OK, we all know that there are two kinds of "soft" resets: battery pull and ALT + CAP + DEL (plus apparently an application you can download), and they all do the same thing, basically; either when one's BB is acting buggy, or when one feels that one's File Free Bytes are dipping too close to 10,000,000, they reset the BB (I suppose not unlike defragging the PC).

Given all that, I kept finding stuff on the Forums (sorry, I can't cite) saying that if one goes the ALT + CAP + DEL route (which is the easiest one; less effort than a battery pull, and takes up no addtional memory like an app would), one should do it twice, but I couldn't find agreement on this point. (And pulling the battery is not a "hard" reset; a "hard" reset is when you have to set the BB all the way back to factory defaults, thereby losing all your data. And you can do that, but BB makes it difficult on purpose, so that you don't do it accidentally.)

So; I ran an experiment.

I started with 20,202,946 bytes free.

I then did ALT + CAP + DEL, but popped it quickly (like hitting a keyboard shortcut); the screen went black, then white, then returned me to my Options > Status screen (where I'd started), which now read 20,202,506 bytes free, with the whole process taking about 15 seconds.

Last, I did ALT + CAP + DEL, but held the keys down for a full second. The screen went black, then white, then hourglass, then white again, then hourglass again, then my carrier logo, then my main screen with the "Verifying Security Software" notice; this took about two and a half minutes. When I went to Options > Status, the screen read 20,235,530 bytes free.

So; if one does ALT + CAP + DEL for one's soft resets, be sure to hold down the keys long enough so that the full process takes place; otherwise, not much happens.

I hope that this post will clear up the issue (if only in my own mind), and might possibly clear up the issue for someone else.
    06-30-08 02:59 PM
    Actually:
    A "soft reset" is ALT/CAP/DEL
    A "hard reset" is a battery pull
    A "master reset" is what you referred to as a hard reset.

How do I reset my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
    That is true, but her point still remains. The soft reset can be used instead of the hard reset 9/10 times!!

I personally try to do the soft reset instead of the hard reset all of the time because it accomplishes the same thing, and I am lazy and do not feel like opening the battery door to yank out my batt (I am only being honest!)

Either way, the same thing is accomplished... so not a biggie. All personal preference and opinion. I wanted to know if she tested the battery pull and have her post the same results up... and see if it lined up the same with the soft reset!!

OP, can you please do that and edit the info into your post!
    06-30-08 03:19 PM
    I wasn't arguing her point, I was simply correcting her terminology so that others (who might not know the difference) would not be confused.
    I know I didn't really mean to make it sound like you were arguing... just kind of clearing it up as well!! I understand what you were doing and I was providing further clarification as well
    06-30-08 03:23 PM
    As a mere User, I am more than willing to defer to an Abuser and a Master. (Mea culpa, and I will go back to my corner).

Given that ALT + CAP + DEL is a "soft" reset, and that a battery pull is a "hard" reset, then what's it called when you fully and intentionally reset your BB all the way back to the Stone Age, so that you lose all your data?
    06-30-08 03:35 PM
    As a mere User, I am more than willing to defer to an Abuser and a Master. (Mea culpa, and I will go back to my corner).

That is ridiculous... just because our "status" is higher because of our number of posts does not mean anything!! You could be correct and we could be mistaken So do not think the rank is some godly sign someone is right!

Given that ALT + CAP + DEL is a "soft" reset, and that a battery pull is a "hard" reset, then what's it called when you fully and intentionally reset your BB all the way back to the Stone Age, so that you lose all your data?
    Going back to the "Stone Age" (as you stated... haha ) is wiping your device! I believe you can also use JL Commander to do a system reset as well... and it is something along those lines!
    06-30-08 03:39 PM
    I know, sorry. I didn't mean to come across defensive. Multi-tasking provides me no time for editing of tone.
    Understandable... I didn't really think you were rude

I am "multi-tasking" as well... slow day at work... FOR SURE!
    06-30-08 03:40 PM
    Holy cow! (No insult intended to our Indian friends.)

You all have collectively channeled Mr. Rogers. You've just made my work day seem tolerable. :-D
    06-30-08 03:43 PM
    Back to work "Mr. Stark".
    haha!! That was such a great movie!
    06-30-08 03:48 PM
    I had no idea about alt-cap-del, thanks for mentioning it. On the Sidekick it's @-1-0 but since I switched to the Curve I didn't know how to do it. Thanks a million!
    06-30-08 05:32 PM
    ALT+CAPS+DEL is a handy way to soft reset your device, but I find that it can be tricky to get it to do the full reset (like pulling the battery would do.)

Even if I hold it, it still takes me three to five tries to get it to do the full reload. I've tried holding it for longer periods of time too, plus tapping them randomly, but nothing seems to make it perform it consistently.

Any suggestions?
    07-18-09 06:29 PM
    Just for the record, there IS a difference between a soft reset and hard reset (battery pull). RIM explains it on their BB web site (sorry no link). It's been posted numerous times though.

The battery pull does indeed do more than a soft reset. Just wanted to make sure no one misunderstood.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 07:11 PM
    alt+cap+del doesn't seem to work on my 8320...seems so much easier than doing a battery pull, too.
    10-13-09 11:12 PM
    You have to use the right CAP to make it work.
    10-14-09 06:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD