I'm sure that we all notice that content is dwindling at an alarming pace. We get the odd news item, lots of plugging of things to buy, BB10 enthusiasts lamenting the fate of that operating system (still the best in my opinion) ...

We enjoyed a brief reprieve when crackberrykevin re-emerged for a short period of time during the ramp up for the KEYone (which I own and love), but really, is there any value here anymore that could be taken up by by AndroidCentral?

BlackBerry doesn't make the devices anymore, which in itself is not an issue (as previously stated, I love my KEYone.

BlackBerry Mobile, although I'm impressed with their first device, and will continue to support them if they continue down the path they started with the KEYone, is not the BlackBerry of old that we all adored.

BlackBerry itself is unrecognizable to me these days, with their focus on the enterprise, IoT ...

I'm sure that I'll get a lot of hate for even suggesting this. So be it I guess.

Take a step back and think this through - is CrackBerry relevant anymore?

Let the games begin.

Don

6750-7250-8830-9700-9700(again)-PlayBook-Z10-Z30-Priv-KEYone
    07-25-17 05:45 PM
    I for one am glad there is a place to discuss BlackBerry-branded devices without getting lost in Android Central. Think of it as a legacy bonus.

It still gets lots of traffic (revenue), so what's the business model for dumping it?
    07-25-17 05:49 PM
    I drop by every day, and to be honest, find little of interest to me anymore. Great if I'm looking for over the ear bluetooth headphones, or simplistic how to's for the KEYone (which I can get elsewhere.

Personally the revenue model is of zero interest.

Nostalgia is great I guess, but the value proposition as a user/consumer is approaching zero.

Sorry to say it, but that's my observation.

Clearly I can stop visiting, which I basically have. Gone are the days where I check in multiple times a day, afraid that I'll miss something. These days it's "pop in occasionally" to see if there's anything of interest.

Sadly, that doesn't happen very often anymore.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers.
    07-25-17 06:14 PM
    it's difficult to post new content when there's nothing going on. it's disappointing for sure. but what can you do. hopefully CB sticks around for a long while.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-25-17 06:17 PM
    you're right though. i miss the heyday when articles were popping up left and right and everyone was on the edge of their seat waiting for that new berry to drop. good times
    rt2567 likes this.
    07-25-17 06:19 PM
    And to be clear, I am a VERY loyal BlackBerry user. Can't conceive of owning a phone from anyone else.

With the demise of the PlayBook I was forced into the Samsung tablet ecosystem, and I hate it. Thank god for Cobalt, so I can make my S2 more like a BlackBerry!
    07-25-17 06:19 PM
    Reminiscing! Those were the good old days! And I say that with all earnestnest.

"Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end" to quote an old song from the 70s.
    07-25-17 06:21 PM
    Agreed .

However, although I get it regarding the BB10 afficionados lamenting it's demise, it gets a little tiresome.

BB10 is done folks ... move on, OR just continually carp (definition of insanity - doing the same thing repeatedly expecting a different result).

I loved my Sony BetaMax (vs. VHS) in the early 80s. Where did that get me?

The best tech doesn't necessarily win. There are SO many other factors.
    07-25-17 06:27 PM
    I mean, I assume that a lot of the content that COULD be getting posted isn't, because crackberry is a TCL advertising arm now.

So even if they spotted some leaks, they couldn't post them, less the run afowl of their corporate masters.

For example, I'm pretty sure they've known about the upgraded/all black Keyone for a while. But they were told not to advertise it, since it probably won't come to North America (other than maybe a special edition, or import).

They've only been allowed to speak of it now, because it's practically common knowledge.

Personally I'm just wondering when the rebranding to "TcrackberryL" will come.

This isn't a disparaging comment, I still like the site, I like the leadership and I think they're done the right thing to keep the lights on.

But I'm also aware that they are now an advertising channel, and I treat them as such.
    valer466 and BigManRonnie like this.
    07-25-17 07:29 PM
    I mean, I assume that a lot of the content that COULD be getting posted isn't, because crackberry is a TCL advertising arm now.

So even if they spotted some leaks, they couldn't post them, less the run afowl of their corporate masters.

For example, I'm pretty sure they've known about the upgraded/all black Keyone for a while. But they were told not to advertise it, since it probably won't come to North America (other than maybe a special edition, or import).

They've only been allowed to speak of it now, because it's practically common knowledge.

Personally I'm just wondering when the rebranding to "TcrackberryL" will come.

This isn't a disparaging comment, I still like the site, I like the leadership and I think they're done the right thing to keep the lights on.

But I'm also aware that they are now an advertising channel, and I treat them as such.
    Crackberry has ALWAYS been subject to NDAs.

To suggest Bla1ze is kowtowing to BlackBerry Mobile is insulting.
    stlabrat likes this.
    07-25-17 07:36 PM

The real news is in the forum anyway.

BlackBerry seems to think so, they offloaded their support forums onto us.

https://global.blackberry.com/en/support/forums
    Gajja, stlabrat, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    07-25-17 07:55 PM
    There is still a strong user base here that is still very active. BlackBerry has also basically made CrackBerry the go to resource for help with all things BlackBerry. Given that there are still people using BBOS and BB10 that may need/want a community. I think CB is still very much needed.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-17 08:46 PM
    I'm sure that we all notice that content is dwindling at an alarming pace. We get the odd news item, lots of plugging of things to buy, BB10 enthusiasts lamenting the fate of that operating system (still the best in my opinion) ...

We enjoyed a brief reprieve when crackberrykevin re-emerged for a short period of time during the ramp up for the KEYone (which I own and love), but really, is there any value here anymore that could be taken up by by AndroidCentral?

BlackBerry doesn't make the devices anymore, which in itself is not an issue (as previously stated, I love my KEYone.

BlackBerry Mobile, although I'm impressed with their first device, and will continue to support them if they continue down the path they started with the KEYone, is not the BlackBerry of old that we all adored.

BlackBerry itself is unrecognizable to me these days, with their focus on the enterprise, IoT ...

I'm sure that I'll get a lot of hate for even suggesting this. So be it I guess.

Let the games begin.

Don

6750-7250-8830-9700-9700(again)-PlayBook-Z10-Z30-Priv-KEYone
    This is all quite harsh...in all seriousness, BlackBerry ought to have been either bankrupt or sold into a hundred pieces by now. It is practically a miracle they are still in business at all, let alone that CB is still here doing what they do...and more relevant than ever, I might add.

Best to be thankful for that and keep looking forward, rather than dwelling on a bygone era. The old BlackBerry is gone, and that is a good thing. Let's move on...
    Gajja, jgreenholtz and Bbnivende like this.
    07-25-17 09:41 PM
    For me, CB will always be relevant as long as I own a BB device, and maybe even if I move on. I like the community, I like the forums, I like being able to help whenever I can, and I like to read about other peoples' experiences. I've learned a lot from others, including little Android hacks that I was totally unaware of until owning an Android BB device.
    07-25-17 09:59 PM
    When is the Q30 coming out?
    In all seriousness I'm grateful for the CB community. I am going to enjoy my BlackBerry devices as long as possible.
    I wish things had turned out differently but they didn't. Can't control what we are debating but we can enjoy the camaraderie while the devices are still functional. As for the business model/viability of CB that's above my pay grade.

Typed from my "new" Q10

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche, Gajja and Bbnivende like this.
    07-25-17 10:30 PM
    it does seem the number of people posting is getting fewer. I've been checking the Priv board since I got mine and it seems the same posts don't move much or stay up longer.
    07-25-17 11:43 PM
    Crackberry has ALWAYS been subject to NDAs.

To suggest Bla1ze is kowtowing to BlackBerry Mobile is insulting.
    Doubtful. Remember it was Bla1ze who leaked the first image of what is now the KEYone over 2 years ago while BlackBerry was still in the hardware game. Did he break his NDA's back then?
    And it's not a stretch for the person you responded to to say that CB knew about this black version all along. Of course they did.
    07-25-17 11:59 PM
    Doubtful. Remember it was Bla1ze who leaked the first image of what is now the KEYone over 2 years ago while BlackBerry was still in the hardware game. Did he break his NDA's back then?
    And it's not a stretch for the person you responded to to say that CB knew about this black version all along. Of course they did.
    The difference is he probably KNOWS what's coming (not just rumour), and has an NDA now.

Anyway, I just refuse to believe the accusation out of hand. Call me naive if you want, but as far as character goes, I'll give people the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise.
    app_Developer and BigBadWulf like this.
    07-26-17 12:06 AM
    The difference is he probably KNOWS what's coming (not just rumour), and has an NDA now.

Anyway, I just refuse to believe the accusation out of hand.
    What accusation? The guy just stated what is likely a fact. It's funny, you won't criticize BlackBerry mobile because you "don't have all the facts" but now suddenly you know for a fact CB has "always" had an NDA. Do you know that a fact?
    07-26-17 12:08 AM
    What accusation? The guy just stated what is likely a fact. It's funny, you won't criticize BlackBerry mobile because you "don't have all the facts" but now suddenly you know for a fact CB has "always" had an NDA. Do you know that a fact?
    They've always worked under NDAs. They have spoken about it publicly. Reviews have always been delayed by many weeks until agreed upon dates. Other details have been withheld at request too over the years.
    07-26-17 12:11 AM
    They've always worked under NDAs. They have spoken about it publicly. Reviews have always been delayed by many weeks until agreed upon dates. Other details have been withheld at request too over the years.
    Okay so explain the original KEYone (or whatever it was called at the time) leaked photos a couple years back?
    Not denying they have NDAs but I highly doubt it's as extreme as you seem to think. We'll maybe now since BlackBerry Mobile pays the bills.
    07-26-17 12:13 AM
    The accusation that Crackberry itself (and its editor) is simply "an advertising channel, and I treat them as such." Being sponsored is a different kettle of fish than being controlled.
    07-26-17 12:15 AM
    The accusation that Crackberry itself (and its editor) is simply "an advertising channel, and I treat them as such." Being sponsored is a different kettle of fish than being controlled.
    If someone is paying for your site and using it as their marketing channel, then in a sense they do have some say or control over the content. It would be pretty naive to think otherwise.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-26-17 12:18 AM
    If someone is paying for your site and using it as their marketing channel, then in a sense they do have some say or control over the content. It would be pretty naive to think otherwise.
    Both Bla1ze and Kevin have specifically refuted that. We can each choose whether to believe them or not.
    07-26-17 12:22 AM
    Both Bla1ze and Kevin have specifically refuted that. We can each choose whether to believe them or not.
    Lol okay then because they totally would admit it if it was true. And I didn't say full control but certainly some level of it. Of course, as you would say, neither of us have all the facts so....or is that only applicable when it's a criticism of BlackBerry Mobile?
    07-26-17 12:26 AM
95 123 ...