I was experiencing a lot of call drops in my tour when i am using gsm specially with 2g signals and i have found a solution which can make any cdma phone to work with gsm without the problem which says " Call Failed".

If anyone is interested I can guide you through the steps so that you can get rid of this problem.
    03-05-11 09:00 PM
    uh...why not just post it here for all to benefit?
    03-05-11 11:02 PM
    all right well these are these steps you should follow. Kind of a complicated process.
    Before we start it is a must to to have MSL code of your phone in order to re-program the radio. There are several threads explains as how to obtain your MSL code using WCDMA. You must follow the instructions and it is a must to have your MSL code and if you dont know how to do this process just PM me with your model and i will guide you. Even though you get MSL code using different methods for the tour, had to get it from some unlocking site (donno whether i am allowed to post other sites here). Some models have MSL code factory setted 000000 you can check whether it works on you by dialling ##000000 and if its accepted you are ready for this.

This method will remove EGSM radio and means you phone will only work on edge when you are using 2g. This will remove unnecessary network switching Edge to GSM and Vice versa which causes this signal dropping problem which says call failed. It took me around 6 months to find this method but after this no call drops and has a better battery life too.

Since you have you MSL code ready in order to continue it is necessary to have QPST 2.7 build 264 and it wont work in other QPST versions. Google it and you can find this download.

After installing QPST run your blackberry desktop manager and connect your phone.
    Then run QPST Configuration and the you should add the port whether it is COM 3 or 4 (mine it was COM4) where it will show your phone as connected as surf XXX
    if you get this step correct that means you have connected the phone to QPST.

Now run the service programming in QPST different program while running the QPST configuration.

It will show your phone and your ESN there and then click ok.

Then a winodw will come and you have to click the read from phone which in th ebotton and then it will ask for your MSL code and include that and it will fill up the boxes in the program with your IMEI and other info etc.

After that go to system and on the bottom you can see there are boxes Band preference or something i cant remember where there are a lot of thing to tick and make sure that it will show that everything is marked. The what you should do is untick theB9 which is there for EGSM. When you click this it will automatically untick all the others except any bc tab. Just tick all the others again and make sure B9 is not ticked.

Then under prefferd mode you should select automatic
    Prefred acquisition order as GSM, WCDMA
    Network selection mode automatic
    preferred service domail CS and PS

Then the next step is click write to your phone and it will write that to your phone and you phone will restart and ignore the error messages and when restarting unplug your phone.

Then swtich on your radio connection and select 2g and you are ready to go. NO CALL DROPS you should carefully follow all these steps and plugging you phone again to QPST will go back to factory setting so dont open your phone with QPST again. If there is any complication just let me know.
    Last edited by helawick; 03-06-11 at 12:02 AM.
    03-05-11 11:50 PM
    I just switch to "GSM/UMTS", leave it on 2G, and it works perfectly fine without doing all that crap
    03-06-11 12:26 AM
    well this for the people who face this problem. Specially for 9630.. i have seen 100's of threads asking fro a solution to call failed problem. If your works fine simply you shouldn't do this.
    03-06-11 12:31 AM
    Hey i followed all the steps as above but the call failed problem still remains even when the signal shows full along with EDGE. My internet services and BBM work perfectly fine, but while calling, call failed message occurs and when others call me during this period it shows no answer from my side. Moreover i get to place my call only after the sixth or seventh attempt!
    05-26-11 02:39 AM
    From what I can tell, you are removing the phone's capability yo switch to original gsm, which all edge phones use for voice. Edge does not support voice so the device ALWAYS drops down to original gsm, as edge does not support voice. Same reason why you can use days when making a call on a Cdma device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 03:14 AM
    all right well these are these steps you should follow. Kind of a complicated process.
    Before we start it is a must to to have MSL code of your phone in order to re-program the radio. There are several threads explains as how to obtain your MSL code using WCDMA. You must follow the instructions and it is a must to have your MSL code and if you dont know how to do this process just PM me with your model and i will guide you. Even though you get MSL code using different methods for the tour, had to get it from some unlocking site (donno whether i am allowed to post other sites here). Some models have MSL code factory setted 000000 you can check whether it works on you by dialling ##000000 and if its accepted you are ready for this.

This method will remove EGSM radio and means you phone will only work on edge when you are using 2g. This will remove unnecessary network switching Edge to GSM and Vice versa which causes this signal dropping problem which says call failed. It took me around 6 months to find this method but after this no call drops and has a better battery life too.

Since you have you MSL code ready in order to continue it is necessary to have QPST 2.7 build 264 and it wont work in other QPST versions. Google it and you can find this download.

After installing QPST run your blackberry desktop manager and connect your phone.
    Then run QPST Configuration and the you should add the port whether it is COM 3 or 4 (mine it was COM4) where it will show your phone as connected as surf XXX
    if you get this step correct that means you have connected the phone to QPST.

Now run the service programming in QPST different program while running the QPST configuration.

It will show your phone and your ESN there and then click ok.

Then a winodw will come and you have to click the read from phone which in th ebotton and then it will ask for your MSL code and include that and it will fill up the boxes in the program with your IMEI and other info etc.

After that go to system and on the bottom you can see there are boxes Band preference or something i cant remember where there are a lot of thing to tick and make sure that it will show that everything is marked. The what you should do is untick theB9 which is there for EGSM. When you click this it will automatically untick all the others except any bc tab. Just tick all the others again and make sure B9 is not ticked.

Then under prefferd mode you should select automatic
    Prefred acquisition order as GSM, WCDMA
    Network selection mode automatic
    preferred service domail CS and PS

Then the next step is click write to your phone and it will write that to your phone and you phone will restart and ignore the error messages and when restarting unplug your phone.

Then swtich on your radio connection and select 2g and you are ready to go. NO CALL DROPS you should carefully follow all these steps and plugging you phone again to QPST will go back to factory setting so dont open your phone with QPST again. If there is any complication just let me know.
    mine is 9650,i've followed all your instruction,but still,B9 (EGSM) always ticked,then the 2g signal won't turn into gprs/GPRS or edge/EDGE only GSM all time...
    can you help me?
    02-14-12 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD