Just got some questions that I need answering please (I'm using the Torch 9810).

- What is Data Service? Does it need to be on the whole time to use the internet?
    - I turned Mobile Data off but kept Data Services on, is this the only way to guarantee that I'm only using WiFi not the mobile internet? It's not ideal because I can't make and receive calls/texts but..
    - Is there a way to use the App Store without using my 500meg? It says it's unable to connect or something along those lines when Mobile Network is turned off.
    - I'm on Orange and I purchased the Data Plan (500meg I think), is this okay because I'v seen something about BIS and BES (Not sure if it's the same in the UK?)

Thanks
    01-20-12 05:17 AM
    Data services include email and browsing. In the UK they need to be on to use the internet. Data services will work over both the data network and wi-fi although you will not be able to access the BIS over wi-fi. The latest version of App World works over wi-fi. Download it from mobile.blackberry.com.
    If you are on Orange you should be able to make calls and send/receive texts over wi-fi. The SIM Card needs to be enabled for this. Contact Orange for help.
    500MB is usually plenty for most BIS users. BES refers to BlackBerry Enterprise Server provisioning which is used mostly by large organisations.
    01-20-12 05:54 AM
    Just got some questions that I need answering please (I'm using the Torch 9810).

- What is Data Service? Does it need to be on the whole time to use the internet?
    - I turned Mobile Data off but kept Data Services on, is this the only way to guarantee that I'm only using WiFi not the mobile internet? It's not ideal because I can't make and receive calls/texts but..
    - Is there a way to use the App Store without using my 500meg? It says it's unable to connect or something along those lines when Mobile Network is turned off.
    - I'm on Orange and I purchased the Data Plan (500meg I think), is this okay because I'v seen something about BIS and BES (Not sure if it's the same in the UK?)

Thanks
    1) Data Service: It is Data Connection over mobile network. The reason it is there is that in case you are roaming internationally and don't want to get huge data roaming bills then you can select to switch of the data services completely. This is because a lot of Applications on BB use data in the background which might lead to high roaming bills.

2) Mobile Data: its not Mobile Data but Mobile Network. This is basically connection to your mobile network. Deselecting this would mean that you are off the mobile network and won't be able to call.
    Also if you are on Wifi and there is a small BB symbol next to the Wifi icon then by default the phone will use your Wireless connection for data. It will not go through the Mobile Network and will not use your monthly limit. So you can keep your Mobile Network on and make calls. Don't worry about it.

3)App Store only works through the Mobile Data. It does not work over Wifi. Check with your mobile service provider. Normally BIS plans have free data usage on Device and the data limits are for tethering mode.

4) Don't know much about Orange plans. Maybe someone else can guide you on that.
    01-20-12 06:11 AM
    To clear up any misunderstandings about App World in the UK. This announcement was made on December 14th 2011:-

App World 3.1 is live in the UK from today – Update includes

• Default Carrier Billing – For those carriers that have implemented carrier billing, this will be the default payment setting.
    • Request Gift – Request Apps, games, themes and ringtones and your BBM friends can now purchase these on your behalf.
    • Direct Wi-Fi - Stay connected with friends and enjoy full functionality of BlackBerry App World when in WiFi coverage

I can confirm that it works.
    01-20-12 06:25 AM

Thanks

get an IOS/ANDROID device and forget about BES/BIS !
    01-20-12 10:38 PM
    get an IOS/ANDROID device and forget about BES/BIS !
    how does this help the OP? please refrain from comments like that. if you think/feel that the OP should have an iPhone/Android then tell them how it can help them in this situation. if not then hush.
    kraski likes this.
    01-20-12 11:24 PM
    I had an android device (HTC Sensation) but it's pointless me having one as I don't use apps and I don't like playing that Angry Birds or whatever everyone's is obsessed with.
    01-21-12 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD