So heres a random thought i just had...
    What happens once RIM comes out with the 9990 or something?? do they start making their phones 10xxx? or do they drop the numbers and just go with the names?
    03-14-10 10:36 PM
    I'm scratching my head.........
    03-14-10 11:25 PM
    What r u confused about?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 11:26 PM
    Right now they aren't adding to many new additions to the lineup aside from that new slider. So I guess they use what they have and change the last 2 numbers. Next storm should be the 9580? That's just a dumb guess.

03-14-10 11:35 PM
    when a rumor for the 9990 surpasses..there will be 4 million threads about when its going to be released,what features it will have,is it worth the upgrade etc etc
    03-14-10 11:37 PM
    that's not what I'm getting at. At what point does RIM drop the numbers, eventually it will have to happen, won't it? If the nxt storm could b the 9580, what's after that? It can't just keep going to 96XX cuz that exists already.

03-14-10 11:39 PM
    My guess is that the storm will not see a fourth generation model. They will start a new line. I'm still suprised this slider isn't replacing it. Seems like the storm got a bad rep. Think about how much more they have to work with, as far as the numbers are concerned. Probably be 20 years before they even come close to running out of combinations

03-14-10 11:44 PM
    when a rumor for the 9990 surpasses..there will be 4 million threads about when its going to be released,what features it will have,is it worth the upgrade etc etc
    What?? Haha

03-14-10 11:45 PM
    Right now they aren't adding to many new additions to the lineup aside from that new slider. So I guess they use what they have and change the last 2 numbers. Next storm should be the 9580? That's just a dumb guess.

I agree with that. Not necessarily with the exact number, but that they will continue changing the last numbers.

Although, I wouldn't mind seeing the blackberry's go by their code names more often...
    03-14-10 11:52 PM
    I agree with that. Not necessarily with the exact number, but that they will continue changing the last numbers.

Although, I wouldn't mind seeing the blackberry's go by their code names more often...
    How sweet would that be?

03-14-10 11:54 PM
    I'm all for just the names, when ppl ask me what phone I have I say "storm" not "9530"

03-14-10 11:59 PM
    Damn... That just made me realize I refer to my BB as a 9550 haha.

03-15-10 12:06 AM
    I think they'll probably just start using the name instead of numbers, but who knows.

03-15-10 12:09 AM
    The phones are already designated by a name, and there's a simple reason for this. As Intel found to their cost when competitors cloned the functionality and designation of microprocessor chips, it is not possible to take a trademark or other unique branding on a simple number and the name is necessary to protect intellectual property and business rights.
    03-15-10 06:06 AM
    So heres a random thought i just had...
    What happens once RIM comes out with the 9990 or something?? do they start making their phones 10xxx? or do they drop the numbers and just go with the names?
    That is a interesting thought.

I have no idea what that will do.

I don't think a ' blackberry 10830 ' sounds too good to me.

Names are probably the way.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-15-10 07:00 AM
    The 3rd generation Pearl will be the 10100...

...hmmm, starts looking like binary code.

I actually wondered the same thing last week. Will RIM jump to the 10xxx series of numbers once they start working on the follow-up to current 9xxx series of devices?

03-15-10 09:04 AM
    Well if you know about binary then you know about HEX too

How about the A010?

Or how about some other numeric alphabet and the BlackBerry X1?

03-15-10 09:06 AM
    they'll run out of numbers to use and actually have to give their phones NAMES!! omg..
    03-15-10 09:15 AM
    They cannot run out of numbers.

It is not physically possible to run out of numbers because maths is abstract and not physically constrained.

03-15-10 09:18 AM
    To heck with the numbers. Names = brand equity.

BOLD
    CURVE
    STORM

That's all we need. If Apple can succeed with one phone, RIM can with three.
    03-15-10 09:43 AM
    Too many names will blur into confusion. The human mind can manage from 3 to 7 (according to psychology text books).

Some customers aren't as clever so best to keep it to 3 names.

Then how do you distinguish between many versions with the same name?

03-15-10 09:52 AM
    How many names has RIM used so far?

Storm, Tour, Bold, Curve, Indigo, Pearl, Flip, Electron...

Oops, that's more than 7 so they are slipping into consumer confusion

03-15-10 09:56 AM
    that's not what I'm getting at. At what point does RIM drop the numbers, eventually it will have to happen, won't it? If the nxt storm could b the 9580, what's after that? It can't just keep going to 96XX cuz that exists already.

I get what you are saying, if RIM eventually makes a BB 9990, the the next one made after that would either need to be named a specific name or it would be a BB 10000. Good thought, you have me wondering now too. My guess is it would just have a specific name rather that a model number, but who knows. Blackberry 10000 just sounds lame lol.
    03-15-10 10:06 AM
    As I have pointed out, you are both wrong.

The base counting alphabet is not constrained to the set of numbers {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}

By convention, it is perfectly reasonable to count with the numbers ..8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F, 10, 11..

Consequently, RIM can follow 9999 with A000 and this would be conventional counting (base 16).

They can also use a different base, and they can use an unconventional alphabet.

I think one of the earliest human counting systems had sixty-four characters, meaning that they could count from zero to sixty-four without using more than one character.

Counting with base 10 is the same as finger counting. Surely you can move beyond that?

I think it would be very elegant for RIM to adopt the X1 or similar and it could easily be synonymous with 10000.

03-15-10 11:11 AM
    Why not start with just the single digit of 1 or "uno" if you prefer a name instead of digit .I don't think there ever was a blackberry 1 or blackberry uno

03-15-10 05:31 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD