There has been a lot of negativity and I will try and explain why none of it really worries me. Note, I am not the best at getting my words out properly, so bear with me:

1) BlackBerry subscriber base falling from 79 to 76 million in the last quarter and BlackBerry no longer releasing that data. To my understanding that was BIS and BES subscribers. To me that makes sense because with the new 10 phones, you don't need BIS, and BES wasn't that large chunk of their market anymore as they are pursuing personal phones now not just businesses. With at least one million people getting the Z10 in the first quarter and who knows how many in the second getting it and the Q10 it makes sense that this number would fall as BIS subscriptions would be forced to fall no?

*BTW thats my thing that I don't understand fully, the subscriber base does it refer to BIS and BES or does it refer to all currently active BlackBerry phones out there?

** What BlackBerry should be doing is clarifying exactly how many phones they have sold! This lack of communication is causing panic around them when if they put the hard numbers out they would be able to baseline things and in fact with good PR be able to spin those where they need them too! They should be focusing on the higher sales prices of the phones that make up for the loss in subscriber funds which was the plan all along!

2) Reducing output this morning. Yes to me this makes sense as it helps them reduce exposure. The Z10 isn't new anymore its been out since January, we are now in the middle of August. Its nearing EOL. Some may say that is an unbelievably short lifespan but really it isn't for what the phone is. It was a first generation model from a company that specialized in a completely different type of product. It could almost be said it was a prototype for their new platform. First generation models don't sell particularly well. Also better they reduce the production and not have phones building up(which I believe they are already) and focus on the next generation product which I think it what they are doing. BlackBerry as a company has been burned before by having too much inventory, I think this shows that they are learning before they decimate the remaining value of the product they clip supply. AKA inventory control, something they lacked before!

3) Opportunities and that group that was formed. If you have been following we all saw last week about that group formed to find opportunities for BBRY. All options on table. BBRY handled this extremely poorly but I don't think the message was all bad. While a sale option is a possibility its not the only option on the table. Several positives could come from this. Right now they are trying to build and ecosystem but to gain traction you need scale. To get scale the best way is to get partners in on what you are doing. There are several high quality manufacturers(No Huawei or ZTE nonsense) but Sony for example that has Japan's market or Toshiba who has no presence in North America but a strong Asian one. Get them in there co-develop the hardware or give them a guideline so that the apps will work. Done. No need for a sale, no need for either company to fold or lose its unique strengths.

All here is why I don't worry when I read these reports. Its possible to interpret all these vague reports in anyway and because of that I don't panic when the MSM focuses on the negatives. BlackBerry still has a decent balance sheet, they are building their AppWorld, and they are pushing along new models like the Z10, Q10, Q5 and upcoming Z30 and these will gain even more buyers. Plus its just a phone, I can get another one when I need too. :P
    laketrout73 likes this.
    08-20-13 01:26 PM
    Everyone forms their opinion for reasons that are important to then..

Personally, while i'm still a HUGE supporter of Blackberry.. I do think it's a little naive at this point to say they aren't in trouble at all, but I do still think they can turn it around if they do the things they need to do. Time will tell.
    08-21-13 10:36 AM
    There has been a lot of negativity and I will try and explain why none of it really worries me. Note, I am not the best at getting my words out properly, so bear with me:

1) BlackBerry subscriber base falling from 79 to 76 million in the last quarter and BlackBerry no longer releasing that data. To my understanding that was BIS and BES subscribers. To me that makes sense because with the new 10 phones, you don't need BIS, and BES wasn't that large chunk of their market anymore as they are pursuing personal phones now not just businesses. With at least one million people getting the Z10 in the first quarter and who knows how many in the second getting it and the Q10 it makes sense that this number would fall as BIS subscriptions would be forced to fall no?

*BTW thats my thing that I don't understand fully, the subscriber base does it refer to BIS and BES or does it refer to all currently active BlackBerry phones out there?

** What BlackBerry should be doing is clarifying exactly how many phones they have sold! This lack of communication is causing panic around them when if they put the hard numbers out they would be able to baseline things and in fact with good PR be able to spin those where they need them too! They should be focusing on the higher sales prices of the phones that make up for the loss in subscriber funds which was the plan all along!
    It's already been established that the subscriber base of 72 million (not 76), also includes BB10 devices.
    08-21-13 10:43 AM
    It's already been established that the subscriber base of 72 million (not 76), also includes BB10 devices.
    It doesn't matter because BlackBerry is not going to report that information anymore.
    08-21-13 10:47 AM
    Very good article.

What so many people are missing is that this is a completely new company with new products and service offerings. It takes time to gain traction, whether it's hardware sales or BES services especially for organizations that are using iOS or Android.

The financial post article that speculated that BlackBerry could be sold in parts like Nortel is just stupid. Nortel was bankrupt, lost billions, we're in debt and had a litany of accounting issues. The comparison is just ignorant on the part of the author.
    laketrout73 and BoldPreza like this.
    08-21-13 10:47 AM
    Who is saying they aren't in trouble at all?

My point was that while they have a lot going against them they are not in this horrible position and they can be salvaged. But they need to start taking advantage of certain things like the fact that they have access to over 70 million subscribers worldwide, communicate with them, entice them, get them excited again. They need to communicate properly with the media not leave open ended things out in the open to be exploited.
    08-21-13 03:36 PM
    Yo boldpreza I really enjoyed your article. I agree with everything you said,i to have trouble getting my thoughts out in proper words but you did a great job at doing it. Also nice display photo.... I own a RAM as well

Posted via CB10
    BoldPreza likes this.
    08-22-13 10:49 PM
    Lol Mopar or No car baby! Sadly I no longer have that Charger(2009 SXT), I moved on up to the 2012 300C!

Also thanks!
    08-22-13 11:10 PM
    Nice! The nicest lookin luxury sedan around... Mopar are the only vehicles I'll drive!

Sorry I'm off topic

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 11:28 PM
    If the Z10 is EOL, then why haven't we heard leaks or talks about a successor? The Z30 is meant to bend phablet of sorts, not the next Z10. I strongly doubt that they're planning to replace the Z10 until next year.

About a strong partner, the problem is that BBRY HAS been looking for a partner for over a year, but nobody wants to step up. Unfortunately, the most realistic prospect is somebody like ZTE or Huawei, and it would probably mean getting rid of the current phones and BB10.

I couldn't agree more with your last point, though. It IS just a phone. In the big scheme of things, it doesn't really matter much.
    08-22-13 11:47 PM
    Lol I learned my lesson the hard way! FYI, Hyundai is crap!
    08-22-13 11:48 PM
    If the Z10 is EOL, then why haven't we heard leaks or talks about a successor? The Z30 is meant to bend phablet of sorts, not the next Z10. I strongly doubt that they're planning to replace the Z10 until next year.

About a strong partner, the problem is that BBRY HAS been looking for a partner for over a year, but nobody wants to step up. Unfortunately, the most realistic prospect is somebody like ZTE or Huawei, and it would probably mean getting rid of the current phones and BB10.

I couldn't agree more with your last point, though. It IS just a phone. In the big scheme of things, it doesn't really matter much.
    Sorry I didn't mean to say EOL, just that its nearing that point as its now half way past the year and the Z30 is supposedly on track to launch before the end of this year. BlackBerry right now even if those phones are two different segments, wouldn't be able to support both models in terms of sales. The Z30 will be easily perceived as the replacement as its a Z-Series phone and its the touch phone and of course its 30 not 10. Consumers will automatically jump to that and Z10 sales will falter. Best not to stock up on supply as they will have to drive prices down shortly.
    08-22-13 11:53 PM