• no

1 25.00%
  • kinda, similar situation

0 0%
  • not really, not on BES

1 25.00%
  • no, didn't know much about Outlook

0 0%
    I've seen various threads for the same topic, so i decided to post this on its own in hopes that when searching for "calendar" this will come up. Here was my situation: after being on BIS (using a 7100i) for a couple years with multiple email accounts, i recently switched to BES (now with 8330 - OS 4.5). with this new OS and now BES i ran into the following problem: i now had multiple calenders. I've only used one (my work) and when i switched to BES my work was now "Desktop" and it was the only one to have any entries... but there was another calendar named "Default" that carried the same appt's!!!

So, now that i have access to various calendars i wanted to finally seperate my personal appt's away from my work calendar. I use Outlook at work, so i isolated all my appt's into a CSV file so i could upload into my GMail account and would depend on GSync to keep it updated.

There was no easy way to do this, PLUS having to correct my double appt's on my device?!?! Yeah, i basically had to start from scratch. This is applicable to those on BES and want to separate their personal appt's from their work (Outlook 2003) appt's. This is what i did:

1. Export your Calendar data into Excel file. You then will want to cut all the personal appt's out into a another file to later import into your Google Calendar.

2. Delete/Remove all your email accounts from your device. I had 7, so i went online and removed them all... leaving the only "Desktop."

3. Delete all your appt's on your Device and Outlook. Outlook was easy, do a search or apply a filter and delete all your appt's. Now on the device was tricky, i was not going to go day by day and search randomly for the appt's AND i wanted to know how to remove the "Default" calender so i would only see one entry... i searched the forums and other sites and found nothing on this. So i emailed my company's IT dept and they told me to go to Calendar > Options > type 'rset' and this will wipe all appt's AND it removed the Default calendar acct!!! (Someone please correct me if this is not part of the rset command)

4. Add your Gmail account back, make it your default calendar (Options > Advanced Options > Default Services > Calendar CICAL change to your Gmail account.

5. Import your files into your GMail and Outlook (seperately). If you had reoccuring appt's you'll want to key those on manually in Outlook and GMail, otherwise they'll import as each appt individually.

6. Let the Desktop on your device update and ensure you have GSync working to update your Calender. Go into your calendar options to see what accounts are listed, you shuold only see Dekstop and your GMail (maybe Facebook if you downloaded v1.5)

7. After sometime, once you've verified your appt's are correctly setup and showing correctly on Device... you can now begin adding back your other email accounts.

I apologize for the long post, but i hope to be a one stop place to answer any questions and provide the steps for the average user to follow. I am not an expert, but an enthusist who's had some experience in Outlook and still learning how to use BES. I spent 2 weeks searching and confirming through various sites what to do and how to do it... and 1 week later i can tell you this works: i know see my Destop appt's in one color and my other appt's in another color!!! None are duplicated and hasn't had any effect on my work account. The hardest thing was getting my Outlook setup again, i had a lot of reocurring appt's so most of my time was spent setting those up again. It did help clean out some old stuff that wasn't really needed so i did benefit from this.

Hope this helps, please correct me in any of my statements, i'm no expert just an eager student trying to learn the most.
    04-30-09 11:24 PM

[COLOR="Purple"]3. Delete all your appt's on your Device and Outlook. Outlook was easy, do a search or apply a filter and delete all your appt's. Now on the device was tricky, i was not going to go day by day and search randomly for the appt's AND i wanted to know how to remove the "Default" calender so i would only see one entry... i searched the forums and other sites and found nothing on this. So i emailed my company's IT dept and they told me to go to Calendar > Options > type 'rset' and this will wipe all appt's AND it removed the Default calendar acct!!! (Someone please correct me if this is not part of the rset command)
    WOW - This helps SOOOO much!! (The typing "rset" I mean).

I have NEVER heard that before!! OUTSTANDING!!

Thanks so much for sharing, I've posted in like 5 threads because Facebook screwed my Calendar and I couldn't figure out how to move my appts from "device default" to a default calendar (under my email address).

