I don't know why I haven't seen this yet but I wish blackberry would make the key2 solar charging that would really change the game
    03-26-18 06:42 PM
    I don't know why I haven't seen this yet but I wish blackberry would make the key2 solar charging that would really change the game
    That can barely keep a calculator running.
    03-26-18 06:47 PM
    That can barely keep a calculator running.
    Not being funny but don't solar panels power entire buildings and homes?
    03-26-18 06:50 PM
    Not being funny but don't solar panels power entire buildings and homes?
    They can supplement, yes. And they are always pointed directly at the sun.

How many square inches of panel would you need to maintain 200mA ?
    Last edited by conite; 03-26-18 at 10:50 PM.
    03-26-18 06:51 PM

How many square inches of panel would you need to maintain 2mA ?
    Good question I'm not sure just thought it was a good idea lol
    03-26-18 06:53 PM
    You can already buy solar-charging battery banks that allow you to recharge your phone on the go, and that makes far more sense than having to leave your phone out in the sun for hours at a time trying to charge the battery. Having someone break or steal a $30 power bank is no big deal compared to losing your phone, or having it damaged (rain, dust, overheating, etc.) outside in the sun.

Fifteen bucks at Walmart.

https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/6...3D%26veh%3Dsem
    idssteve likes this.
    03-26-18 10:25 PM
    You can already buy solar-charging battery banks that allow you to recharge your phone on the go, and that makes far more sense than having to leave your phone out in the sun for hours at a time trying to charge the battery. Having someone break or steal a $30 power bank is no big deal compared to losing your phone, or having it damaged (rain, dust, overheating, etc.) outside in the sun.

Fifteen bucks at Walmart.

https://i.imgur.com/VIQWmBE.jpg

https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/6...3D%26veh%3Dsem
    Ok this is cool! But I thought solar was past just using sunlight for example I have a citizens eco drive watch that is powered by any light including in door lights so I was never thinking the phone should be left outside or anything but either way this solar batter bank is a good start lol
    03-27-18 06:56 AM
    Ok this is cool! But I thought solar was past just using sunlight for example I have a citizens eco drive watch that is powered by any light including in door lights so I was never thinking the phone should be left outside or anything but either way this solar batter bank is a good start lol
    Watches with batteries... can run years on one tiny charged battery. Because their power consumption is so small these eco drive are able to provide the power needed even with indoor lighting.

On the other hand a smartphones power consumption is pretty is massive in comparison, and there simply isn't enough surface area to generate the amount of power a smartphone needs... You'd need to leave your phone in direct sunlight for 6 - 8 hours a day if the rear cover was a solar collector. That just isn't practical.

Most the solar power banks, are meant to be charged via USB and allow sunlight to keep them topped off. If you buy one, you'll find that the solar component doesn't work all that efficiently.... best short term results will be in direct sunlight, but the heat will deteriorate the batteries pretty quickly.
    03-27-18 07:40 AM

How many square inches of panel would you need to maintain 200mA ?
    Last I checked, realistically affordable cells were roughly 0.11W/si. Bright sunlight. At 5V usb voltage level that's about 22mA/si. SOooo... 200mA needs about 9si in bright sunlight. That's 3"x3". Of course less direct, or artificial, lighting decreases that significantly. 200mA charge rate would take a LONG time to charge K1, for example. If that level could even keep up.

At the other extreme, 3A @5V usb would require roughly 136si. Or roughly 12"x12". Bright sunlight. Lol.

I fashioned my own roll up panel to charge 9900's JM1s for backpacking, some years back. Was going to post Radio Shack parts only to discover RS is virtually deceased! Ug. RS and JC Whitney were staples of youth! Back in "the day". Lol.
    conite and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-27-18 07:50 AM