.
    You don't need herd buy-in, you need ungodly amounts of money.
    Let's see...a small portrait-style QWERTY phone that runs updated Android...isn't Verizon coming out with one? By TCL? And Palm? Why wait for Blackberry? Just a guess, of course. It could turn out to be just a Note-like cheap Android with stylus, but the other option is some Treo / Centro update, which could bear watching to see how the market responds (or not).

Is that "app enabled" or not?
    It sure is.

BB10 had 243 apps as part of its "out-of-the-box" OS. Any and all of those would almost need to be redesigned from scratch.
    04-17-18 03:35 PM
141 1234 ...