11-15-15 11:42 AM
    Good reads. If those infotainment OS's and their apps run on top of QNX it baffles me why our BlackBerry 10 devices can't run any/all apps. It's obviously robust enough.

Z30 wickedness
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-15-15 12:35 PM
    Good reads. If those infotainment OS's and their apps run on top of QNX it baffles me why our BlackBerry 10 devices can't run any/all apps. It's obviously robust enough.

Z30 wickedness
    Biggest hurdle: developer support.....blackberry 10's market share is so low that most developers or development shops aren't interested in creating apps for the platform therefore you have a catch 22 type situation. People won't buy bb10 devices because of lack of apps but developers won't make apps because people don't buy the devices. It's a no win situation

Pimp slappin iGeeks, Droinerds and Windufuses with my big white Z30
    11-15-15 12:47 PM
    Why do they need to develop specifically for BlackBerry? This whole "app for" is utter bull crap. A app should be universal, just like a website/address. My business website was developed in HTML5. It renders the same across my desktop (Windows 7), tablet (PlayBook and Samsung Tab Pro 10.1 and 8.4) and mobile (Z10, Z30 and Passport).

Z30 wickedness
    BerryRipe and gfondeur like this.
    11-15-15 02:19 PM
    First of all, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay don't run "on top" of QNX. They are really just hooked up to QNX to supply the touchscreen and other inputs and outputs - the apps are running on the mobile devices like any other iOS or Android apps. In fact, they are usually going to be the normal apps with additional output formats for the dash screen and car audio. The connectivity comes from the smartphone.

Regarding universal apps, they are always going to be hindered by the need to satisfy the lowest common denominator. In the smartphone hardware arms race every new generation of Android and iOS hardware adds features and functionality such as Touch ID or force touch that is immediately implemented by the most competitive apps. It's a dynamic that fuels the incredible advancements that have revolutionized mobile technology in less than a decade. You want everyone to give that up just because you prefer the Blackberry 10 UI?
    11-15-15 03:25 PM
    Why do they need to develop specifically for BlackBerry? This whole "app for" is utter bull crap. A app should be universal, just like a website/address. My business website was developed in HTML5. It renders the same across my desktop (Windows 7), tablet (PlayBook and Samsung Tab Pro 10.1 and 8.4) and mobile (Z10, Z30 and Passport).

Z30 wickedness
    That's exactly what BlackBerry was banking on. Unfortunately, either html5 didn't have all required functionality or it didn't benefit the company or devs, and never really took off.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 03:35 PM
    Regarding universal apps, they are always going to be hindered by the need to satisfy the lowest common denominator. In the smartphone hardware arms race every new generation of Android and iOS hardware adds features and functionality such as Touch ID or force touch that is immediately implemented by the most competitive apps. It's a dynamic that fuels the incredible advancements that have revolutionized mobile technology in less than a decade. You want everyone to give that up just because you prefer the Blackberry 10 UI?
    This brilliant paragraph explains exactly why the world hasn't gone to all HTML5, but rather continues to expand native app development.
    11-15-15 05:29 PM
    This brilliant paragraph explains exactly why the world hasn't gone to all HTML5, but rather continues to expand native app development.
    In other words: Featuritis drives the industry... ;-D

(instead of interoperability...)

�   AC/CB - back in black or highway to mobile h*ll? ;-P   �
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-15-15 07:17 PM
    And yet on computers despite make, model or OS a website renders almost identical if not identical when developed in HTML5.

Z30 wickedness
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-15-15 07:35 PM
    In other words: Featuritis drives the industry... ;-D

(instead of interoperability...)

�   AC/CB - back in black or highway to mobile h*ll? ;-P   �
    Your personal messages on the bottom of your comments are getting quite creative, I'm enjoying them

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    11-15-15 08:57 PM
    And yet on computers despite make, model or OS a website renders almost identical if not identical when developed in HTML5.
    Yes, but a surprising amount of work goes into making that happen - despite the promise, there are LOTS of differences in how different browsers render HTML5 code, and developers have to test and make adjustments for the major browsers and platforms all the time.

Then, consider that smartphone OSs are much more restricting out of necessity - they don't have 100 gigs of space for the OS on a phone, so the OS has to be kept small. That also means that, for example, mobile browsers are more limited than desktop browsers.

The actual reality is much more complicated than most people realize, and there is no simple "HTML5" type solution to the problem, as much as it would be great if there were.
    11-16-15 12:21 AM
    11-24-15 12:38 PM
    Yes, but a surprising amount of work goes into making that happen - despite the promise, there are LOTS of differences in how different browsers render HTML5 code, and developers have to test and make adjustments for the major browsers and platforms all the time.

Then, consider that smartphone OSs are much more restricting out of necessity - they don't have 100 gigs of space for the OS on a phone, so the OS has to be kept small. That also means that, for example, mobile browsers are more limited than desktop browsers.

The actual reality is much more complicated than most people realize, and there is no simple "HTML5" type solution to the problem, as much as it would be great if there were.
    It's not that difficult. I have a competent Web developer and he ensured our business website was re-developed in HTML5 and to render the same across all devices. (desktop, tablet and mobile) It's exceptional and the cost was not all that much. All companies would be better served to do so.

Z30 wickedness
    11-24-15 01:34 PM
    I just got a 2016 Ford Expedition with Sync 3. So you don't have to wait till next year. It could use some tweaking, but I'm having fun learning all its secrets.
    It works fine with my Z30.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    11-24-15 11:25 PM
    It's not that difficult. I have a competent Web developer and he ensured our business website was re-developed in HTML5 and to render the same across all devices. (desktop, tablet and mobile) It's exceptional and the cost was not all that much. All companies would be better served to do so.

Z30 wickedness
    If HTML5 was the magic solution for the app problem, then BB and even Microsoft (platforms with an app gap) should have build all their apps as HTML5 apps. Why isn't BBM a HTML5 app if it was so easy to just port over to other platforms?
    11-25-15 04:50 AM
    First of all, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay don't run "on top" of QNX. They are really just hooked up to QNX to supply the touchscreen and other inputs and outputs - the apps are running on the mobile devices like any other iOS or Android apps. In fact, they are usually going to be the normal apps with additional output formats for the dash screen and car audio. The connectivity comes from the smartphone.

Android Auto and Apple car play run on top of QNX.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 07:08 AM
    Android Auto and Apple car play run on top of QNX.
    If this is true then why do they need an iPhone or Android smartphone hooked up to it to do anything?
    11-25-15 08:19 AM
    Show me an app built on HTML5 and I will show you a native app that easily kills it in terms of efficiency, features, etc. on 95% of all devices that are out there. Imagine if Uber decided that they wanted to switch to an HTML5 web app. They would immediately be surpassed by Lyft in popularity simply because of a better native app.
    11-25-15 08:24 AM
    If this is true then why do it need an iPhone or Android smartphone hooked up to it to do anything?
    The apps themselves are more communication protocols from one hardware device to another hardware device. The phones don't have to do everything. The phone can actually can have granted access to other hardware data. Even the ability to use the GPS antenna from the vehicle instead. QNX will do all the rendering of the maps and use the phone just for map data and traffic logs. The fact is, companies like Apple have blocked these protocols to third party developers and force everyone to use their own. Then people think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-25-15 08:28 AM
    The phones don't have to do everything. The phone can actually can have granted access to other hardware data. Even the ability to use the GPS antenna from the vehicle instead. QNX will do all the rendering of the maps and use the phone just for map data and traffic logs. The fact is, companies like Apple have blocked these protocols to third party developers and force everyone to use their own.
    Why would I want to do the processing in the dash unit? I already have a data plan that I'm paying for on the smartphone and the music/media that I like. The maps on my smartphone are free and updated real time whereas the car company seems to want me to pay for renewals of the map software and to pay for data. My in-dash unit might easily be over 5 years old whereas my smartphone is much newer. I can run the latest mobile apps on my smartphone and if they build in the car UI then it automatically shows up on my dash unit using CarPlay or Android auto. Also, all of my login info for any service is on my smartphone and I would prefer it to stay there. The mobile UI is the one that I'm familiar with already.