Thanks again for sharing what you did, that's what makes this place great!!
    05-01-09 12:11 PM
    Great work! I'm just starting to use Outlook and into this problem yesterday. Good show!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 12:41 PM
    Ditto - rset is amazing. Thanks for the info.
    05-01-09 12:44 PM
    Wow. I think that did it. I'm on Sprint BIS. I sync with Outlook 2007. I have three email accounts on my BB and had that stupid Default account as well in my BB Calendars.

When I synced it wiped out all of my Outlook appointments. So I deleted all the CICAL's then synced and it restored the appointments but I lost all the category colors. When I reset my phone or pushed service books the process would repeat wiping out all of my appointments in Outlook.

I backed up the BB then did the rset above. It confirmed for all three accounts. I then did a custom calendar sync from Outlook to my BB. Unfortunately all appointments in the BB were pushed into the default CICAL (Options/Default Services). If there was a way to move BB appointments from one BB calendar to another (so things are properly color coded on the BB calendar)
    09-17-09 03:34 PM
    Now go into your sync settings in DM and change it to prompt before deletion for not only the calendar but everything. That will save you from having that little mistake a second time.
    09-17-09 05:11 PM
    Now go into your sync settings in DM and change it to prompt before deletion for not only the calendar but everything. That will save you from having that little mistake a second time.
    That makes sense. I just hate the extra step of confirming every deletion. If the lovely little device software just worked properly it wouldnt be an issue. I was so close to upgrading to a Tour but I'm glad I waited. We let them work the kinks out. Maybe by that time they'll be a wifi version.
    09-18-09 12:04 AM
    It prompts you for all of them at one time so it is not too bad. How often do you actually delete entries? I discovered I delete them a lot less than I thought I would.
    09-18-09 07:02 AM
    Aaaaaarrghh! Just sync'ed the BB wiped out all of my Outlook appointments. I'll repeat what I did above but instead I'll force/overwrite appts from the BB to Outlook. Im not ready to use the Google Calendar option yet. Cav, I've added the confirm deletion. My fear is that if this happens again. I'll have to hit ignore for 356 days of appointments! Hope there is an ignore all option.
    09-18-09 10:42 AM
    One thing I havent considered. In Outlook, I have three calendar catagories.

1. Blue - Personal
    2. Red - Business
    3. Orange - Real Estate

On my BB I have three email accounts
    1. Blue - Personal
    2. Red - Business
    3. Orange - Real Estate

In Outlook, all appointments are in the same calendar and color coded. On the BB they are all separate CICAL calendars tied to the three POP3 BIS email accounts I have installed (and service books for). Not sure if there is a better way to keep things straight.

In Outlook, I just found the "View in Overlay Mode". So if I created three calendars in Outlook, I'd be able to see all appts in Outlook at the same time. Is there a way to map and sync three calendars in Outlook to three corresponding BB CICAL's.

I'm open to suggestions. BTW-that stupid Default Calendar is back. Grrrrrr.
    Last edited by jnjewlz; 09-18-09 at 10:59 AM.
    09-18-09 10:52 AM
    There is a resync option. That will put the entries that are on one but not the other back onto both.
    09-18-09 11:43 AM
    Walked through the whole process (post #5) again. At the first sync it asked me if I wanted to delete my entire Outlook address book. (I had turned on the prompt - thanks Cav) I selected the resync option and the error didnt appear on subsequent syncs.

All calendars on my BB are empty except the one I've selected to be my default calendar. The BB calendar called "default calendar" is gone - thank God. I am still able to color my appts in Outlook by category. I have given up trying to sync multiple Outlook calendars to the corresponding BB calendar (CICAL) file.

I know some have had success with Google Sync but I've found it to be less than totally stable. The last I need is another possible point of failure in the mix.
    09-21-09 08:05 AM
    I'm on BIS and this is not working because when I click on "rset" it says "There are no OTA Enabled calendars to reset".

Any solutions for BIS? This Default thing in calendar is preventing synchronizing. No synchronizing is possible between the calendar in my Outlook and my BB. Just kill me...
    03-25-11 02:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD