This doesn't make sense to me, there is a lot of raving going around about the android run time being upgraded in 10.2.1. Additionally there is just as much raving going on about installing .APK's and android apps.

If you really wanted all this why not just buy android, it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not discouraging anyone from doing this or being excited by the changes, but this is easily available on any android device without all the hassle.

Blackberry was a unique brand, now it seems that it will allow any exterior factor to influence it's design/operation.

It's just really an DroidBerry.

It's sort of hypocritical to question androids security and make fun of knox when really you now have a potential of introducing malicious software on your blackberry.

I seriously question the security of any blackberry device with side loaded or installed android apps or apks.

I'm not looking for a fight or to offend any one, but the hypocrisy is huge here.

Blackberry has branched off too many limbs that it can no longer sustain it's self as a whole,

There are still people using os 5

They have the os 7 die hard's who are canibilizing os 10 sales.

They have the os 10 diehards who don't care for android

They have the os 10/Android die hards - is this even a market or target audience?

They have no clear plan for the future.

What are they selling and who are they selling it to?

Also, why should developers be encouraged to make bb10 native apps anymore since they can just make 1 android app for both platforms. No wonder google agreed to this, blackberry is killing it's self.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zten; 02-01-14 at 02:02 PM.
    tdoog, DrBoomBotz, neo158 and 1 others like this.
    02-01-14 11:17 AM
    No. I'm using a BlackBerry.

Posted via the Diva's BlackBerry Z10.
    02-01-14 11:24 AM
    No. I'm using a BlackBerry.

Posted via the Diva's BlackBerry Z10.
    Agreed. Using a Blackberry here too.

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    adjdudley21 and FastLane228 like this.
    02-01-14 11:29 AM
    They are just apps, not a change in OS.
    Yea but since they aren't making anymore consumer devices anyways besides the J-series it just seems that this whole 'introduce android apps to bb10' is a band aid to keep those disgruntled bb10 owners who bought bb10 expecting many apps.

Posted via CB10
    I installed a few apps on my Z10 but then quickly removed them as well. If I want to use Android apps, I'll fire up my Nexus. They simply work better and integrate with the rest of the device better IMO.

I only put native, made for BB10 apps on my Z10.
    02-01-14 11:34 AM
    They are just apps, not a change in OS.
    This isn't true lol, android 4.2.2 run time runs those apps, sigh.

Posted via CB10
    tdoog likes this.
    02-01-14 11:35 AM
    This isn't true lol, android 4.2.2 run time runs those apps, sigh.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and the android runtime has always been a part of the OS. That's how they made the porting easy and how we have had things like Skype in BB World.
    02-01-14 11:37 AM
    Yea but since they aren't making anymore consumer devices anyways besides the J-series it just seems that this whole 'introduce android apps to bb10' is a band aid to keep those disgruntled bb10 owners who bought bb10 expecting many apps.

Posted via CB10
    But is it a bad thing to at least give BB10 customers a means/choice to access the apps that that they want that are currently not available in BB World? I think not.

Sent from my iPod touch using CB Forums mobile app
    02-01-14 11:38 AM
    I don't get some people. There is more to an OS then apps. Sure I have Android apps, does that mean I can't use the gestures, hub, keyboard, etc.?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:40 AM
    I seriously question the security of any blackberry device with side loaded or installed android apps or apks.

Posted via CB10
    So do I!

I have zero Android apps on my Q10. I remember when BlackBerry users were clamoring for better screens, browser, and cameras, now it's all about apps. Android phone are to "busy" for my taste.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    02-01-14 11:41 AM
    This doesn't make sense to me, there is a lot of raving going around about the android run time being upgraded in 10.2.1. Additionally there is just as much raving going on about installing .APK's and android apps.

If you really wanted all this why not just buy android, it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not discouraging anyone from doing this or being excited by the changes, but this is easily available on any android device without all the hassle.

Blackberry was a unique brand, now it seems that it will allow any exterior factor to influence it's design/operation.

It's just really an DroidBerry.

It's sort of hypocritical to question androids security and make fun of knox when really you now have a potential of introducing malicious software on your blackberry.

I'm not looking for a fight or to offend any one, but the hypocrisy is huge here.

Posted via CB10
    Plain and simple, there are some features of BB10 that are way better than what Android or even iOS have to offer. Things like the hub, true multitasking and gestures are far superior on BB10. Security is an OS thing so installing some Android apps will not compromise my BlackBerry's security. Android as an OS is susceptible to malware, that's why Knox will never be a threat to BB on the security front. Also as I type this I realize how much better word prediction and auto correct is on BB10 than using SwiftKey keyboard on Android. BB made better SwiftKey keyboard than SwiftKey.