What I need the QNX dash unit for is to provide a touchscreen, speakers, and whatever vehicle info it wants to give. Doesn't that just make more sense? On my smartphone, I already have several choices of maps which I can use depending on who is providing the best real-time traffic data, for example.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-25-15 09:28 AM
    Where I work, we offer all of the above. We have a website that is very well optimized for mobile and we offer apps for Android and iOS.

We can offer better security and more features in the app. Along with better performance and polish. Our users, the vast majority of whom get to us on android and iOS devices, have the choice to use either.

We can measure the effect of this. We can measure significantly higher satisfaction on the apps. Significantly higher volume of transactions. Significantly higher NPS. Reduced fraud.

So why wouldn't we invest in native apps which are accessible to over 99% of our customers? (Including the ones with new BlackBerry Priv's)
    TGR1 likes this.
    11-25-15 09:39 AM
    Why would I want to do the processing in the dash unit? I already have a data plan that I'm paying for on the smartphone and the music/media that I like. The maps on my smartphone are free and updated real time whereas the car company seems to want me to pay for renewals of the map software and to pay for data. My in-dash unit might easily be over 5 years old whereas my smartphone is much newer. I can run the latest mobile apps on my smartphone and if they build in the car UI then it automatically shows up on my dash unit using CarPlay or Android auto. Also, all of my login info for any service is on my smartphone and I would prefer it to stay there. The mobile UI is the one that I'm familiar with already.

What I need the QNX dash unit for is to provide a touchscreen, speakers, and whatever vehicle info it wants to give. Doesn't that just make more sense? On my smartphone, I already have several choices of maps which I can use depending on who is providing the best real-time traffic data, for example.
    You prefer qnx to do most of the processing. It's faster and doesn't have to worry about battery. And you don't have to stream the video over. Steaming processed video actually uses more battery power. With worse resolution results. Why kill the battery of the phone and still have poor video results on the screen?

You have to understand how the system works. Remember, there are limitations right now but in the near future, your phone will be able to data log your car with diagnostics at hand. Just one of the many examples.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 04:50 PM
    You prefer qnx to do most of the processing. It's faster and doesn't have to worry about battery. And you don't have to stream the video over. Steaming processed video actually uses more battery power. With worse resolution results. Why kill the battery of the phone and still have poor video results on the screen?
    With my smartphone plugged in I don't have to worry about the battery. In fact, it's being charged. Whatever you imagine that QNX might be able to do one day, Android and iOS smartphones are already or will soon be doing via Android Auto an Car Play.

QNX simply isn't going to be a major player, here. Just look at the companies that are making major investments in mapping data: Google and Apple. These companies are making major investments in mapping not to mention the cars they are building. QNX might be able to take a shot at this if they are purchased by a company like Microsoft but they won't as a subsidiary of BlackBerry.
    11-27-15 07:05 PM
    With my smartphone plugged in I don't have to worry about the battery. In fact, it's being charged. Whatever you imagine that QNX might be able to do one day, Android and iOS smartphones are already or will soon be doing via Android Auto an Car Play.

QNX simply isn't going to be a major player, here. Just look at the companies that are making major investments in mapping data: Google and Apple. These companies are making major investments in mapping not to mention the cars they are building. QNX might be able to take a shot at this if they are purchased by a company like Microsoft but they won't as a subsidiary of BlackBerry.
    If I was Apple or Google, I wouldn't want to have to interface with each and every unique car, I'd rather make that QNX's problem and just have to interface into QNX.
    There's very little money in what QNX is doing, I doubt Apple or Google really wants to take on the responsibility for a few bucks. The QNX end of things will need LONGTERM support. Neither Google nor Apple have ever heard of the concept, they want to be nimble with new shiny things every year.

Does google make their own bios or did they license something from Phoenix or Award for Chromebooks? I don't know, just asking for discussion. It's similar.

Edit: Looks like its licensed from Insyde?
    11-27-15 07:22 PM

I'm seriously thinking you don't understand what QNX is. And what android auto and car play is.

It's two different things to say the least.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 11:59 AM
58 123