There are no BBOS or BB10 developers left. Ramp up would be insanely expensive.

Better to build something around Android Go and lock it down by stripping it clean and using UEM. Nor would you need any custom drivers to use modern/current hardware.
    Yes, A taller 9900 running Go makes sense to me. Maybe have two versions. A premium Oreo device and a cheaper Go version that would be for locking down and some consumers.

Or how about a small bezel bigger battery version on the Z10 running Go? (a facsimile).
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 04-22-18 at 04:03 PM.
    04-22-18 03:31 PM
    "There are no BBOS or BB10 developers left"... they are still around... you just need to dig them out from soils near old BB plants (depend upon who is calling... ). The clock guy might want to come out to do another ;-) if reputable "leader" knock on the door with proper future plan (long term). = however, with BBOS way out of date and BB10 stuck with ART, I am not see its feasibility as existing format.
    04-22-18 09:16 PM
    There are no BBOS or BB10 developers left. Ramp up would be insanely expensive.

Better to build something around Android Go and lock it down by stripping it clean and using UEM. Nor would you need any custom drivers to use modern/current hardware.
    So long as administrators could block users from installing apps with their enterprise accounts (easy), prevent them from adding a personal Google account to access the app store (I assume that's possible.), and lock down the camera, location services, etc., that would fit the bill.

Android Go would be a great way to solve the driver issue. I just don't know if Google would allow an Android Go phone to be properly secured for applications where access to the camera, microphone, location services, etc. can never be granted to apps by the end user.

Since Android Go is intended as an entry level consumer offering, I just don't know if it's security model is MDM-friendly.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-22-18 10:33 PM
    Classic was the perfect successor to the bold series and was closest but better in performance than the bold 9900.Used it for 2 years before moving to keyone and now on priv but still misses the form factor of classic. Since I'm gonna drive commercial vehicles from a month now I need two phones and classic would be best to use as a secondary with priv. Sitting in my drawer but gonna light it up soon. It's stuck on an error while I was doing factory reset but I'll figure something out and start that beautiful piece of art again.
    04-23-18 01:04 PM
    Classic was the perfect successor to the bold series and was closest but better in performance than the bold 9900.Used it for 2 years before moving to keyone and now on priv but still misses the form factor of classic. Since I'm gonna drive commercial vehicles from a month now I need two phones and classic would be best to use as a secondary with priv. Sitting in my drawer but gonna light it up soon. It's stuck on an error while I was doing factory reset but I'll figure something out and start that beautiful piece of art again.
    Just curious why you moved from KEYone to Priv & Classic?
    04-23-18 02:27 PM
    I have two keyones(silver and black), first used the silver and then the black for 4 or 5 months but as the keyone's successor is coming, I thought priv would be a nice change since I like the keyone and I don't wanna get fed up by the form factor since I'm definitely buying the key2.

Currently my brother's using the black keyone as he broke his galaxy S8 I think it is and I'm gonna give the silver to my brother-in-law, and I used the classic before the keyone back in India before moving to the States. And why I bought PRIV because I wanted to try a different form factor like priv or passport but now bb10 is dead I went with the priv and I like it.
    04-23-18 02:37 PM
    Of course the resurrection of an indestructable stripped down smartphone (if that is the objective) that may give 5 yrs service (or hardware performance/obsoleted within 2 or 3) or so in the recently developed World, or even in NA/Euro/Aus etc, would likely depend on a monthly revenue stream for BlackBerry and maybe the Hardware maker, maybe even the telco (who is it worth to promote? Unless the end-user/business finds the device on their own).

So what would that revenue stream actually be for (worth it to the customer?)? Absolute privacy on a lower cost phone (relative to Android/Google services and app behaviour)? more reliable OS (BB10 like / staying off Android?) Enhanced Browser Guard? -watching whether someone (3rd party/sites visited) has put hooks into the browser to monitor etc, Software based Work/Life at the OS level (bb10 like), not necessarily two separate numbers, but a protected space in all apps for certain saved data (calendare,calls,text,browsing ....etc)?

Unless of course it's just is so much better than the semi-smart/no-touch screen phones in the market today, that it is a no-brainer for the consumer of a device in this space - which it could very well be.
    04-24-18 12:42 AM
    Relaunching the 3310 gave NOKIA incredible worldwide press coverage, which really worked in boosting sales of their actual real Android phones. The 3310 phone is a marketing gimik.

BlackBerry should launch a super cheap and old-school looking Bold/Curve style phone, just to get people to even notice the Keyone and Motion. Make it as kitsch and nostalgic as possible. Maybe based on the look of OS 5 or 6.
    04-24-18 03:03 AM
    Relaunching the 3310 gave NOKIA incredible worldwide press coverage, which really worked in boosting sales of their actual real Android phones. The 3310 phone is a marketing gimik.

BlackBerry should launch a super cheap and old-school looking Bold/Curve style phone, just to get people to even notice the Keyone and Motion. Make it as kitsch and nostalgic as possible. Maybe based on the look of OS 5 or 6.
    All BlackBerry PKB phones are nostalgic. I would just make a taller 9900 . The trackpad would be a home key finger scanner since it does not appear that Android supports a trackpad.
    DWonder likes this.
    04-24-18 09:32 AM
    All BlackBerry PKB phones are nostalgic. I would just make a taller 9900 . The trackpad would be a home key finger scanner since it does not appear that Android supports a trackpad.
    No! It should be the same form factor as the 9900! A taller 9900 was already done -- it was called the Classic, and it's newest brother the K1.

Failing that, go leafs go!!
    04-24-18 02:46 PM
    No! It should be the same form factor as the 9900! A taller 9900 was already done -- it was called the Classic, and it's newest brother the K1.

Failing that, go leafs go!!
    Your historical reference is incorrect. The Classic was wider than a 9900. Android will support a 4:3 screen . The same width as a 9900 but slightly taller would work. It is the narrower width and 9900 keyboard that allows one handed use. If they manage the battery location , the device could be very ergonomic. Think the size of a Z10.

Go Jets go.
    04-24-18 03:13 PM
    Your historical reference is incorrect. The Classic was wider than a 9900. Android will support a 4:3 screen . The same width as a 9900 but slightly taller would work. It is the narrower width and 9900 keyboard that allows one handed use. If they manage the battery location , the device could be very ergonomic. Think the size of a Z10.

Go Jets go.
    OK, *slightly* taller but not by a lot, I would reason with. But I think the dimensions of the 9900 are part of a secret success formula.

4.53 x 2.60 x 0.41
    5.87 x 2.85 x 0.37 (keyone)

They should just try to replicate that chassis 100%. With updated internals, and running Android (or a stripped down version like some are alluding to).

I would also bet that if they came out with such a device and actually used the "Bold" name, like BlackBerry Bold A1 for example, it would make a huge wave.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 04-24-18 at 04:17 PM.
    DWonder likes this.
    04-24-18 04:06 PM
    To keep on topic. I'm not a big fan of smaller devices.

On that note, it's amazing that a little old team from Tampa Bay are going for another run at the Cup. Let's go Lightning!!!!!!
    04-24-18 04:10 PM
    Your historical reference is incorrect. The Classic was wider than a 9900. Android will support a 4:3 screen.
    Android supports 4:3 display ratios, but phones are required to have portrait-oriented screens and apps are not required to support landscape screen orientation, though most do.

Still, you cannot be a Google Play licensee and make non-compliant phones, and a landscape screen is non-compliant with the current guidelines.
    04-24-18 08:10 PM
    I agree. That is why a hypothetical Android compliant 9900 would be taller than the old version but not necessarily wider.

Is there a demand? Maybe , not sure.
    04-24-18 08:20 PM
    I don't give a sleesh wut size the 9900 remake is...as long as it's new, runs a current OS and has a trackpad / toolbelt. Thanks
    04-24-18 09:23 PM
141 ... 456