Posted from Xperia Tablet Z via the Android CrackBerry App!
    SDTRMG, yeohda, web99 and 3 others like this.
    02-01-14 11:41 AM
    But is it a bad thing to at least give BB10 customers a means/choice to access the apps that that they want that are currently not available in BB World? I think not.

Sent from my iPod touch using CB Forums mobile app
    Guess that depends on how you look at it, if you are stuck in a contract and can't really get out of your BlackBerry then I guess having some apps from a different platform is a temporary fix to your problem.

Does blackberry really expect seamless integration between android and it's native os and is there even a market for this type of system? Are they even marketing this, is this the future of blackberry? Or is it a fix for current BlackBerry owners to just have some apps?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:42 AM
    Oh come on, Android is just a part of BlackBerry 10.

And.. I like the physical keyboard. Buahaha.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10
    02-01-14 11:43 AM
    Spent the day looking for an Android device that had a hub, peek, flow, BlackBerry keyboard and fully gesture based OS.
    ......odd.....couldn't find one

CB10'n it via da Z
    02-01-14 11:43 AM
    Giving blackberry owners access to android apps is a way to stop further people from leaving the platform based on the 'no apps' argument.

Will it attract new customers with this hybrid structure?

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 likes this.
    02-01-14 11:44 AM
    I guess everyone will see this differently. I see it as icing on the cake. My z10 now has double the uniqueness as before. Strange though, after going through a bunch of Android apps, I only wanted one. BlackBerry World is still the main event and always will be. It really is hard to please everyone at the same time. Plus, if you don't want Android Apps on your phone, you simply don't download them.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:44 AM
    Don't think it's hypocrisy at all. It's enhancing the BB10 experience for me. I havent downloaded many Android apps....juat a couple for that matter.

It still says BlackBerry at the bottom of my phone.

Posted with my Z10
    web99, mk2234 and bungaboy like this.
    02-01-14 11:46 AM
    Android runtime in 10.2.1 was not a game changer for me (I have 0 direct apk installs). I liked the other features more than the runtime. I did testing some time ago and found android devices lacking in email support (long delay, poor international character support). I do like options and happy to have the droudomonster but no, I am still happy with my purchase.

From the other side, why would you get a pure android if you can get that plus BlackBerry experience and security? Once BlackBerry integrates Google services (I guess they will) then it would be very questionable why to get one of those droids.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:49 AM
    Android runtime in 10.2.1 was not a game changer for me (I have 0 direct apk installs). I liked the other features more than the runtime. I did testing some time ago and found android devices lacking in email support (long delay, poor international character support). I do like options and happy to have the droudomonster but no, I am still happy with my purchase.

From the other side, why would you get a pure android if you can get that plus BlackBerry experience and security? Once BlackBerry integrates Google services (I guess they will) then it would be very questionable why to get one of those droids.

Posted via CB10
    Because you obviously need android/google for your blackberry experience to be optimal. I don't know any one who uses android that wishes they had blackberry integration for their android experience to be optimal.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:51 AM
    BB10 = Hub + gesture navigation + best keyboard + most efficient communication/sharing paradigm + uncluttered interface + BBM video/screen share + Android Runtime capability.

Unless I didn't care about first 6 arguments to that equation, then sure... I see your point, why not just get an Android device. But I do care about those 6 first components since they make up the majority of my device usage. The ability to more easily install and run android apps is just another (great) component which only serves to add utility to what is already a powerful device.
    xBURK, web99, eddy_berry and 8 others like this.
    02-01-14 11:53 AM
    One word: Choice.
    mk2234 and xBURK like this.
    02-01-14 11:54 AM
    BB10 = Hub + gesture navigation + best keyboard + most efficient communication/sharing paradigm + uncluttered interface + BBM video/screen share + Android Runtime capability.

Unless I didn't care about first 6 arguments to that equation, then sure... I see your point, why not just get an Android device. But I do care about those 6 first components since they make up the majority of my device usage. The ability to more easily install and run android apps is just another (great) component which only serves to add utility to what is already a powerful device.
    Yet blackberry can't succeed and has terrible sales with just the first 6 components you mention, hypocrisy.

40 million s4's were sold without a hub.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:54 AM
    Yet blackberry can't succeed and has terrible sales with just the first 6 components you mention, hypocrisy.

40 million s4's were sold without a hub.

Posted via CB10
    And here we are with the whole sales thing again. Majority can't . even go to a store and see a functional bb10 phone to play with Smh.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:57 AM
    Blackberry has branched off too many limbs that it can no longer sustain it's self as a whole,

There are still people using os 5

They have the os 7 die hard's who are canibilizing os 10 sales.

They have the os 10 diehards who don't care for android

They have the os 10/Android die hards

They have no clear plan for the future.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:58 AM
186 123 ...