04-16-18 06:52 AM
    A $150 feature-phone that does email, SMS, and basic browsing.

Hmmm, sounds like a Q5.
    04-16-18 07:02 AM
    when does chen become a phone expert? anything that can access database of SAP would be sufficient. when he can do demo like Jobs on iphone and Gate on window, I'll take his opinion seriously.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-16-18 07:29 AM

Hmmm, sounds like a Q5.
    Although the Bold had a much more compact design, the toolbelt and a much better keyboard.
    I would definitely buy the phone Chen describes.
    I still fire up my 9900 once in a while and it feels awesome in the hand.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    04-16-18 08:41 AM
    Could be a neat KaiOS or Sailfish 3 device but I'm not sure if either (including BB Android) can be used in regulated industries like BB10 is/was.
    04-16-18 10:18 AM
    Although the Bold had a much more compact design, the toolbelt and a much better keyboard.
    I would definitely buy the phone Chen describes.
    I still fire up my 9900 once in a while and it feels awesome in the hand.

Exactly. And at $150-$200, that is a steal. I can't remember how I felt about the curved keyboard. Cuz it's been so long. Had it on my 9000 and 9900. I would probably prefer the straight kb like the Q10 & Classic but this would NOT stop me from buying it, lol. Can't wait :-)
    sethr likes this.
    04-16-18 10:47 AM

Hmmm, sounds like a Q5.
    Are there enough unused Snapdragon S4s to restart production, though?
    04-16-18 10:58 AM
    I guess not. Otherwise they would have produced some more Classics

04-16-18 11:15 AM
    Exactly. And at $150-$200, that is a steal. I can't remember how I felt about the curved keyboard. Cuz it's been so long. Had it on my 9000 and 9900. I would probably prefer the straight kb like the Q10 & Classic but this would NOT stop me from buying it, lol. Can't wait :-)
    Actually I am neutral about the straight keyboard or the smiled one. Both work well for me.
    But I would want the trackpad to be big enough. The trackpad on the Classic is small and cumbersome. Annoying when that phone was all about that trackpad!

04-16-18 11:17 AM
    There are probably more leftover than the number of Q5s they ever sold. Which is about 9.
    StephanieMaks, Carjackd and sethr like this.
    04-16-18 11:22 AM
    aha, Now I know where chen got his insperational insight... https://www.pcmag.com/news/360447/sa...s-the-internet

to match the spec with kb for that price is difficult... you need additional 50.00 more - that bring up to 230ish. Without internet data plan is OK, without wifi... beam me up.
    04-16-18 11:55 AM
    A friend of mine commented a couple of years ago about our use of pagers in the hospital and the limitations they have. The one's we use only offer the ability to send a 5 digit message i.e. the extension number that you wish the recipient to call you back on. Through the grapevine i'm told that the pagers we use cost about £100 each. The sort of device Chen describes would be an ideal replacement but the initial cost of replacing all those pagers would be extortionate.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...al-cost-of-66m

---={////]--[ Dispensed on my BlackBerry Passport 
    04-16-18 12:51 PM

Hmmm, sounds like a Q5.
    Q5 is still my primary phone. I am enjoying using Q5 sooooo much 😃
    04-16-18 12:56 PM
    Actually I am neutral about the straight keyboard or the smiled one. Both work well for me.
    But I would want the trackpad to be big enough. The trackpad on the Classic is small and cumbersome. Annoying when that phone was all about that trackpad!

I personally much prefer the curved keyboard to the horizontal one. On the Passport the horizontal row is OK because of the size but I found typing on my old Bold feels less cramped than on the Classic, despite the size. The curved shape is far more ergonomically correct.

As a bonus, it allows more room for a bigger trackpad. Although, with the ability to change the sensitivity controls, I never really found this an issue on the Classic.
    AmritD likes this.
    04-16-18 01:26 PM

Yea, I never understood why they made the trackpad so much smaller on the Classic. The 9900 trackpad was heaven in the palm of my hands, lol.

I need to pull out my 9900 later and compare typing vs the Classic to see which I like more. I really don't remember there bein a much difference, lol. I might end up being neutral like u.
    AmritD likes this.
    04-16-18 02:30 PM
    when does chen become a phone expert? anything that can access database of SAP would be sufficient. when he can do demo like Jobs on iphone and Gate on window, I'll take his opinion seriously.
    Rather, with this Chen has served unofficial notice he still values his outdated IP, and intends to sue any remaining purveyors of low cost, non-BlackBerry PKB devices who fail to sign up to a licensing deal.
    jakie55 likes this.
    04-16-18 02:44 PM
    IP never outdated but expired. I am with Chen on this. to defend your IP is never just for financial, but a statement of a company that not allow anyone to walk over them. Remind me 1990s IBM suit of mom/pa SMT countierfit in their garage... their house, car never enough to pay for big suit lawyer fee, but a grand statement. Superior move on IBM part. IMHO. go after those fail to sign up to a licensing deal with vengeance please.
    BBeast likes this.
    04-16-18 03:57 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is still an asset. It really depends on what Chen wants to do with it. In my view what's most outdated is the ART. And his comments hint at an alternative to Android, despite BlackBerry's investment in that OS. Since Chen was apparently the one trotting out the Classic back in the day, he should at least devote resources to dusting off the BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK to encourage the development of HTML5 apps, and developing a new browser. I think both the enterprise an consumers are clamoring for a minimalist OS alternative to iOS and Android, even BlackBerry Android.
    BBeast likes this.
    04-16-18 04:08 PM

Hmmm, sounds like a Q5.
    A Q5 with ongoing browser maintenance, and I'm in. If I'm adding to the wish list, I'd like a basic maps program with GPS, similar to the BB10 maps program, but I'd rather do without GPS than have to worry about locking it down all the time the way we have to do in Android.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-16-18 04:16 PM
    Make it a 200 cad BlackBerry Classic running android GO
    04-16-18 05:21 PM
    9900 Bold has been a awesome device. Pricing @ USD 150 will attract lots of customers. I'm still having the device in my stock and had fired it up recently.
    TheCellCo likes this.
    04-16-18 05:28 PM
    Nokia is supposed to be working on an E71 reboot, kind of like they did with the 3310 and slider banana phone. The patents for that qwerty phone came out already like over 4 months ago and still nothing yet...
    04-16-18 05:33 PM
    IP never outdated but expired. I am with Chen on this. to defend your IP is never just for financial, but a statement of a company that not allow anyone to walk over them. Remind me 1990s IBM suit of mom/pa SMT countierfit in their garage... their house, car never enough to pay for big suit lawyer fee, but a grand statement. Superior move on IBM part. IMHO. go after those fail to sign up to a licensing deal with vengeance please.
    As much as I'd like to see this as a genuine effort on Chen's part to seek out new licensees (in good faith), encourage new BlackBerry device development, 'save BB10', bring back the Bold, etc. etc. there are just too many lawsuits going on at the moment for me to see that as a plausible, let alone realistic, possibility.
    04-16-18 06:25 PM
    that because BB pick a wrong fight - need to pick a good case to set an example (not to license as a fall back plan, but voice the case as IP stealing and get the Gov go after that company/person)... right after IBM haul the mom/pa in the court, almost over night similar shop cease to exist... Bad on lawyer's part if got so many law suits (not say BB old legal any good... using that as bench mark is silly). I understand currently Chen farm out of legal protection... silly move, possibly why so many lawsuits- lawyer paid by them... set an good example just dried out in come scheme. (that is why use your in house lawyer is much efficient... Apple is excellent with legal). IMHO.
    04-16-18 06:48 PM
    There was another article about this on MobileSyrup also:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/16/b...ohn-chen-bold/

I think Chen is referring to a 9900 style device running Android.
    04-16-18 07:03 PM
141 123 ...