Ok. I just tried this for the first time to compare methods.

ALT+CAP+DEL = a true soft reset. not the same as a bettery pull at all. you will notice the OS does not need to reboot (no hourglass for 2 mins while it loads)
    I also have an 8310 and just did this and I did get the hourglass and it took about a minute and a half to restart. What OS are you on?
    06-02-08 11:28 AM
    thanks for the tip. That will come in handy since I have my new case and taking of the battery ban be a pain.
    06-02-08 11:49 AM
    To make the ALT+CAP+DELETE reset a "hard" reset, you need to do it once, and do it again as your screen comes back from black. That will take it through the whole minute and a half reboot, just like a battery pull.
    06-02-08 11:55 AM
    yep yep...i figured that out after I soft reset it the first and than did it again...I'm glad I found this out whether it does the same effect as a bat pull it still a lot easier when you have a skin on the bb...
    06-02-08 12:12 PM
    Hard Reset = Battery Pull

Soft Reset = ALT+CAP+DEL or Soft Reset App

Device Wipe = Deletes contacts, settings, apps etc...
    I don't want to sound contrary...but can you point me to any documentation that delineates the differences you've listed?

I'm with you 100% on wipe vs. hard reset. My question is around the battery pull vs the keystroke combo reset.

My support person at RIM assures us that the battery pull and the keystroke combo are the same. They however don't provide me any documention regarding this.

The battery pull is cumbersome for most of our users as they are doctors and execs, so having them take their phone apart, can be...un-nerving for some of them.

So I would truly appreciate if you could point me to any supporting documentation please so I can disseminate and push for a procedure change if need be.

Thanks!
    06-02-08 12:18 PM
    I am new to BB and I appreciate all the input I can get. Plus, everybody is so nice here! It's like a little happy-cracky land.
    Welcome to happy-cracky land!
    06-02-08 12:20 PM

So I would truly appreciate if you could point me to any supporting documentation please so I can disseminate and push for a procedure change if need be.

Thanks!
    Differences between hard, soft, and master resets

blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03 903&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=139456912&stateId= 1%200%20139460364]BlackBerry Search Results

Sorry but I can't post a link till I get 10 posts.
    06-02-08 12:42 PM
    Differences between hard, soft, and master resets

blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03 903&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=139456912&stateId= 1%200%20139460364]BlackBerry Search Results

Sorry but I can't post a link till I get 10 posts.
    Very cool! Thank you!
    06-02-08 01:37 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD