Hi, so I've been looking at bb's for a little while now and I have some questions I was hoping someone could answer. From what I've read you don't require a data plan to use wifi but what can't you do over the wifi without? Are you still charged for making UMA calls over the wifi?and what do they charge to use the gps I get lost easily . I'm currently on Fido but I was looking into getting an unlocked bb or changing carriers. and help would be appreciated
    07-14-08 06:20 AM
    Not all curves come with wifi, just the T-mobile 8320 and also that is the only one with UMA calling which costs an additionally $10 per month for it NOT to take away your minutes, but only t-mobile offers this feature. The t-mobile curve does not come with Gps but you can get an external gps receiver to use with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 06:55 AM
    I don't think it is worth having a berry without data plan. Welcome to CB

07-14-08 07:15 AM
    Not all curves come with wifi, just the T-mobile 8320 and also that is the only one with UMA calling which costs an additionally $10 per month for it NOT to take away your minutes, but only t-mobile offers this feature. The t-mobile curve does not come with Gps but you can get an external gps receiver to use with it.

Sorry, but this information is flawed in a number of ways First of all, he is speaking of all Berries, not only Curves. Any xx20 model device has WiFi ability. Secondly, other carriers offer the 8320 besides TMo USA. The OP is from Canada and is on Fido (I know you cannot tell because you are on WAP). Therefore, he has the ability to get a WiFi device on his carrier

Hi, so I've been looking at bb's for a little while now and I have some questions I was hoping someone could answer. From what I've read you don't require a data plan to use wifi but what can't you do over the wifi without? Are you still charged for making UMA calls over the wifi?and what do they charge to use the gps I get lost easily . I'm currently on Fido but I was looking into getting an unlocked bb or changing carriers. and help would be appreciated
    I have a WiFi enabled Curve and I can answer your questions. Without a data plan you can still scrape by, but many people argue that a data plan is necessary. The functionality of your Berry drops significantly without a data plan. There is a thread on CB about apps that you can use on WiFi only (will link below). You can browse the internet and IM with no data plan and there are also other apps that use WiFi only, but if you want the full functionality... get a data plan or at least email only!

UMA calling is billed as normal and counts like normal calls, unless you can purchase some sort of addon or package from your carrier to make UMA calls free. I know Rogers in Canada offers some sort of package like this (correct me if I am wrong!)

Good luck Berry buyin'

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/bla...se-wifi-29376/
    07-14-08 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD