I thought to post this as my experience with a warranty issue with a Bold 9700 (the model isn't important here) that I had a warranty issue with.

I had a problem less than a year into my BB 9700 I had purchased with WIND in Vancouver...I paid full price ($500) at the time, and so the phone was mine...not subsidized. I wasn't happy with the WIND coverage, and cancelled my account after 6 months...unlocked the phone for Fido...and used it there.

I then had a white screen problem 8 months later...turned out to be a hardware problem...not anything I caused.

WIND wouldn't help me because I wasn't a current customer. RIM couldn't help me because their warranty agreements are through the carriers, not with end users...at least in Canada, from what I was told by RIM.

Since I had paid with my VISA, and was aware of an obscure benefit regarding warranty coverages for electronics purchased with the VISA card, I filed a claim with them, since they both honor and double the manufacturer's warranty.

I had to fill out a short claim form and supply them with a copy of the original receipt and repair estimate, but they covered it, and it ended up costing me nothing.

Now....I'm not posting this to sell anyone a VISA.....BUT....check your credit card benefits and see if your card gives you insurance coverage for warranty claims on electronics you buy. I assume the other major credit card companies have similar benefits for certain cards.

It was a really positive experience for me, so I wanted to share it. That's all.

Cheers.
    04-16-12 03:22 AM
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. The original carrier, in this case Wind, should have been responsible for the repair. This is consumer law in the UK anyway.

Sent from my old faithful BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-16-12 03:38 AM
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. The original carrier, in this case Wind, should have been responsible for the repair. This is consumer law in the UK anyway.

Sent from my old faithful BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    I agree with you....I gave them my original receipt, and they just ignored me. I may have made more of a stink if I didn't have my VISA coverage.

At least I had options....that's why I posted this.
    04-16-12 03:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD