I spilled soda on the mic of my bold and now i sound muffled to others. I think the soda built a film or layer over the mic. I tried cleaning the shell but it didn't help so i'm assuming it's actually on the mic or the fabric thing covering the mic on the motherboard. I was thinking about soaking that part in 99% alcohol. Would this work or do you guys have any other solutions?. Any help would be appreciated!
    09-02-10 08:49 AM
    It can work, but it depends on you!

I've done it, I wouldn't soak it, but would apply alcohol to the affected area with a saturated cotton swab.

Make sure the battery is pulled, and remains out for 24 hours after to make sure the alcohol is evaporated.

Also if you used whisky, what would we get? A rye and coke, a rye and ginger? (Sorry just trying to make light of your situation)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 09:44 AM
    coke and whiskey lol. would 70% work? it's very hard to find anything more concentrated than that locally.

09-02-10 01:03 PM
    coke and whiskey lol. would 70% work? it's very hard to find anything more concentrated than that locally.

Why not try the alchohol used for cleansing wounds? You could probably find that stuff at a drug store, or pharmacy. Or even try those alcohol wipes you could find in any first aid kit.
    Last edited by chrisvee; 09-02-10 at 01:25 PM.
    09-02-10 01:23 PM
    Any rubbing alcohol will work. And I would think a couple hours dry time is sufficient. Alcohol evaporates pretty quick. Never waited any longer than that myself. Let us know how it turns out.

09-02-10 01:31 PM
    I'll give it a try. thanks everyone!

09-02-10 01:40 PM
    The purer the alcohol the better. It's expensive, you might be able to find fairly pure, denatured (made undrinkable) alcohol, at a hardware store, or home store, expensive but less so. 90, 95 % is good.
    09-02-10 01:48 PM
    The purer the alcohol the better. It's expensive, you might be able to find fairly pure, denatured (made undrinkable) alcohol, at a hardware store, or home store, expensive but less so. 90, 95 % is good.
    Yes, highest % isopropyl alcohol would be the best. Just be sure not to use fingernail polish remover. Ive seen that stuff eat straight through plastic.
    09-02-10 02:03 PM
    Debatured alcohol will melt some plastics too. I use it to un-cloud the radio display on my motorcycle but it messes up the adjacent areas if I overapply . I'd try the 70%. Like Fubar said use a Q-tip rather than soaking it, would be fairly easy to ruin it altogether!

09-02-10 06:15 PM
    09-02-10 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD